`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Wife complaining about Card Collecting

RE: Wife complaining about Card Collecting
My wife thinks it's silly, but at the same time she understands it's my hobby.

I sold an entire collection for a down payment on her engagement ring. Debate settled.
[Image: banner8_zpsd1d99d0d.jpg]

Collecting Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Andrelton Simmons and Vintage Atlanta Braves

Been married 22 years. I do what I want.

My better half fully supports my collection and the fact that it takes up two bedroom. They even bought me a cool wall display case for 45 of my graded cards, and a bunch of Jeter inserts.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

If I find a husband that collects we are in big trouble.
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

My wife of 16 years tolerates my collecting at best. She is very concerned that when I pass she will be left with thousands of dollars worth of cardboard that she won't know what to do with. Every time I show her a pricey card and tell her what it's value is, she lets me know what else I could have for that amount of money. My Mantle card would pay off the truck. My Mays card would pay for a tropical vacation. My Bonds game-used would get us a new tv. My Pujols rookie would fill the oil tanks. My Clemente rookie would replace the sofa and my Koufax rookie would cover the property taxes. Not fun discussions.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(02-03-2013, 11:16 PM)zeprock Wrote: My wife of 16 years tolerates my collecting at best. She is very concerned that when I pass she will be left with thousands of dollars worth of cardboard that she won't know what to do with. Every time I show her a pricey card and tell her what it's value is, she lets me know what else I could have for that amount of money. My Mantle card would pay off the truck. My Mays card would pay for a tropical vacation. My Bonds game-used would get us a new tv. My Pujols rookie would fill the oil tanks. My Clemente rookie would replace the sofa and my Koufax rookie would cover the property taxes. Not fun discussions.
Our wives must be sisters
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I think that brings up a good reason to have documentation on our collections of just how much it's worth and how much to reasonably expect to get from selling it should something happen to us. The best option to have would be to pass it down within the family to a member that loves collecting as much as we do. If that weren't an option the easiest thing to do is have a trustworthy friend who has knowledge of collecting to be able to handle the selling of the collection should there be no one to pass it on to. If that's also not a option, itemizing at least the big cards within our collection would be the best option to have so that immediate family could know what's in the collection. I haven't thought about it to in depth but I would like to hear others ideas. I would just hate for my wife to get low balled for my collection from some shady dealer in the case that something happened to me.

Getting back on topic... my wife is understanding of my collection. The way I've explained it is that every man needs to have his hobby whether it be restoring cars, motorcycles, hunting, guns, snowboarding, golf or whatever else. All of it costs money and that's what it boils down to. As long as I'm honest and reasonable about it (money spent) she doesn't mind my collecting. She has her spending and I have mine. One helpful thing is that her dad has always collected military memorabilia from Civil War to WWII (and has a quite impressive collection) so she somewhat understands it.

(02-03-2013, 01:05 PM)corbin21 Wrote: Just wondering if there other guys like me that enjoy collecting cards, but have a wife/girl friend that doesn't see the value. My wife has mentioned several times that when I die, the cards will be in the trash. Which is going to make some rubbish collector a very wealthy man. Many of my friends have mentioned they would take the cards when I die, nice guys. Let me know if your wives are any different then mine, or maybe they are the perfect wife and are into collecting cards with you. Just wondering out loud...........
Well does she collect anything like bobby pins or Crystal ? if she does tell her when she dies that you are going to throw here collection away. LOL

Seriously with the collection I have I have everything marked and try to keep it up to date as much as possible. I always take the January's Beckett and put it with my collection and circle the baseball card man page and for her to call. I have a list for her to read to convince him to come and see it and possibly buy the collection. Lets face it I might not be here tomorrow so she needs this information. Or she can give each 3 kids the cards if they want them.

If you keep your collection in one spot you dont hear much complaining. I know I lived that 3 years ago and still trying to organize but the cards are in one spot (mostly)
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

My wife is an ex collegiate athlete (national champion swimmer for Auburn) so she is a big sports fan Braves, Falcons, etc. like me and has no problem with the hobby. I am basically out of collecting now due to to time and money constraints but she used to help me sort and organize after we would break a box together and after that she would leave me to my scanning, uploading, catagorizing, selling, trading, etc.
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)