`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2012 Topps Value Box dilemma and 1st Break

2012 Topps Value Box dilemma and 1st Break
I have my first ever hobby box break tonight, very excited and hope the hits are good! Got a steal of a deal for the 2012 Topps Football for just $58!

My question is on these 2012 Topps Value Boxes. I have opened a ton of these and have 4 more waiting. They come with 5 packs, a pack of Platinum cards, and either a RG3 or Andrew Luck Rookie Refractor RC... The Rookie Refractor comes in a seperate clear pack with a Topps Giveaway code card in the pack. All of these so far have a slight bend in the card. My question is, would this Rookie Refractor be more valuable left in the sealed pack or opened and put in a toploader? Or does it matter?Maybe it will get rid of the bend a little?

Also, out of the last Platinum pack, I pulled a weird silver card signed by Dwight Jones (#162) It says it is the ACTUAL CYAN PRINTING PLATE USED TO MANUFACTURE CARD...PLATE IS A ONE OF A KIND COLLECTIBLE.. 1 OF 1

I can not find any info at all on this, does anyone know what this is or what the approx value would be?

Thanks all in advance for your help, expertise, and knowledge!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: 2012 Topps Value Box dilemma and 1st Break
Sounds like a printing plate....
All in with pocket Aces.... Andre Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.

Not to be a smart butt it its exactly what it sounds like...a printing plate used to make the card. There is one plate for each of the four printing colors. Each one is unique and it is the only one out there. It has no value, so you can either check ebay for closed 1/1 auctions of the guy, trade it where you are both comfy at, or list it bin obo and see what offers you get. Either way congrats
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

There's one of the same card, same player but probably a different color plate on E-bay for $73.00. unless that's your card. His Regular Topps Platinum auto is going for $5.00.
Big Grin 
thats weird, i looked it up and mine looks just like that but it is more transparent looking. Sorry, I know nothing of this stuff (but I do now thanks to you guys!)

Also, never heard of this dude Dwight Jones. Maybe I should put mine on Ebay for 72.99 and beat the competition ? haha

Thanks for your all's help! Any recommendation on whether or not I should put these Rookie Refractor RG3s and Andrew Luck in a toploader, or should I leave them sealed in the plastic wrap with the Topps Giveaway 'Congratulations' card. Like I said too, every single one of them I have is slightly curved/bent up the middle. Maybe from the way they were packaged? The card(s) I speak of are exclusive to the red Value Box of the 2012 Topps. I can scan a pic if that helps.

(02-11-2013, 11:50 PM)khalz75 Wrote: thats weird, i looked it up and mine looks just like that but it is more transparent looking. Sorry, I know nothing of this stuff (but I do now thanks to you guys!)

Also, never heard of this dude Dwight Jones. Maybe I should put mine on Ebay for 72.99 and beat the competition ? haha

Thanks for your all's help! Any recommendation on whether or not I should put these Rookie Refractor RG3s and Andrew Luck in a toploader, or should I leave them sealed in the plastic wrap with the Topps Giveaway 'Congratulations' card. Like I said too, every single one of them I have is slightly curved/bent up the middle. Maybe from the way they were packaged? The card(s) I speak of are exclusive to the red Value Box of the 2012 Topps. I can scan a pic if that helps.
I would just put the cards in top loaders. They are selling for about $5 on Ebay.

Not bad
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

(02-16-2013, 08:39 PM)BayAreaJavy Wrote: I would just put the cards in top loaders. They are selling for about $5 on Ebay.
Seconded. Nice pull on the printing plate, no matter who it is!
[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

That's some pretty good stuff! The slight bends are ok on those refractor cards. Majority of the topps cards using the chrome/refractor technology has that little bend. You can put them in a top loader with or without the wrapper and just leave them in there to flatten them out.
As for the printing plate, that's a great pull, not the highest value because of the player(not one of the top offensive rookies) but a ridiculous pull considering its a 1/1 AUTO printing plate, and it was 1 HOBBY pack packaged with some regular topps packs.