RE: OT. What else do you collect?
I collect Mustangs, kind of lol.

[Image: IMG_7291.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7290.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7289.jpg]

[Image: 5d94c71c.jpg]

[Image: 6947898d.jpg]

[Image: 53c227d4.jpg]

Sometimes I wish I would have never started with cars, I blow too much money on em.

This is my old GT (2006), dumped about 12k into the motor, suspension, wheels, and paint only to have a girl pull out of a gas station right infront of me almost totaling it. Got rid of it shortly after.

[Image: IMG_7209.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7216.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7220.jpg]
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

I sometimes think I collect books, though not for the "collectable" aspect. I don't have a whole lot of time to read, but I love book stores and ALWAYS manage to find something I want to read, especially on those discount tables at Barnes and Noble. I currently have between 60-70 books in my bookshelf that I am working on, not all at once obviously.

However, amongst those I do have a few that I'll keep forever that have been signed by the author either in person while I was there or a family member was there and gave it to me as a gift. Otherwise, if it's not signed I donate it when I'm done so someone else can enjoy it instead of letting it sit there on my shelf.

(01-31-2013, 08:53 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: I used to have one of the largest privately owned libraries of african-american literature in the country, but i donated them when i moved to boston (didnt have the space)

i still collect and archive every book on malcolm x i can find, and i still have my post-colonial african writers stuff
That's pretty cool. I was a french literature major in college (and studied hatian literature in particular). I also took some african-american lit along the way. How'd you get into compiling a such a large book collection?
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I love leather liquor/wine bottles, have close to 50.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I collect a ton of stuff lol, my gf thinks I'm slowly becoming a hoarder but i like to think of myself as a collector lol. I obviously collect cards, autographed sports memorabilia, comics, ANYTHING Spider-Man related and......Piggy Banks. I'm not sure how it started but I have about 40 of them right now. Its weird but I love it lol. I guess I kind of collect snapbacks as well, ive got 32 of them.
[Image: desmond_trufant_zpsf20c3d16.jpg]
RC - 16/29
Auto - 39/213
Mem - 2/9
1/1s - 7
Total -89/476 / 18%

I have a near complete collection of 1982-1994 gi joes. I have every comic with juggernaut and gi joe comics. Boxes of CDs and movies and random toys. Also actor autos!!
[Image: dontpray11.png]

(02-02-2013, 03:03 AM)dontpray Wrote: I have a near complete collection of 1982-1994 gi joes. I have every comic with juggernaut and gi joe comics. Boxes of CDs and movies and random toys. Also actor autos!!
Seeing and hearing some amazing collection!
Love the GI Joes. I shudder when I think of all the joes I had and tossed or buried in the yard
no org, please do not send trade requests

(02-01-2013, 11:08 PM)uvaspina Wrote: That's pretty cool. I was a french literature major in college (and studied hatian literature in particular). I also took some african-american lit along the way. How'd you get into compiling a such a large book collection?
started with the autobiography of malcolm x. i started studying the history, and as it turns out, there were a lot of parallels between african-american history and irish history (im mostly irish). the first generational slaves in the "new world" were actually irish. about 20,000 irish were enslaved in the west indies, but we....dont do well with sun, and all of them died. so then, african slave trade.

but the 20th century is where the parallels get interesting. early part of the century, marcus garvey starts a nationalist organization (the largest AA org ever created, to this day). at the same time, the irish republican army is formed. in the fifties, both african-americans and the irish start their civil rights periods. indeed, murals of MLK and Malolm X could be found in Belfast.

Provos break away from the IRA in the late 60's, same time that the Black Panther Party for self-defense is created.

it goes way deeper than that, obviously, but i, as an irish-american, couldnt help but understand and relate somewhat the struggles that blacks had gone through in this country (and if you know a little about irish americans and african-americans, we ended up competing for the same jobs a lot of the time, and irish unions were busted by bring in blacks. there's always been tension there)

so that's the genesis....one book led to another book which led to another...i was starved for knowledge. actually had my own book on malcolm x written, but never published it. someone last year wrote a book exploring similar themes...and wrote it better Tongue

the post-colonial african stuff came later, when i was i college. had a couple really great profs in english - one introduced me to african lit, the other was a writing teacher. but i was geography major, with minors in history, psych and sociology...couldnt take anything more on

but dr price got me into all the great african writers: achebe, bessie head, fannon, kane, etc

okay, that was long-winded

(02-02-2013, 08:14 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: okay, that was long-winded
But very cool...props to you!
Mike Piazza supercollector: 4,267 different Beckett items
Also collecting John Franco, Eric Karros, Al Leiter, Brandon Nimmo, Todd Pratt, Robin Ventura, Turk Wendell, and Todd Zeile

I used to collect Disney "Cars" related toys. Also used to collect vintage military stuff. I have a beautiful Nazi SS t-shirt that my grandfather brought back from WWII to include also a Nazi flag and my grandfather's M1 Garand rifle. Other than baseball cards I currently collect Scotty Cameron golf putters especially Circle T tour use stuff and related items (e.g. ball markers). Also used to collect moneys in my savings account before my ex-wife took it all...LOL.
Looking for currently living HOF'ers Rookie Cards, Game Used, and Autographs. To include soon to be HOF'ers.