`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Is anyone sending in submissions to BGS anytime soon?

Is anyone sending in submissions to BGS anytime soon?
Just wondering if anyone is sending things to BGS for grading anytime soon that I could jump in on.

RE: Is anyone sending in submissions to BGS anytime soon?
I'm doing a 300 card raw card review this weekend at the Tri Star show, then send off what grades I like.
All in with pocket Aces.... Andre Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.

Only if you're willing to wait the 45 days
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

(01-21-2013, 09:33 PM)westhoustonvw Wrote: I'm doing a 300 card raw card review this weekend at the Tri Star show, then send off what grades I like.
I just need it slabbed for the most part. If I send it to you would you mind sending it to get slabbed with the ones you send off?

I have no problem with that.
All in with pocket Aces.... Andre Johnson and Aaron Rodgers.

(01-21-2013, 10:34 PM)westhoustonvw Wrote: I have no problem with that.
I'll shoot you a PM when I get near my computer

Can anyone explain the process a little better to me? I saw they are doing a 20 dollar 2 day special for january and im really thinking about sending a few kaepernick autos out to be graded.

[Image: simmons_iliustration_g_mp_640.jpg&w=640&h=360]

(01-21-2013, 10:51 PM)a2coupe2a Wrote: Can anyone explain the process a little better to me? I saw they are doing a 20 dollar 2 day special for january and im really thinking about sending a few kaepernick autos out to be graded.
same! i wish i understood the process more.. i also have several cards id love to get graded.. any info would be awesome for me as well!
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

I wrote this up for someone with the same questions in one of my group subs awhile back.

Grading is fun, but can be horribly frustrating if its your first time. Here's some of the stuff I suggest you do just to help yourself out a bit.

1. Buy a cheap magnifying glass or an editors loop (as they call it). It will help you see the fine chips around the edges and corners.

2. Get a nice chamois or an eyeglass cleaning rag (that is dust/lint free). If you give a little puff of breath to the card and wipe it in one direction, most of the surface issues will be taken care of. It's best if you just hold your card at an oblique angle under a bright light. Those little dimples or fingerprints can kill your grade. Practice on something other than your AP 1/1 auto. Wink If you can clean a chrome card without scratching it, you've got it down.

3. Look at both the front AND the back of the card. If the centering is off on either side, you're going to get nailed for it. Same with the surface.

4. Don't expect 10's or even 9.5's on everything. Some of my submitters last go around had an amazing run of 9.5's, but I never expect it. The more you look at graded cards up close, the easier it is to guesstimate your final grade. I always do this before I send it in so I don't feel surprised/shocked/disappointed when it comes back an 8.5 and I remembered it being a 10. LOL

5. Scan everything at high resolution both front and back. Don't crop too closely either, we need good proof just in case something does happen to your baby while at BGS.

6. You don't get your toploader/magnetic/origami/any other kind of case back from BGS, so don't bother sending in the expensive holders if you can help it. They actually suggest the semi-rigid holders and I went with those last time. Not sure it helped my overall grades, but I'll be doing it again because it's their preference. I think it makes it easy for them to remove the card rather than go digging for one wedged in a toploader. Of course, however you send is up to you. Do not tape your loaders closed, I just have to open them up before I send them in.

7. Be patient...20 day service means 20 working days. This equals one month. Ugh. 45 day service is even longer.

8. Enjoy it!! I've gotten some really crappy grades back, and while I'm really pissed about it right in the moment, I'm actually happier to have the card protected in the end.

Remember, you can set minimum grades for your cards (i.e. min. grade 9, so nothing will come back any lower), but you get charged for the grading fee regardless of whether or not it comes back in a slab. I always recommend the minimum grade plus "authenticate if minimum not met" on your PC or high end cards. Some protection is better than none, and you paid for it either way, so...

There are different prices for oversized cards/booklets/magazines, so be sure to ask on those. You can't send in TTM's or in person autos either. You can use the separate JSA/BGS service for that. There's a member who has done it, and if he comes forward you could ask him about it. If you have questions and he hasn't responded to this thread, send me a PM and I'll pass it along.

Those of you pondering the 2 day, $20 rate need to remember there is a $2 charge for an autograph and a minimum $14 return shipping fee from BGS, in addition to the insurance fee you choose ($8/ every $1K in coverage). So that $20 rate just turned in to a $44 fee to grade your card. The more you send the cheaper it is per card, but it's still a lot of coin for no guaranteed results. Hence the reason the group subs work out well for everyone involved, especially now that we're entering the off season.

BGS charges your credit card on the day they start the grading process, so be prepared for that. Individual cards aren't such a big deal, but I've had a couple of $2500-$3000 charges hit my card and I've about fallen over! They will send you an email when the cards are shipping with your results. It includes the BGS card number so you can look up the subgrades before your cards arrive if you want.

Hope that helped a bit. If you have other questions, send me a PM or leave a note here. I'll check when I get back home tonight. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

If anyone in interested in 20 day service for $6 per card ($1 for autos). PM me for the details. I'll be doing 6 submissions this year.
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"