`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ever seen theses ultra rare joe Montana cards

RE: Ever seen theses ultra rare joe Montana cards
These are limited, for sure, but quite a few more than 12 out there.

(12-07-2012, 12:39 AM)bosteil Wrote: These are limited, for sure, but quite a few more than 12 out there.
yea folks...after doing some looking into this...the "12" number doesnt ring true, just as the 1995-96 finest mystery test refractor basketball set wasnt limited to 20 (and those had a similar story on how they got out. and heck, i owned at least 70 different cards from the set at one time or another)

the two sets that you can relate this to are 1995-96 finest mystery test refractors basketball and 1995-96 Collector's Choice Player's Club Platinum hockey. eventually beckett caught up with it, and the values tumbled this year. the test refractors set lost 3/4 it's value (the shaq went from 1000 to 250), and the hockey platinums lost 70% of their value (the yzerman went from 100 to 30)

as far as individual cards, the alex gordon comes to mind, though it isnt an exat equivalent. and i remember a football card from 2000 had a similar licensing issue, and at frst it was thought the number was very low, then it turned out there was more than expected

i think the mythology behind the montana card drives the sale price. and of course, you are obviously active in driving that mythology, with cause.

(12-07-2012, 04:34 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: yea folks...after doing some looking into this...the "12" number doesnt ring true, just as the 1995-96 finest mystery test refractor basketball set wasnt limited to 20 (and those had a similar story on how they got out. and heck, i owned at least 70 different cards from the set at one time or another)

the two sets that you can relate this to are 1995-96 finest mystery test refractors basketball and 1995-96 Collector's Choice Player's Club Platinum hockey. eventually beckett caught up with it, and the values tumbled this year. the test refractors set lost 3/4 it's value (the shaq went from 1000 to 250), and the hockey platinums lost 70% of their value (the yzerman went from 100 to 30)

as far as individual cards, the alex gordon comes to mind, though it isnt an exat equivalent. and i remember a football card from 2000 had a similar licensing issue, and at frst it was thought the number was very low, then it turned out there was more than expected

i think the mythology behind the montana card drives the sale price. and of course, you are obviously active in driving that mythology, with cause.
You may be right that there are more than 12 out there, but I doubt it....try asking a large number of collectors if they have ever seen an actual card. From 1995, when it was issued to 2003 when I retired from dealing, I had 13 card shops and did at least 2 trade shows a month, during that time I asked hundred of collectors if they have ever seen one other than the ones I had, the answer was always no. I when to 5 Natioanal Sports collectors conventions and never saw one at any of them....that's it for now...cheers to all

This guy is someone that obviously just showed up to try and push his card and get people to believe it's super valuable. Everyone knows Beckett doesn't really update it's older prices unless there is significant market activity, such as a relative unknown becoming a star and moving their rookies. I've seen this card sell on eBay before and it has gone for hundreds, not even close to thousands. That said, this guy is here to push his agenda and therefore will not listen to any reasoning, so it's best to just let the thread die.