`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1998-99 sp authentic any of the early spx?

1998-99 sp authentic any of the early spx?
Are these fun to rip? Any good MJs in there? Seems like a nice rookie crop.

RE: 1998-99 sp authentic any of the early spx?
MJ's Gold Auto and a nice subset

1997 SPx looks absolutely amazing, maybe the best base set ever produced: high-quality card, hologram, die-cut, etc. No true RCs in the first two years of spx though; they were produced mid-season.

as with all 98-99 UD products, there are tons of Jordans to hit, some numbered, and of course a handful of autos if you're insanely fortunate! (there are a limited number of MJ autos in the first two years of SPx as well).
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(01-07-2013, 11:44 AM)buckunteer Wrote: 1997 SPx looks absolutely amazing, maybe the best base set ever produced: high-quality card, hologram, die-cut, etc. No true RCs in the first two years of spx though; they were produced mid-season.

as with all 98-99 UD products, there are tons of Jordans to hit, some numbered, and of course a handful of autos if you're insanely fortunate! (there are a limited number of MJ autos in the first two years of SPx as well).
Buck, thanks as always. I should just PM you from now on when I am thinking of ripping a box. You are always the one that responds with all the intel. I have my eye on a few graded singles but if I strike out I may have to rip something.SPx Sound great, any year you feel is better? What are your thoughts on them vs SP Authentic? Some great RCs in that box it seems. Also, whats a good price to pay?

Did an old school 89 Hoops/ 92-93 Stadium Club rip this weekend and got nada. An off centered Robinson RC that is not a candidate for grading and a Chris Mullin Beam Team...Lame.

I love the 97-98 SPx set, the Grand Finale's are awesome cards. 98-99 Sp Authentic is a pretty fun bust but i prefer 97-98 when you can find it.

(01-07-2013, 12:20 PM)doublexthebeast Wrote: I love the 97-98 SPx set, the Grand Finale's are awesome cards. 98-99 Sp Authentic is a pretty fun bust but i prefer 97-98 when you can find it.
agreed on that. 97-98 SP authentic is a TOUGH find. I've been hunting for a year now and can't find a box to bust! 97-98 SPx is tougher than the first two years as well. I've found a couple boxes but can't afford them Sad
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

Can't seem to find the 1997-98 SP Authentic or the 1997-98 SPx.

I have found 1998-99 SP Authentic (Dirk RC?) that seems nice.Also 1995-96 SPx and 1996-97 SPx. Never opened any of this stuff. Weekend cheapo rip did not satisfy...HAHA

(01-07-2013, 12:47 PM)user_3n5kp Wrote: Can't seem to find the 1997-98 SP Authentic or the 1997-98 SPx.

I have found 1998-99 SP Authentic (Dirk RC?) that seems nice.Also 1995-96 SPx and 1996-97 SPx. Never opened any of this stuff. Weekend cheapo rip did not satisfy...HAHA
I managed to break a couple of the 1996 SPx boxes really cheap before the 90's wax exploded. One box was only $40! Ended up with the whole base set except the darn Vin Baker I had to pick up on COMC.

the 98-99 will have dirk and paul pierce rcs, I was just never as big a fan of the design, personally. If you rip it, I wish you the MJ Sign of the Times auto! Smile

Thanks for the advice. I like the looks of the products. I remember the 1996 SPx from when they came out. Wasn't one of the first MJ autos in there?

Had a good end of the year so maybe scoop an SPx and the 98-99 Authentic.

Also was looking into the ZForce with the BMOC MJ because I love that card but thinking I'll just grab that one graded...looks like a seriously tough pull.

Good luck with whatever you bust. If you happen to bust the 97-98 spx and pull the Glenn Robinson Grand Finale please let me know.
[Image: Clintsbanner_zpsfba4b9ea.jpg]/IMG]