`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MJ Collectors: What's your focus and why?

MJ Collectors: What's your focus and why?
In light of some of these amazing collections we see popping up and the fact that more posts seem to be about MJ Collections than anything else, I was curious, how do you all focus your efforts when putting your MJ collections together?

There are so many 1000's of cards of the man out there. Do you focus on the inserts? Specific manufacturers? Autos? It seems like an impossible task to go after everything.

I personally prefer the early MJ stuff, 80s Fleer Star and the earlier inserts. It reminds me of the high flying MJ that revolutionized everything. I don't go after anything post bulls playing days and even then stick to 96-97 and earlier for my cards since I was more active collecting those back in the day.

Curious to how other MJ Collectors collect and why. Hopefully this starts a nice dialogue between collectors with a shared interest...

RE: MJ Collectors: What's your focus and why?
right now, my focus is pretty much to trade for whatever i dont have. i like to bust wax, so i can not financially pick up singles of jordans i need although it would be much smarter for me 2 put 200 a month into singles, or save up a couple of months to get a really nice single. ofcourse i would love to only go after the super high end inserts or exquisite patch autos, but thats out of my price range and i wouldnt enjoy the hobby as much if i was putting that much into singles. i love opening boxes, and its nice to pull out stuff that others need and to be able to trade them for jordans i need.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

Everyone collects MJ because he's the G.O.A.T and i collect BGS 9.5 90's inserts because they look the best and will always be the most sort after cards.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

Good to see some replies. Great looking 90s inserts in that sig. I missed that whole late 90s run but I am really starting to come around to them. My first passion will always be those Star and early fleers but some of one inserts really do look great.

Would love to here some more takes. A scan of your fav...

I first focused on all 90's Inserts, then 90's Inserts in BGS 9.5 slabs and now condensed everything to just focusing on the really rare and coveted 90's Serial #'d inserts (including Jambalaya and Ultra Stars GOLD). My experience with buying and selling has made me believe that in the end, it's those mainstream rare 90's Serial #'d inserts that will ultimately hold value and keep rising in value/demand with more time.

Don't get me wrong. 90's MJ cards will ALWAYS be in demand and carry great value. You really can't beat cards that were produced during the playing days of the GOAT which also is the first era to introduce Inserts, Game Jerseys, Autos and Serial #'d inserts. No matter what year it is and how long time passes... collectors will crave and want those cards. However, there's a good number of supply with normal inserts as you can clearly see and have seen on the market. Abundant supply will decrease value. With LIMITED Serial #"d inserts, you won't run into that problem as the supply is already set and availability of them will continue to decrease with more time.

Low Pop BGS 9.5's will also one day become abundant as Population will keep growing with more submissions. I remember paying a premium on some of the Pop 1-3 BGS 9.5 MJ Refractors and Inserts. A year or two passed and the Population grew to 5-6 then 10-11 and lost that high Premium I paid for which sucked. At least with raw cards, I am paying for the actual card's value and not a grade. Just my opinion.

Similar to ping, I LOVE busting the wax and have trouble buying singles. As a result, my high-end MJs are few and far between. I only have two that book $100+ and I actually pulled both of them.

I also focus on pre-Wizards era MJs, aside from any autos or GU pieces I might miraculously pull.

Given that most of my MJs book between $3 and $30, I've also noticed that a lot of his less-sought-after 90s stuff is actually dropping in value recently. I've had several inserts drop from $20-$15 or $12-$10. In one instance, an insert dropped from $25-$15 in just 4 months. I also traded for an MJ that booked $100 and it dropped to $80 just a few weeks after I picked it up.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

I go for bulk quantities of different. I would rather have 1000 different $1 Jordan cards than 1 at $1000. I've concentrated on trying to compete the Int'l UD/UDCC/Fleer/Panini variations and always love the oddball and unknown foriegn issues.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

I hate busting wax. Waste of $$ for me, at least the ones I opened in the past. Told myself never again; that could have been a sweet single or two depending on prices of course.

To be honest, my favorite athlete was MJ even though baseball was my thing. I didn't really start collecting MJ until we received last years' income tax return. I bought the 86 Fleer in a BGS 8.5 for around 8 or so. ALWAYS WANTED ONE, but never really could afford it until then. I was SO EXCITED!!

That was the trigger needed I guess that eventually got me started on collecting him and him only. I don't focus on other stars and different types of patches, auto's, etc from different players because of their value or hype, or whatever.

So...

I started to scan/search his stuff daily. reading and learning from other sites, forums, members, etc to learn more about his INSERTS. Remember, I NEVER COLLECTED basketball cards up until that point, it was baseball and MANTLE (eventually selling every Mantle item I owned). I did that because my collecting focus had changed to MJ. Like an ex, she's gone, why keep some of her crap lying around the house? So I moved on. Mantle will always be my favorite baseball player. I didn't do Mantle stuff until several years ago.

I grew up watching the GOAT since 87-88 ish...I think. Was a die hard BULLS fan (primarily because of him). Once he was gone for good and the team was decimated by KRAUS, I moved on...until LAST YEARS PURCHASESmile

blah blah blah,

My primary focus isn't any particular set, auto, patch or anything like that (at least not yet). I don't go after what the majority goes for, I usually try to look for more of his COLORFUL INSERTS "pre Wizard". I can't afford a lot of his BGS 9.5 stuff. I'm okay with 9's for some, depends on the rarity or whatever. Like the 1996-1997 Z-Force BMOC. Mine is a BGS 9. I happy with it. It's a beautiful design and LOVE the colors on it...looks really neat to me. That's my favorite card along with the SOUL of the Game insert.

So right now for me it's cards like that. Eventually, way down the road, his other cards will be my pursuit ...

Great topic discussion. I've wondered the OP myself quite often, especially when I get out bided on the bay...lol

(12-17-2012, 10:14 PM)rare23air83 Wrote: I first focused on all 90's Inserts, then 90's Inserts in BGS 9.5 slabs and now condensed everything to just focusing on the really rare and coveted 90's Serial #'d inserts (including Jambalaya and Ultra Stars GOLD). My experience with buying and selling has made me believe that in the end, it's those mainstream rare 90's Serial #'d inserts that will ultimately hold value and keep rising in value/demand with more time.

Don't get me wrong. 90's MJ cards will ALWAYS be in demand and carry great value. You really can't beat cards that were produced during the playing days of the GOAT which also is the first era to introduce Inserts, Game Jerseys, Autos and Serial #'d inserts. No matter what year it is and how long time passes... collectors will crave and want those cards. However, there's a good number of supply with normal inserts as you can clearly see and have seen on the market. Abundant supply will decrease value. With LIMITED Serial #"d inserts, you won't run into that problem as the supply is already set and availability of them will continue to decrease with more time.

Low Pop BGS 9.5's will also one day become abundant as Population will keep growing with more submissions. I remember paying a premium on some of the Pop 1-3 BGS 9.5 MJ Refractors and Inserts. A year or two passed and the Population grew to 5-6 then 10-11 and lost that high Premium I paid for which sucked. At least with raw cards, I am paying for the actual card's value and not a grade. Just my opinion.
Hey Jun, You always make sense and 99% of the time your right on the money with your view on the entire MJ market!
I respect your opinion and always enjoy reading what you have to say,not only that, i'm on your site more then ever now, but i do miss seeing all the other inserts that you had up(cheaper ones) and oh PLEASE move the PMG sales to the bottom of the page!!!
Now, back on topic....
Maybe you overlook one simple thing.....
That is....
95% of the market can't afford to drop $5k+ per card on these limited numbered inserts you mention....
So i think that the mid-end $100-$850 90's inserts will always be the cards that change hands the most, with the rare low numbered cards, only changing hands when a very select few come along and buy them....
I agree about the pop of most of them exploding over past year or two, but i think most people would still feel better droping $500 on a $500 BV card when its graded BGS 9.5....
I never pay full BV on cards unless the card is described as MINT+ to GEM-MINT....
I have no issue paying a little extra for BGS 9.5's even if the pop is over 20!
I feel its worth it, simply because i want my cards in mint+ or better..
I can't stand paying good money on cards discribed as "MINT" only to be disappointed in their condition!
However,
If BGS continue to drop their grading standards, then i may rethink my hobby future!
Also,
I have noticed that new collector's from the Jordan era, that get back into the hobby, start with early 90's inserts that they had as a kid, then they move onto the same cards but in BGS 9.5 form, but after that, they all seem to move toward the mid-late 90's inserts and those guy's are the people that will continue to keep the drive for 90's BGS 9.5's alive...
MJ auto's are everywhere but they will always be sort after just like his rookie cards...
Now these are some rare UN-numbered inserts that get overlooked, with insane odds, I have the set of 10(ungraded) and just got these 1/1 pop BGS 10 Pristine.....( got them for a steal! )
Enjoy, Gary
[Image: IMG_0974.jpg]
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

I couldn't agree more with the thoughts on busting wax. I get the itch and am all too quick to scratch it and always wonder why I didn't just pick up a great single. I guess its the feeling of being a kid again with all those packs littering the floor.

The 90s MJ serial numbered inserts like the PMGs, Rare refractors etc are all stunning cards. There is no doubt that the scarcity will keep these cards valuable over the long haul. A salient point that I think is one of the best in this thread so far, is that while there is a finite quantity of these to meet high demand, there are really only a handful of people that can and will spend that type of money on a card.

I am by no means poor but $5k on a card is a grip of cash. I would likely see that money go toward a Mantle 52 Topps but thats just me. I would certainly no disagree though, that these MJ cards are trending toward being as iconic to this generation of collectors as cards like that are to older guys.

I think anything MJ is as safe a bet as you can find in this hobby. Exhibit A: McJordan Rib Sauce for $10k!

The high demand will fuel the mid level insert and early issue market for those that can't afford the mega high dollar inserts and the big boys will keep bidding and snatching those up.

Love hearing everyones MJ focus and looks like so many different goals.