`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For all the grading Pro's - Could this centering get a 9.5?

For all the grading Pro's - Could this centering get a 9.5?
Pulled this guy the other day when I bought a few packs.

Thought since the edges, corners, and surface seem right on. How 'bout the centering? Is it too off?

Ryan Tannehill

Ryan Tannehill

Thanks for any input guys Smile
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

RE: For all the grading Pro's - Could this centering get a 9.5?
I'm no expert but the centering is definitely off. You would have to measure it out...and I don't have the tool. Hopefully someone can help you out.

[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

(12-08-2012, 11:28 AM)englandhousehold Wrote: I'm no expert but the centering is definitely off. You would have to measure it out...and I don't have the tool. Hopefully someone can help you out.
Yeah.... It's off, but is it too off, ya know? I suppose I'd have to pull 10's on the other things, which is a huge gamble.

Another thought just now... Are Chrome 9's a decent grade?

If you look closely at the edges, they have that common "foil peel up", you could say. I'll do a grade report for you.
Centering: 8.5
Edges: 9
Surface: 9.5
Corners: 9.5
Overall: 9
9 isn't that bad of a grade and I would get that graded if I were u.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

(12-08-2012, 11:36 AM)chasescardcave Wrote: If you look closely at the edges, they have that common "foil peel up", you could say. I'll do a grade report for you.

Thanks dude. 8.5 on that centering huh.. Yeah, that bottom right edge makes me iffy as well.

So I wouldn't de-value the card with a 9?

(12-08-2012, 11:39 AM)monsterx Wrote: Thanks dude. 8.5 on that centering huh.. Yeah, that bottom right edge makes me iffy as well.

So I wouldn't de-value the card with a 9?
Folks: A 9 is a mint condition card. Plus, there is value in having the card encased in any event. The hobby seems to me to be getting just a tad carried away as to its grading criteria. A 9.5 is awesome, but should not be expected.

I agree that a 9 would be great grade. I would get it graded.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

Yeah 9 is fine....I'm even happy with 8.5......I'm grading for long term not short myself....
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

I think you have a 9-9.5 there all day. 9 on the centering. It's really not that bad.
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

(12-08-2012, 11:36 AM)chasescardcave Wrote: If you look closely at the edges, they have that common "foil peel up", you could say. I'll do a grade report for you.
I would say

Centering: 9 (really isn't off that much compared to topps normal trimming practices, when cutting the sheets.)

Edges: 8.5 (the coating starting to peel on the edges are what will hurt this grade)

Corners 8.5 (bottom right on the back, and the top right on the front, look a little too frayed in the scan )

And surface: Depending on if the mark on the ball and his uniform are marks on the scanner, or on the card, I would have to say 9 on surface, if the marks are on the card, 9.5 on surface if the marks are on the scanner

To the OMP, if your going to get into starting to grade cards, I suggest buying a loupe ( especially get one if your into buying vintage ), I bought 2 really good ones this week on the bay for less than $10 for both w/ free shipping, one is a 30 power, and the other is an adjustable 6o to 100 and both are lighted which makes things easier too see, and both are compact enough to stick in your pocket and take with you the LCS

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35