Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Taking some time off from the Hobby

Taking some time off from the Hobby
Hello everyone,

Recently I started the task of reorganizing my org due to some cards that were somehow listed in my org, but I simply could not find them and honestly do not remember ever having them. After the start of this task I started to question myself and why I putting all the effort in. It hit me here recently when standing in the local Walmart card aisle checking out the deals. I honestly could not bring myself to spend 1 penny on the hobby I love/loved. I guess my frustration has come from a couple of things. 1- the ridiculous amount of money that we have to shell out for the boxes that are giving less & less and costing more & more. 2- Beckett... I can hardly stand to even be on a site that I pay for that hardly ever works like I feel it should. Waiting for this slow site has gotten me so frustrated lately. Anyway, I am taking a break from the Hobby for a while to see if I get the fire back or if it will be gone forever. Who knows, maybe once the season gets going again I will be back.
Thanks for letting me ramble and release a little frustration.

John.
If you have less than 25 trades. I ask that you ship first!
Collecting RC's / Prospects / USA / Aflac & Mike Stanton......
[Image: Scan1-1.jpg]

RE: Taking some time off from the Hobby
Hey man I know how you feel, it happens to me all the time. One day I will be all into it buying cards off eBay and trading, the next I will be questioning myself why I got into collecting. Just make the choice that you know is truly right for you.

I did the same exact thing last year around this time. I took almost 6 months off. Did not look at my cards, make trades, log onto beckett, I didn't even keep up with off season news, absolutely nothing. It helped me so much. After awhile I sat down and said what do I wanna do? I made a list of 3 main goals and I have stuck to them since in the past year. BGS graded Jeter Rookies, PSA Graded Rookies up to 1991, and to satisfy my box busting needs, completing Topps Heritage Sets. I have sold a lot of my collection off to maintain these goals and have greatly reduced the clutter. I am way more happier, my collecting is more focused, and my collection is not all over the place. Good luck and hopefully you will come back strong have have that inner child scream out to collect again like I did Smile
[Image: Untitled_zpsec8eef53.jpg]

I be collecting BGS Jeter RC's & Tom Seaver (Mets Uniform) Autos/Patches

My PC Bucket.

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad281/mjkata78/

@jn: hate to see you go but I understand your frustration, I was there once myself. I have recently become rejuvenated and added some cards to my org. I am getting back into trading again and forgot how much I enjoy it. I have about 25 incomplete sets that I can't seem to focus on and need to buckle down and get em done. I told myself I will be here for the long haul until those are done.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

(12-08-2012, 11:44 AM)cweiland Wrote: @jn: hate to see you go but I understand your frustration, I was there once myself. I have recently become rejuvenated and added some cards to my org. I am getting back into trading again and forgot how much I enjoy it. I have about 25 incomplete sets that I can't seem to focus on and need to buckle down and get em done. I told myself I will be here for the long haul until those are done.
What sets are you working on? If they are 2011or 2012 let me know. I have tons of base just sitting around and would love to help out.
Kevin

(12-07-2012, 09:38 PM)Aaron98 Wrote: Hey man I know how you feel, it happens to me all the time. One day I will be all into it buying cards off eBay and trading, the next I will be questioning myself why I got into collecting. Just make the choice that you know is truly right for you.
Happens to me too. I always stay collecting, but I can never figure out why, I just do.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

A good break from the hobby once in awhile is a good thing as it's easy to get burned out by it. There have been plenty of cards that I've felt like I really wanted, get them, and after awhile just don't care about them at all. I look at them, think that it's a pretty cool looking card, but then realize it's just a piece of cardboard with some guy's photo on it. I then think of all the other things that the money could go towards that I actually get enjoyment out of. Hell, I've essentially adopted grilling/BBQ as my number one hobby. I can try something new 1-2 times a week and enjoy the fruits of my labor. With a card, it just sits there.

I've gotten rid of a lot of my collection over the past couple years but really feel like I'm trending towards getting out altogether and just holding onto a few things from when I collected as a kid. True, most of it is considered "junk" to many collectors these days but to me, they are complete sets of the players I grew up watching and keeping track of in the box scores of the sports section every day. Many good memories and enjoyment with those cards as opposed to a lot of the other stuff.

Many times I feel like the internet, while a good thing at times, has somewhat ruined the hobby for me. It just seems all I see/hear about are people complaining about this or that, people getting ripped off, or the people that seem to get personally offended if a card isn't shipped they way they would prefer. Granted, in this hobby as much as anything these days, it seems we always hear more about the negatives as opposed to the positive, but I think I honestly enjoyed my little card collecting bubble world more pre-internet.

Im sick of the septuplet jersey auto patch colored refractor out of 99 cards. I don't buy wax and stick to the stuff I enjoy, cleveland stuff and the hobby remains fun for me.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]