`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Card Values

Card Values
I am new to collecting football cards. First time in many years. I have tried various football brands, Elite, Press Pass, Prime, Chrome etc.

What dictates card values? Lets say I am looking at a press pass of Luck numbered to 5, beckett has a value of N/A. But that card will go from 100-200$ on ebay.

Now a Chrome card of Luck numbered to 5 will go for something like 2000$ of Ebay.

Why such a big difference...From my research it seems that Topps Chrome are the most popular and the most valuable cards out thus far. No other brand seems to dictate such a selling price.

So basically, my question is, if I am collecting Andrew Luck cards (rc) would it be smart to go after the Chrome cards versus going after Press Pass or Momentum or Gridiron....Thats if I can afford it.

Any information would be appreciated...thanks

RE: Card Values
It's still early in the 2012 card season. Chrome is one of the better ones to collect but Limited, Contenders, National Treasures and Exquisite will be his highest dollar rc's.
[Image: steelers.jpg]

Values are 100% determined by demand. The Topps Chrome are valuable because they are VERY popular. On the other side, Press Pass, Sage, Leaf Draft will suffer because lots of people prefer the products with an NFL license. Chrome and Contenders are usually the most popular every year. Elite usually does well also.

thanks, appreciate the quick replies...ya have some Elite ones, but trying to add as many rookie cards as possible without breaking the bank. But will sure take a look at those other name brands as they come out. !!! thanks

No no no! Don't ever "collect" this way! You will way overspend. The Chromes will drop fast once Five Star, Exquisite (collegiate brand), and National Treasures are released. The newest releases are always the hot commodity. When Presspass first came out, people were paying big money for those cards. But, supply is insane.

Seriously - how many active listings pop up in eBay when you type in "Andrew Luck 2012 Auto"? Have your pick. Chrome will drop, like it does every year.

Everyone buys the "newest" product on the market. It's a great time to pull and sell these cards - they'll be worth 25% less in 4 months. Look what the Cam Newton autos are selling for now.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

(12-09-2012, 10:00 PM)ugameck Wrote: No no no! Don't ever "collect" this way! You will way overspend. The Chromes will drop fast once Five Star, Exquisite (collegiate brand), and National Treasures are released. The newest releases are always the hot commodity. When Presspass first came out, people were paying big money for those cards. But, supply is insane.

Seriously - how many active listings pop up in eBay when you type in "Andrew Luck 2012 Auto"? Have your pick. Chrome will drop, like it does every year.

Everyone buys the "newest" product on the market. It's a great time to pull and sell these cards - they'll be worth 25% less in 4 months. Look what the Cam Newton autos are selling for now.
thanks for the honest answer. it seems that every week a new product comes out... I have been patient thus far and picked up some cards that I thought were steals, (paid under book value). But I will keep my eyes open for Five Star, Exquisite (collegiate brand), and National Treasures, as well heard that Upper Deck is pretty good...

My own observation year after year after year based on my own experience in this hobby (1992-1999, 2005-present): (note that the years are approximate)

Modern Rookie/Insert Card Pattern #1
1. Hot new rookie card type comes out
2. Price rises due to everyone hoarding them, creating a "perceived scarcity"
3. Card is slabbed and has inflated price (the card is in the SAME condition as getting one out of a pack you just bought)
4. Five years later, price fluctuates due to the type of season the player had
5. Seven or so years later, prices have risen/peaked due to player's star quality in playoff/championship game(s)
6. Ten or so years later, prices drop a bit and steady as a new batch of hot new rookies enter the scene; card is obtainable well below peak price from a few years ago

Modern Rookie/Insert Card Pattern #2
1. Hot new rookie card type comes out
2. Price rises due to everyone hoarding them, creating a "perceived scarcity"
3. Card is slabbed and has inflated price (the card is in the SAME condition as getting one out of a pack you just bought)
4. Five or so years later, price fluctuates due to the type of season the player had
5. Seven or so years later, prices have dropped dramatically due not living up to the hype
6. Ten or so years later, prices drop off the radar as a new batch of hot new rookies enter the scene. This once star card has now become a common.

There are very few exceptions. The only acceptable exception is the backup QB. Matt Schaub, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodger, Tom Brady just to name a few who rode the pine before their time to shine came. Colin Kaepernick is a very recent example.

The starting QBs (like Luck and RG3) are too visible and too high profile to go unnoticed by anyone.

You don't need to break bank to have an enjoyable collection.
Me? Other than Bengals cards, I am looking for every card of Marshawn Lynch that pictured him during his "earthquake run" against the Saints in that 2011 playoff game. One of them is a Sports Illustrated card. These cards cost less than $5, yet still depict the historical event. If I wanted a signed card, I would find a nice base and send it to the team TTM to have it signed by him. Again, if you are starting out, do not break bank before you really know what you are doing. Because of the demand and popularity of signed sports cards, there will be more made. I STRONGLY suggest you stick to on-card/hard-signed autographs and bypass the sticker autograph at all times.