`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ebay question: legit for seller to cancel sale?

RE: ebay question: legit for seller to cancel sale?
(11-18-2012, 04:36 PM)uvaspina Wrote: So, I recently won an auction on an A&G no number Miguel Cabrera. I think the winning bid was around $3.00, which was a good deal for me (my max bid was probably double that). Anyway, after the auction ends, I receive a notification (without explanation) that the seller wants to cancel the auction. I've never had this happen before, so I choose to "decline" and instead I pay for the item. Then, this morning, I receive a notification that the seller refunded me my money. S/he also sent a note that said, "sorry, I have too much into this card. Can't sell for that price."

Have you guys had this happen, either as a buyer or seller? I understand where the seller is coming from, but to me, that's part of the deal. You put an item up for auction with no reserve and you take a chance. It annoys me a little that I lost this item through no fault of my own and could've tried to bid on another one instead.

-Also, I didn't snipe this card, or put in my bid with a minute to go, or anything like that. Saw a card I wanted, put in my max bid, didn't monitor the auction, and just waited. The card was accurately described and included a photo (so it wasn't mis-listed or anything).
Wow this is a really crummy thing to do on the seller's part. This gives sellers a bad name. You did the right thing.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.

What is the seller's username?
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

He shouldn't be allowed to do that, I recently put a card on the bay as no reserve starting at .99 and Saturday I went to the big card show here in Chicago and decided to get the card raw card reviewed just out of curiosity. It came back 9.5 with a 10 auto. I wanted to cancel the auction but was unable to. After reading into it you aren't able to cancel an action with less than 24 hours left. I can only hope the buyer doesn't pay lol. I still made 177.50 but probably would make about 300-350 if I sold it stabbed as a 9.5.

I would email eBay and tell them what this guy is doing. Not only will he get bad feedback from you, he may get banned from the site.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

This is against the policy of eBay..as a seller, I am not allowed to cancel the bid less than 24 hours if no reserve..
He/she sold it and it was legit sale and they are required to deliver..I believe this to be true..
You. as a buyer, are required to pay or be penalized..why should the seller be able to not sell after selling?
I would get eBay involved right now..would not surprise me that they pull his/her account for doing this..
You are in the right here..you may never get that card..but it might prevent others from doing the same..
Otherwise, why can I not sell everything for a starting bid of $0.01 and then cancel the sale after it does not get the price I want.
However, I will be waiting for Jacoby's take on this..he is the most active seller on the board..
Jacoby?? What do you say..??

Has happened to me before. But as it has been said here in the past. The bay can not MAKE anyone send their item. I went round and round with them when this happened to me and as long as they refunded your money that is all is really going to happen. Jacobystealshome will probably be able to explain it in a more educated way then I simplified it.
[Image: yankees2copy.jpg]

Great, I can sell anything for any price and if I do not like the final price, I can cancel and refund..
Makes life a lot easier now...I got 100 to load for $0.05 each and away I go..maybe sell 1 or 2..for the price I want..great deal for the holiday..

(11-18-2012, 04:36 PM)uvaspina Wrote: So, I recently won an auction on an A&G no number Miguel Cabrera. I think the winning bid was around $3.00, which was a good deal for me (my max bid was probably double that). Anyway, after the auction ends, I receive a notification (without explanation) that the seller wants to cancel the auction. I've never had this happen before, so I choose to "decline" and instead I pay for the item. Then, this morning, I receive a notification that the seller refunded me my money. S/he also sent a note that said, "sorry, I have too much into this card. Can't sell for that price."

Have you guys had this happen, either as a buyer or seller? I understand where the seller is coming from, but to me, that's part of the deal. You put an item up for auction with no reserve and you take a chance. It annoys me a little that I lost this item through no fault of my own and could've tried to bid on another one instead.

-Also, I didn't snipe this card, or put in my bid with a minute to go, or anything like that. Saw a card I wanted, put in my max bid, didn't monitor the auction, and just waited. The card was accurately described and included a photo (so it wasn't mis-listed or anything).
the seller can pull a certain item up to 2 hrs before the auction ends. after that they can't. report them to ebay and demand your item. it is yours.

(11-19-2012, 05:25 PM)bestdrawl Wrote: the seller can pull a certain item up to 2 hrs before the auction ends. after that they can't. report them to ebay and demand your item. it is yours.
Pretty sure it's 24 hours.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

i really wanted to avoid this thread: hopefully, my response wont piss folks off too much

can and shouldnt are two different things, basically. if as a seller, you want to cancel it, ebay has enabled you to do so.

but cancelling an auction is also different than not completing the sale

cancelling an auction is something that happens BEFORE the auction was supposed to end. when done shadily, it's done because you dont like the price. ebay allows this as long as there is more than 12 hours left. that is totally allowable, and the seller can make up a reason. there is nothing to prevent a seller from doing it, and it isnt against ebay policy. is it ethical, does it make good business sense? maybe not. but a seller is within their rights to do so. you cant force a seller to sell

which is also true post-closure. if a seller doesnt like a price on his auction, he cannot be forced to actually complete the sale. you cant force him to send it. however, as a seller, if you choose that tactic, you have to be willing to eat a negative or neutral. that is the penalty for that kind of action. ebay really cant do much about it, unless it is something that happens regularly. in this case, does it make good business sense? it depends. a negative might hurt sales long-term, especially if you dont have established feedback. but if you have good feedback, and the potential loss of money is great enough, a seller might be warranted in their action from a business perspective. is it ethical? no. but good business, successful business sometimes meaning not doing things in the most ethical way.

lord knows i break ebay policies every day (nothing that hurts my customers, just ways of exploiting ebay's system). because im breaking the rules, it is unethical, but has also built my business on ebay, and made me successful. ebay KNOWS what i do, and every once in a while they spank me, but they have never shut me down fully. they have made changes to their system based on my actions, and ive had to figure out new ways of doing things. cat and mouse, a bit, but with no interest from the cat in actually killing the mouse

----------------------------------------------------

on a side note: i absolutely think the OP's response was the best way to do it. a negative, in my opinion, is tremendously damaging to a seller's ability to sell. if you get your money back timely, and the seller isnt an asshat about it, a neutral is a perfect solutions. plus, bang his stars
(11-19-2012, 05:25 PM)bestdrawl Wrote: the seller can pull a certain item up to 2 hrs before the auction ends. after that they can't. report them to ebay and demand your item. it is yours.
1. it's 12 hours
2. as i said above, you ebay cant force you to end it
3. the sense of entitlement that ebay has given buyers is blatantly ridiculous.
4. if i dont sell my item, and you stomp your feet? what are you gonna do about it? COME AT ME BRO. that's just silly. an item isnt "yours" unless you got it in your hands

and lket me expand this a bit: this is why beckett value isnt and shouldnt be based on EBAY sales. ebay isnt not a typical buying experience.

1. you dont get to inspect the card before purchase
2. unless it is a BIN, an auction format is not the same thing as retail*
3. you have to wait to get it

all three of these factors (plus more) necessarily mean that ebay sales will always be lower - for the most part - than in person sales

*in the appraisal world, for the most part, auction prices are not used to get retail value. auctions are very different than retail. auction sales are subject to way more variables, and a shorter sale time period.

leave negative feedback and tell the seller to list the price at a price he/she wants and not to give bidders hopes next time.
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]