`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How do companies decide which players are going to be in their products?

How do companies decide which players are going to be in their products?
Just curious?

Also do collectors have a say?

Im asking because Zach Thomas has had ZERO cards issued since 2009 and Jason Taylor has had only 4 since 2010. Needless to say Id love to see some booklets and autos of these guys. If I contacted Topps, Panini, Upper Deck etc. Would it help or be a waste of time?
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

RE: How do companies decide which players are going to be in their products?
They use a dart board? They cater to what 95% want, offensive skill positions or current higher profile players. Nothing bad about your two main guys you collect, but thousands of people don't chase them so why would they bother? The card companies are like anyone else, they are in it for the money. I want a Blair Walsh card, am I going to get one? I doubt it. Sad
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

(02-11-2013, 04:25 PM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: They use a dart board? They cater to what 95% want, offensive skill positions or current higher profile players. Nothing bad about your two main guys you collect, but thousands of people don't chase them so why would they bother? The card companies are like anyone else, they are in it for the money. I want a Blair Walsh card, am I going to get one? I doubt it. Sad
pray to god for another topps total Tongue
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(02-11-2013, 04:32 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: pray to god for another topps total Tongue
+1
[Image: alanch-1.png]
-Banner Courtesy of rogue655-

Jim Leonhard Needs:
2005 Longevity Holofoil /25
2009 SPx Super Scripts Autographs Eight /8

Joel Effertz Needs:
2013 Bowman Draft Black Paper /1, Black Plate /1, Cyan Plate /1

(02-11-2013, 04:25 PM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: I want a Blair Walsh card, am I going to get one? I doubt it. Sad
And now that I check again he has a contenders I guess
http://www.beckett.com/football/2012/pan...rc-9038117
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

(02-11-2013, 04:32 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: pray to god for another topps total Tongue
Shockingly Topps Total did produce a JT auto in 2003...lol. Gotta love Topps Total!!!

[Image: 08-05-2011033642PM.jpg]
(02-11-2013, 04:55 PM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: And now that I check again he has a contenders I guess
Congrats man! Lets hope its not a SP though (unless you want it to be a SP) lol.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(02-11-2013, 03:57 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Just curious?

Also do collectors have a say?

Im asking because Zach Thomas has had ZERO cards issued since 2009 and Jason Taylor has had only 4 since 2010. Needless to say Id love to see some booklets and autos of these guys. If I contacted Topps, Panini, Upper Deck etc. Would it help or be a waste of time?
Remember that to produce cards with a person's likeness they need to get a license - as far as who to get licenses from, I would assume it is a combination of the following:

1) Cost - the card companies will have to pay a person for the right to produce cards (although i believe with current players that is covered in the union contract, but clearly a retired legend player would be required to have an individual contact and a company like SAGE or Press Pass would operate solely with individual contracts with players - and of course, to get a player to sign autographs would require a payment to them by the card company for that service) as well as fees for autographs. Every year it seems that card companies produce some cards of people simply because they are cheap. That probably explains why every card company produces cards of an undrafted free agent - chances are, it doesn't cost a lot to get an undrafted free agent practice squad player signed to a contract to sign autographs.

2) Interest - obviously card companies will pay more to get a top signer (including some Hall of Famers, top draft picks, current stars, etc.) becauise that sells products. However, with people who cost more, chances are they will sign them to sign a small number of cards.

3) Focusing on what is popular - mainly offensive skills players versus defense. Few offensive linesmen because to have to sign an individual contract to get autographs they are going to focus their costs on the players likely to generate the most return.

4) Whose former "game worn, event worn, possibly worn while washing the car, watching television, or held during rookie premiere - or maybe evne sold to us as "game worn" when it is in fact fake" jersies they happen to have lying around.

In fact, I suspect that one reason why it seems that every card company has the same group of "legends" signing is that many of the old time players may well actually need the money. Or they don't and simply like being on cards so the companies can sign them for cheap.

In fact, I would suspect that the reason why Legend A gets tons of cards and Legend B gets none is solely because for whatever reason Legend A is willing to sign and Legend B is not. It could simply be that Legend B is asking for too much money (and isn't popular enough that they go ahead and pay for a couple of autographs anyway to have that as a selling point)

Going one further. Why do they organize the checklist the way they do? I know sometimes it's sorted by team, but maybe it'd be fun to sort them by position, experience, fantasy points, etc etc.

(02-11-2013, 04:55 PM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: And now that I check again he has a contenders I guess
Tracy Hackler has assured me that Blair Walsh will not be an "insanely SP card." - in a reply to my post on the Knights Lance.

Seriously. Check the Panini blog - I've been posting nonstop about including Blair in a product - and when I didn't see ANY Walsh autos pop up after the release I got scared I couldn't get one. My guess (as well as others could be that he'll be a retail release). I'm cool with that!

He was, and always will be, a DGD.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

they figure out who will not sign in time for release and get them so they can load up on redemptions to fill all the hits in the boxes..... also they work backwards and make the crappy players sign WAAAAAYYYY more than the good ones Smile
On a serious note......

they should be printing zt and jt .... they have printed a ton of Thurman Thomas in a phins uni lately and he only played 1 season with them

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's