Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
To all of the people who complain about this site

RE: To all of the people who complain about this site
(01-11-2013, 01:19 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: 1) whats AOL Tongue
2) you're old lol
I'm just playing, I'm sorry I couldn't resist lol Tongue
Yeah thanks, but I already knew that.....my knees tell me that every time I walk up stairs!!! LOL
Always trading for Barry Larkin. Also looking for Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins. 

Will consider trading for other current/past Cincinnati Reds and Bengals.

[Image: Uw7lfAR.jpg]

I haven't tried any other trading sites and after reading all of the prior posts, I don't think I want to. The organize feature is perfect for keeping track of all the cards in our collection and every trader I've dealt with here so far has been absolutely top notch. The site speed can be a drag at times but the org and the excellent and knowledgable people here more than make up for it, in my opinion.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

This site at one time was head and shoulders above all the other sites. Obviously the speed of the site hurts its popularity. I don't trade any on any of the sites so that doesn't come into play for me in my choices of sites. I get on to see all of the topics and threads that people are commenting on(such as this one). I also love to see the box breaks section and gauge what I want to purchase on how the different products look. This site has 1/4th the box breaks of most of the other sites, and that is my biggest issue. I'm not hating on the site but I am a realist. If this site was faster, attracted more people, more topics, more box breaks then it would regain its stature as the #1 sports cards site. Sounds to me like a big majority of you guys enjoy the trading on the beckett site so that definitely is a good start. I also have one key point that Beckett could dominate on over ALL of the competition............improve the set registry and integrate it with the forums.

When things are running the way they should be running (not slowly) and when there are a good number of people on here, this place is by far the best when it comes to trading. As a few have already said, the organize feature can be an amazing tool to organize and helps immensely with trading, especially when you're looking for commons or set needs.

While a big reason I stopped trading on here was my move to vintage (though looking to do a David Ortiz PC with my son), I did find that it became harder to trade on here as it seemed more and more people were only looking for game/event worn/used cards or autographs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if/when you were looking to trade for cards that did not fit either of those categories, it was more difficult as people didn't feel it was "worth it". While I'm not 100% certain if that's supposed to be based on the supposed "value" of cards, I would think that if each had some cards that the other wanted, regardless of book/sell value, it would be worth it. Back in '09 I was able to put together the complete '08 Masterpieces set with SPs in a few weeks just through trades on here. I almost wonder if that would even be possible today.

(01-11-2013, 02:02 PM)doublexthebeast Wrote: This site at one time was head and shoulders above all the other sites. Obviously the speed of the site hurts its popularity. I don't trade any on any of the sites so that doesn't come into play for me in my choices of sites. I get on to see all of the topics and threads that people are commenting on(such as this one). I also love to see the box breaks section and gauge what I want to purchase on how the different products look. This site has 1/4th the box breaks of most of the other sites, and that is my biggest issue. I'm not hating on the site but I am a realist. If this site was faster, attracted more people, more topics, more box breaks then it would regain its stature as the #1 sports cards site. Sounds to me like a big majority of you guys enjoy the trading on the beckett site so that definitely is a good start. I also have one key point that Beckett could dominate on over ALL of the competition............improve the set registry and integrate it with the forums.
I think what Beckett cuts out (for better or worse) are a bunch of people soliciting buy-ins for their box breaks. So, on Beckett, we don't see a bunch of thinly veiled ads for "sweet pulls from my latest break...spots still available for the next one!!" While I think the subscription fee deters a lot of casual users from participating, those that do usually post useful content and are pretty engaged users. Also, Beckett users seem to be an exceptionally helpful group of people. None of the trolls and nonsense you see in other corners of the interwebs.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-11-2013, 09:59 PM)uvaspina Wrote: While I think the subscription fee deters a lot of casual users from participating, those that do usually post useful content and are pretty engaged users. Also, Beckett users seem to be an exceptionally helpful group of people. None of the trolls and nonsense you see in other corners of the interwebs.
Could not agree more with this. I really enjoy reading the posts on here and everyone is pretty insightful when you have a question. I sometimes wonder if there are any adults around on the the other sites.

Some may be surprised to find out that even as a mod here, I have and still occasionally do trade on other sites. I've probably got 300+ trades combined on some of the other popular trading sites.

And I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly with the OP.

Yes - I agree it is (was) a pain in the butt to take the time to load my organize
Yes - I wish that this site had the traffic it had a few years ago
Yes - I agree that charging for the org probably sent a fair percentage of traders away for good

All that notwithstanding, trading is so many hundreds - nay thousands - of times easier here than other sites, for anyone to say otherwise is simply being dishonest. And mostly for reasons that have already been outlined, so I don't feel the need to rehash all of those - but a few more I'll add:

1. I think the collectors here have more diverse collecting interests. It seems that quite often on some of the other sites, people will have a card I want, so I express interest only to be met with comments like "well you don't have any Bowman Chrome Xfractors of John Mabry - that's all I'm looking for right now." or "if you want my Mark Prior card #/25 I'm going to need nothing less than 2 Pujols rookies". The whole trade system aside, it's easier to make trades here because the people on this site tend to try to go out of their way to find a way to make a trade work, even if it means taking trade bait in return.

2. *shameless pat on the back* The other reason I love this site is that we mods (with the blessing of beckett per the TOS) don't put up with the petty crap that plagues the other sites. I've seen countless threads on other sites turn into whiny name calling, kindergarten playground type flame wars. That's not to say it doesn't happen here from time to time, but we at least TRY to put a stop to it and calm everyone down. With two daughters and a full time job dealing with taxes, I have enough drama in my life! I don't need to come on line for 'hobby time' and find two users fighting over cards. Some other sites are filled with people who live for that type of drama.

And now in fairness, there is one thing that I do think other sites tend to do a better job of, and that is for people trading for those last couple base cards to fill out a set. Because of the tedious nature of entering cards into organize, a lot of people tend not to enter those 30c base cards and mark them FT. I've had more luck finishing out sets when I need only those last 5-10 common cards on other sites than here.

Anyway - those are my thoughts...there is no doubt in my mind that this is the premier trading site. I really hope that they can get EVERYTHING fully functioning as promised, because if they do, there will be no denying that fact.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

(01-11-2013, 10:33 PM)ceocards Wrote: And now in fairness, there is one thing that I do think other sites tend to do a better job of, and that is for people trading for those last couple base cards to fill out a set. Because of the tedious nature of entering cards into organize, a lot of people tend not to enter those 30c base cards and mark them FT. I've had more luck finishing out sets when I need only those last 5-10 common cards on other sites than here.
That's funny, because when I used trade here, I had the exact opposite experience. Maybe for the current year or something, that may be the case. If I'm on another site, and someone asks what I'm looking for, and I give them a list of common 90s Tigers, they look at me like I'm crazy and don't want to bother. I think the people on here who bothered listing them, were all too happy to unload some of the random "junk" I was looking for. You can't really post a thousand card want list of commons from 10+ year old sets on most other sites.

(01-11-2013, 01:52 AM)roger rabbit Wrote: ...
Speak positively of the folks who are here and more good folks will join us.
Best post by anyone in months...Well said.
Mattingly Collection.2503 different

I'm looking for Mattingly,Pujols,All Current
& Great Yankees,& HOFers in all Sports.
[Image: e1a26f5e-c283-43da-a60f-eb714950ec46_zpsa04dbf07.jpg]

I haven't traded much here, but have made a few and I really like the organize feature. Blowout may have more activity on their forums but there aren't the jackass board trolls here like there are on blowout. I can't imagine trading anywhere else honestly.