`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Morris

Jack Morris
I'm sorry, but the more I think about it and look at the numbers, Jack Morris doesn't belong in the hall of fame..he was a durable, decent to good pitcher like Dennis Martinez. Guys like John Tudor, Dave Steib, Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden, Rick Reuschel, Ron Guidry, Orel Hershiser, Frank Viola, David Cone, Bret Saberhagen, Mark Langston, Sid Fernandez, Tommy John, Bob Welch, and Steve Rogers all had overlapping carreers with Morris. All are similar, if not better pitchers, and none are near the HOF. Sorry Jack, but I hope you are never enshrined in Cooperstown.
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

[Image: cutchbanner.jpg]

RE: Jack Morris
Yeah, good pitcher but not an HOFer.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

he was the dominant starting pitcher of his era. period. multiple world series rings, as the ace of the staff.

im a huge believer in numbers and stats. but im also believer in my eyes

im not going to say he absolutely is a HOF'er. im just saying his career cant be defined by primary stats. deeper stats, however, are kind to him, especially in regards to how he saved his bullpen.

and frankly: if you werent at least 10 years old by 1983, i honestly dont care what your view of jack morris is. if you werent old enough to watch his career and understand baseball by that point...if you didnt watch him...i dont think you can accurately asses how dominant he was (much like jim rice in the 70's, when he was the most feared hitter in the game)

He was clearly not the most dominant starting pitcher of his era, in fact he wasn't even dominant for any one season. Yes he was a great post season pitcher, and yes he was beyond durable, and perhaps a top 10 SP for several seasons, but several if not most of the aforementioned pitchers were better.

What if I was 9 in 1983?
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

(01-10-2013, 09:23 PM)jimfalbo21 Wrote: He was clearly not the most dominant starting pitcher of his era, in fact he wasn't even dominant for any one season. Yes he was a great post season pitcher, and yes he was beyond durable, and perhaps a top 10 SP for several seasons, but several if not most of the aforementioned pitchers were better.

What if I was 9 in 1983?
name a pitcher more dominant in the 80's

50+% of his starts were 8+ innings....when your winning 8-1 & give up 3 runs in the 8th and win 8-4, who cares?

I kindly have to disagree with you. Definite HOF'er...especially pitching in the AL with the DH....at least +.50 ERA.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(01-10-2013, 09:36 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: name a pitcher more dominant in the 80's
I listed 16 pitchers who are comparable, I didn't even include Clemens or Nolan Ryan.
(01-10-2013, 09:38 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: 50+% of his starts were 8+ innings....when your winning 8-1 & give up 3 runs in the 8th and win 8-4, who cares?

I kindly have to disagree with you. Definite HOF'er...especially pitching in the AL with the DH....at least +.50 ERA.
Pitching "to the score" is an argument that has been statistically refuted countless times over the years. His career ERA+ is only 106 (lg average is 100, 120 is considered an all star caliber performance) . That factors in for ballpark (Petco/Coors) and lg (AL/NL) discrepancies.

Jack Morris:

254-186
3.90 ERA 106ERA+ (lg average is 100, 120 is considered an all star caliber performance)
1.296 WHIP
3824 INN
3x WS Champ
5x All-Star

Rick Reuschel

214-191
3.37 ERA 114 ERA+ (lg average is 100, 120 is considered an all star caliber performance)
1.275 WHIP
3548.1 INN
3x All-Star
2x GG

I'm with you on this one jimfalbo21, he's definately in the hall of very good but not quite a Hall of Famer. I like your comparison to Reuschel, you can also compare his career numbers to Mickey Lolich who is also very similar and didn't get much HOF support.
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

go past base stats

Not a HOF'er.