`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Gretzky Just THAT Good?

Was Gretzky Just THAT Good?
I was born in Nov '83, so I'll be 30 later this year. I know Gretzky was playing the majority of my life growing up, but I just didn't watch hockey when I was younger. Looking back now and seeing the numbers he put up, it just almost seems unrealistic in comparison to the numbers you see today. Was he really just THAT good, or has the game just changed that much since then?...or a combination of both? Obviously they don't call him the Great One for nothing, but I was just curious.

RE: Was Gretzky Just THAT Good?
A combination of both, PLUS tough guys like Dave Semenko.

HOWEVER.... Gretzky truly was a great and deserves every nod he has ever gotten. I firmly believe he changed the game.

Tim
Collecting:
Jordan Eberle (#/to be updated soon)
Taylor Hall (#/to be updated soon)
Fistric or Dubnyk (Don't know which yet...)

He was awesome..he had a lot of awesome HOF players around him,but he was worthy of the nickname the great one.He wasn't a physicle specimin by any means,but he had a love and vision for the game that made him a step ahead of everyone else playing at the time. You should try to watch some of the archived games on the cbc..pretty sure you might be able to find some old games there.

Goalie pads were about half the size they are now LOL. The game has changed a lot, but he would still be a high caliber player in today's league. Watch some older games, there was just something so smooth about his playing style.

I am like you, I do not remember him much as an oiler. when still helped carry the kings, blues, and rangers days

(02-10-2013, 02:44 AM)cujo31nje Wrote: Goalie pads were about half the size they are now LOL. The game has changed a lot, but he would still be a high caliber player in today's league. Watch some older games, there was just something so smooth about his playing style.
great point when he played it was a great era of hockey, it was more of a run and gun games...

there is a book that puts players in different eras and how they change it is pretty interesting
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

I was the same way, I didnt get into Hockey until 93-94 and never really followed Gretzky until he joined the Rangers towards the end of his career. Do yourself a huge favor, go to Amazon.com and pick up the DVD set of 'Ultimate Gretzky', it's like $6 bucks, You will be amazed. After watching those DVDs, you'll see why they called him 'The Great One', it's a must see

YES!!!

He had vision on the ice like no one before him or since. Not only did he set all those records, he made it look effortless while working (arguably) harder than anyone in the league.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

IMO yes! A lot of people say that it was due to the time and the team but look at his numbers! Consistent! Year after year after year.

It was a bummer that the Blues only had him for just a short stretch of games. I thought it was cool that this year at his fantasy camp, he chose to use the Blues colors for the event.

I've only pulled 1 autograph of his (he was in Rangers uniform), and I ended up selling it. I kinda wish I would have kept it now since I want to have at least one in the PC....but does anyone know of a pack issued autograph of him in Blues uniform?