`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Venting.... Opinions valued

RE: Venting.... Opinions valued
I would say around 6-8 months ago the default setting changed from Mint to NrMt. However... they were not automatically changed for most of us (me included) Therefor I changed what I can and gave up because of some site problems. I for one take that into consideration and will either change it when the trade is active or will cut a percentage off. I know this as a fact. My chisel has carved this stone with my bare hands. Smile
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

(02-11-2013, 10:34 PM)muz0 Wrote: I would say around 6-8 months ago the default setting changed from Mint to NrMt. However... they were not automatically changed for most of us (me included) Therefor I changed what I can and gave up because of some site problems. I for one take that into consideration and will either change it when the trade is active or will cut a percentage off. I know this as a fact. My chisel has carved this stone with my bare hands. Smile
This may be the issue right here. I know its Nm-Mt now but I have redone my organize and I do recall the time where it was mint. Although I recall it being short lived.

If a guys sending an offer over and not adjusting accordingly though it comes across as intentional.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

1. You're well within your right to gripe if a trader is taking longer than 2 weeks to ship without explanation. Personally, I think all trades should go out within a week of acceptance (if not sooner). I"ve had rare instances come up where it's taken me longer than expected to ship. So, if I'm not able to get my trades out by the saturday following acceptance of a trade, I let the other trader know.

2. I wouldn't necessarily assume that traders who mark their cards as mint are trying to gain an edge. Usually it's just a matter of laziness in not switching the values on their cards after the system changed about a year ago. I find it annoying though, because when I do a trade with someone who has their cards marked as mint, it screws up MY org.

When I do encounter this, I just knock 25% off the value on their end. If my end is showing $100 NRMT and theirs is showing $125 Mint, I call it even and let them know it.

I've pointed this out to traders on multiple occasions and only 1 time has the guy insisted that his cards were "mint." I was like, yeah, so are mine, but we all trade using a NRMT default because we're dealing in ungraded cards and that it makes sense for trading purposes (so as not to jack up the BV in trades). He laughed me off.

(Mind you, we were talking about low-end modern cards. And I was very friendly about it. Something along the lines of, 'hey, man, I noticed you're cards are all marked as mint, which makes it hard to trade apples to apples. If you do a lot of trading on here, you're bound to hear the same thing. Doesn't bother me, as long as we're on the same page here.')
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

As for shipping, I travel a lot (sometimes on short notice) and some of my work days wind up being 16 hours on no notice at all and I can't always make it to the PO when I want to... my life is as busy as anyone else. But I always try to go out of my way to let people know up front, before they accept, if anything is going to delay my ship. Life happens, but anything other than the most dire emergency I think at least a little communication is warranted.

I aim for 48 hours absolute max to ship out, and try to do 24 whenever I can. I don't hold others to standards as high as my own, but I think if you're not going to ship within a week for some reason, you'd better be saying so up front before I accept. I know emergencies happen, though (even to me) so if a trader stays in touch and communicates with me I will put up with a lot.

As for condition, I load anything that I feel is "pack fresh" and has no other obvious flaws as NrMt (which is the default in org as far as I can tell). I hate when people have cards graded as mint in trades because it means extra math for me. Maybe if you are a professional grader and you know that card is going to grade as a 9 or a 10, go ahead. But I have my doubts... Smile so I just downgrade the value in the trade and make the trade in my favor. If the minty mint guy doesn't accept my offer, so be it. I also expect that anyone that doesn't like the condition of something I send them will speak up.

At the end of the day, I'm in this to have fun so I try to just be laid back about all of it. Helps me keep my sanity.
I need the 2013 Johnny Cueto Turkey Red Cyan Printing Plate - will pay a Finder's Fee!

Looking for any and all Cincinnati Reds...

Bucket out of order until I figure out how the new Photobucket site works.

This is just a general comment.

The default is Nm-Mt.

Just leave it that way.

Changing it to MT just makes you a DB.

Unless they're actually graded that way, your cards are not better than anyone else's.

There, problem solved!

It is easy to self grade a card as raw Mint if you know what you are looking for. That is a BGS 9.

It would be completely different if people were trying to say something would grade out a Gem Mint but to inspect centering, edges, corners, surface and the factors that effect each is not hard.

My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

I've had very, very few unpleasant experiences since I started trading on Beckett. But there have been a few things that's irked me even in good trades. One, I completely agree that traders should communicate if they're not able to ship within a week of trade acceptance. Granted, there are those select occasions where crap happens. But most of us are fairly connected enough these days to shoot the other guy a message within a week if you haven't shipped. It just seems a courtesy to me.

Second, and this has happened a lot to me lately (though all have been acceptably rectified), is traders not pulling and checking the cards involved before accepting a trade. Unless you absolutely know the cards, it seems common sense to me to pull the cards before accepting the trade. Several traders have contacted me lately after accepting a trade saying "I can't locate this card & that card." They've all offer to replace the missing cards and are genuinely apologetic, but it can be frustrating at times.

Third, the whole thing with someone having almost every card on their FT list being marked as 'Mint', can be frustrating as well. I usually only deal with these traders if they have cards I really want...I'll just bite the bullet. Otherwise, I just cancel the trade posting "Not Interested..."

And lastly, using & sharing a DC# number when you ship. Only once since I started trading was I not able to do this due to the amount of trades I was shipping and my current funds. But I let every trader know this, out of respect and humbly apologizing.

Just my two cents. And yes, I do know there are always those 'whoops!' moments...it's happened to me. But communication is always the best answer and remedy.

Be Well everyone!
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

(02-12-2013, 12:18 AM)Mikarlo Wrote: I've had very, very few unpleasant experiences since I started trading on Beckett. But there have been a few things that's irked me even in good trades. One, I completely agree that traders should communicate if they're not able to ship within a week of trade acceptance. Granted, there are those select occasions where crap happens. But most of us are fairly connected enough these days to shoot the other guy a message within a week if you haven't shipped. It just seems a courtesy to me.

Second, and this has happened a lot to me lately (though all have been acceptably rectified), is traders not pulling and checking the cards involved before accepting a trade. Unless you absolutely know the cards, it seems common sense to me to pull the cards before accepting the trade. Several traders have contacted me lately after accepting a trade saying "I can't locate this card & that card." They've all offer to replace the missing cards and are genuinely apologetic, but it can be frustrating at times.

And lastly, using & sharing a DC# number when you ship. Only once since I started trading was I not able to do this due to the amount of trades I was shipping and my current funds. But I let every trader know this, out of respect and humbly apologizing.

Just my two cents. And yes, I do know there are always those 'whoops!' moments...it's happened to me. But communication is always the best answer and remedy.

Be Well everyone!

You make some good points. I learned the hard way some time ago to never accept if you don't have them pulled or know 100% you have them. Especially now that so many are active on other sites.

The DC thing is a huge issue for me. About 98% of the time when I trade I immediately enter the DC into the comments. This avoids any questions or issues that may arise with a trader and when he truly sent. The only time I don't is when I am pushed out the door for work and trying to toss one more trade in the mail. In this case I think the recipient appreciates that I shipped it sooner than later.

I rarely ever get a DC sent to me on trades though. It's common courtesy and very helpful to all involved. I save every invoice or receipt and have them stacked in order by date. Just a few weeks back a guy messaged saying his DC said his card was in the wrong town so I pulled the invoice to confirm all was well. It was correct and he got the card two days later. Having this all at your finger tips and in the comments makes communication and trust way easier.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I am close to 500 trades here on Beckett and have run into the same things as you have stated.
If my trading partner does not ship within a week I begin to drop e-mails or pms to get a reply. Most of the time Life just got in the way.

As for people marking their items as mint, I inform them that they need to set their items to NRMT-MT (LVL 8 I BELIEVE) and let them know that is the standard we on this trading site have agreed to. Usually they will change the grading. Some do not understand how and why, so directions are given on how and why.
If they insist on staying MINT I will either cancel the trade or go in and change the cards of the trade to MINT.

As for slow shippers, I am one due to medical conditions that prevent me from working on trades and getting them to the PO. I usually ship once a week and set up pick ups from the Post Office.
Recently I have gotten better so I wind up getting packages out within 2 days

Now my little rant is over, thanks for reading and hopefully understanding

GRIFFIN
Looking for all parallel sets from the 2007 Topps Co Signers sets

(02-11-2013, 09:57 PM)Burmalocity Wrote: I probably wouldn't care as much normally, but this negligence is really making me look bad on another deal, I had no idea I would have to wait a month to get the cards (which would be the best case scenario here)
This is the very reason I don't mark the cards for trade until they actually arive to me. You never know when you will get them, so I don't try to trade them until they are in my hands.
as for the shipping point, I always try to get cards mailed out within a day or two. but there are times when I unexpectedly forced to do a 16 hour shift and turn around and be back at work in 8 hours. So this delays shipping at times, but I always inform the other trader...It isn't laziness, at least for me.
[Image: thCA4A41M6_zps6c3e4a45.jpg]