`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Blast from the Past!!!

Blast from the Past!!!
So, I'm a long time collector who shuffles the old boxes of cards out of the closet every few months or so to smell the cardboard. I've passed this hobby onto both my sons, ages 18 and 9.

Now the reason for my post--- the hobby has changed over the years pretty drastically. There was something really special about growing up in a time where there was ONE CARD MANUFACTURER (Topps of the 70's and most of the 80's), no autos or game used or gimmicks, just the prospect of scoring a star or real rookie card. It was a great day of pack breaking when you got a John Riggins, James Lofton, Lynn Swann, or (gasp) a Walter Payton rookie. The gem of my collection is a Payton rookie I pulled from a pack when I was 8 years old. It's what you'd call off grade but I've case kept it for years and won't part with it.

Recently, I've been stocking my collection with rookie cards from the 70's and 80's--- the most iconic I guess. Marino, Montana, Rice, Young, and Sanders...

What are the other iconic rookie cards I should get?
What card in your collection means the most to you and why?

Thanks for posting and HAPPY THURSDAY!!!
Mike, Pittsburgh PA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: Blast from the Past!!!
Although I didn't do the 70s collecting. I do remember the late 80s and mass produced 90s cards. It was quite fun pulling that chase rookie. I think the market is way to flooded with patch cards now, I wish they would scale it back but I don't see it happening. I have been toying with the idea myself of buying the old rookies just to keep. I think you hit the big ones....could always grab some defense great rookies. I don't have one favorite card though, I have a few. A few different Cutlers, and a worn sweater piece of Jim Thorpe(I think he was the greatest athlete ever, notice I didn't say football player).

(11-29-2012, 09:23 PM)bluemask68 Wrote: So, I'm a long time collector who shuffles the old boxes of cards out of the closet every few months or so to smell the cardboard. I've passed this hobby onto both my sons, ages 18 and 9.

Now the reason for my post--- the hobby has changed over the years pretty drastically. There was something really special about growing up in a time where there was ONE CARD MANUFACTURER (Topps of the 70's and most of the 80's), no autos or game used or gimmicks, just the prospect of scoring a star or real rookie card. It was a great day of pack breaking when you got a John Riggins, James Lofton, Lynn Swann, or (gasp) a Walter Payton rookie. The gem of my collection is a Payton rookie I pulled from a pack when I was 8 years old. It's what you'd call off grade but I've case kept it for years and won't part with it.

Recently, I've been stocking my collection with rookie cards from the 70's and 80's--- the most iconic I guess. Marino, Montana, Rice, Young, and Sanders...

Mike, Pittsburgh PA
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

Hey, check out the link below to my collection that I am building, the first page has a great list for rookie cards to get. Let me know what you think.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1497214.html

(11-29-2012, 09:23 PM)bluemask68 Wrote: So, I'm a long time collector who shuffles the old boxes of cards out of the closet every few months or so to smell the cardboard. I've passed this hobby onto both my sons, ages 18 and 9.

Mike, Pittsburgh PA
Bradshaw, Lambert, Ham, mean Joe Greene, Swann, Stallworth, Bleier,Franco Harris, Staubach, Aikman, Dorsett, Payton, Campbell, Emmit Smith, Stabler, Jim Kelly, Too Tall Jones, Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen,Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Bettis,

the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

Love the thread. Keep us updated on mail days and such. Or start a new thread like the poster two above me did.

As for me, I'm only in college so I can't really relate to the whole one product aspect of collecting.

But I do remember pulling Arod's first Yankee card (paired with Derek Jeter) from a single pack of 2004 Topps at the grocery store down the street and feeling like I hit the lottery. I screamed.

But now, it's worth about two bucks. Still have it in a screw-down in my PC box. I'll never get rid of it.

And hey, consider adding the 90s stuff too. Favre, Manning, and Brady would look real pretty next to Montana, Marino, and Elway.

Cheers.
Photobucket

Here is a partial list from 70-86, there are more in these years I would get as well, but these are probably the bigger names.

70 Alan Page O.J. Simpson
71 Terry Bradshaw Joe Greene
72 John Riggins Archie Manning Jim Plunkett L.C.Greenwood Roger Staubach
73 Ken Anderson Franco Harris Jack Ham Ken Stabler
75 Lynn Swann Joe Theismann
76 Walter Payton
77 Steve Largent
78 Tony Dorsett John Stallworth
79 Earl Campbell
81 Joe Montana Art Monk
82 Ronnie Lott Anthony Munoz Lawrence Taylor
83 Marcus Allen Mike Singletary