`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1986-87 Fleer Basketball Set

RE: 1986-87 Fleer Basketball Set
I'm surprised it is only $25K... I thought he MJ itself would go for that.. I may be wrong, but didn't a few 9.5's go for supper high, or was it only the BGS 10?

anyways, it's an awesome set!!
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I'd stick with high end BGS 9's since you obviously have funds. With a little patience and persistence you can find 9's like this one....
[Image: mjrcbgs9.jpg]

I waited over 2 years to find the right BGS 9 at the right price and I couldn't be happier Smile

10, 9.5, 9, 9

WOW...a 10 on centering is damn near impossible to find that's awesome!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(12-09-2011, 02:43 PM)got watcha want Wrote: There are some cards that have very limited copies that would grade to your 9.5 set standards. The last guy that did that took him like 4-5 years to complete the Gem Mint set and they posted an article on this site when he put it on the market a few months ago.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2011/06/hobb...o-auction/

I am not sure how much it actually sold for, but you can see some of the prices he paid for the no name dudes' cards from the set that got a 9.5 with BGS. It will be tough, but I hope this article helps with your decision.

Here this is the quote that caught me offguard....

"The toughest card was probably card No. 76 Johnny Moore. Almost all of them have two really nasty print defects on them. For the longest time, this was the toughest card in the set and for a while I was seeing Gem Mint examples selling for more than the Michael Jordan Rookie."
The auction was relisted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290644643963?ru=...0294wt_932

(12-10-2011, 02:13 PM)backinthemixer Wrote: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0644643963

hmm interesting read...
Exactly what I was going to post.. im sure it will be cheaper if you just made a legit offer on the completed set.

Not as fun than building the set card by card, but neither is dropping $20k on cards... lol

Wow.. I did see that listing.. I would honestly consider it if I had 24k to spare, which I don't at the moment... but yeah I agree that collecting the cards yourself would be more fun. I wouldn't consider a 9 for this project, but I would consider a 10... just not on the MJ because that would cost an arm and a leg.. I have been bidding on some of the no-name type cards that have already graded 9.5 and I'll keep ya'll posted.

(12-09-2011, 12:35 PM)ctyler86 Wrote: I have decided to go through the process of collecting this whole set, eventually wanting to get one of each card with 9.5 or better grading.. I realize this is quite the task, but I'm down for it.

I have a couple of questions since I am relatively new to the collecting process...

1) Would it be better for me to buy a complete set vs. each card individually? I do see some benefits to doing this, as I could quickly eliminate a number of cards from the set..

2) Would you grade this set with BGS or PSA?

Thanks for any input!

[quote='ctyler86' pid='1802362' dateline='1323452110'hi friend
Hi friend just read your post,i also collect that set and my set is compose of grade 9 and 1o only,right now im only missing 42 cards to go,including the Jordan.I have these extra grade 10 cards by bccg,this is the list of cards that i have:#6 thurl bailey,#23 walter davis,#25 larry drew,#29 james edwards,#36 george gervin,#39 ricky green,#41 david greenwood,#48 phil hubbard,#74 mike mitchell,#90 robert reid,#96 jeff ruland,#104 larry smith,these are all graded 10,im willing to sell them and will give you a good price,let me know if your interested?Thanks so much.

"The toughest card was probably card No. 76 Johnny Moore. Almost all of them have two really nasty print defects on them. For the longest time, this was the toughest card in the set and for a while I was seeing Gem Mint examples selling for more than the Michael Jordan Rookie."

This is a dated quote. Maybe when BGS was relatively newer and populations were very low for some of the commons this could be true. There is no card in the set now that would go for as much as a 9.5 Jordan. It is true that there are some high priced commons out there: the checklist, Johnny Moore, Steve Johnson, Alvan Adams to name a few. You should be paying between $30-45 for an average common. The rarer commons may go for anywhere from $100-$700 depending on the rarity. As a rule cards that are multiples of 11 (e.g. 11, 22, 33, 44...) and multiples of 11 minus 1 (e.g. 10, 21, 32, 43...) will command a premium because they are the most condition sensitive cards in the set.

PSA or BGS is just your choice. PSA 10 is going to cost you more than BGS 9.5. Over the years it seems as though PSA 10's in this set have generally held their value and maybe slightly increased over the years. Meanwhile BGS 9.5's have steadily lowered in value over the same time period. Not sure why this has occurred, but I believe this is a fact.

As another post already mentioned, you are far better off just buying the graded copies. Trying to buy cards and submit will cost you a lot more in the long run as if you send in 5 cards thinking they're 9.5's you'll probably get back 1 9.5 and 4 9.0's. Save your money and let someone else submit for the 9.5 and pay them for it.