`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Are grading companies becoming more shady? I have an idea...

RE: Are grading companies becoming more shady? I have an idea...
(11-21-2012, 02:31 PM)quavis Wrote: That wasnt a standard card size. Most of us werent alive back then, so we wouldnt know what the actual card size would be. Its hard to not be fooled when you have nothing to compare it to. If i had a standard size card graded, I would be able to tell if it were trimmed. The grading company probably didnt know it was trimmed either. I dont think they trimmed the t206. Im sure it has happened in the industry, but not enough to where we need to be afraid.
Oh common...no more excuses for these companies because they do have flaws and have made several mistakes in the past.

You get paid so much $ to do a job because that's your profession. So much to it as being the ones responsible for grading that card only to have millions of dollars of responsibility on your hands. If it wasn't a "trust worthy" option then there wouldn't be a lot of business, but there is. Mistakes and hook ups come along with it just like any other place of employment.

You can't tell me that favoritism doesn't exist? Especially in a place that can benefit ones pocket book to extremes...c'mon man, don't play me play lotto. I've been in the game too long not to be had for a fool. Some people have it in good with grading companies...this was my whole point in the beginning.

I think I did say favortism did exsist. When I said the LCS owners who send in a lot of cards get better grades. Im actually agreeing with you, I just dont think they are trimming cards on the reg.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

Anybody know how different grading companies keep the integrity of the grading process?

There should be some type of checks & balances...??

For raw grading, is it only one person that grades the card?
** if I have a $2,000 raw card, what are the chances that the grader might be a long term friend that I've known for years.. if I slip him $200-500 as a kickback, can I get a high grade...?? Just think about it.. That same circumstances can happen over & over.. same thing for cards being sent into get graded.. the name of the sender/collector is right on the form.. so the grader knows who he is grading cards for....

I think having a 3 person grading system & then taking the average grades would work better...
** CHECKS & BALANCES ** but that will never happen..

So the grading is thrown on one person.. we don't know who that person is.. they might make a lot of mistakes.. they might not grade cards the same, depending on what mood they are in that day... what if they are working on the day after Thanksgiving weekend & are still tired from driving 500 miles to get back home & to work... their judgement is not going to be the same.... No two people's judgement is the same, therefore I say the grading process is flawed...

I remember when I first learned what a graded card was... I looked up the Shaq UD rc's... they were booked at $400 (9.5 grade) way back then... now look at today's price.. not the same..

I believe most people try to grade cards so they can flip them... I have met a lot of people that collect graded 9.5 cards or want their PC cards all graded, which gets very expensive... but majority of those that get cards graded flip them for profit, or at least try to... some guys I've dealt with on ebay try to lie or trick their way into a lower price, then send it in for grading, a month or so later, I see the same cards show up on ebay... I don't care if they want to flip them, but no reason to lie from one collector to another...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

The grading company has NO idea WHOS cards they are grading. When they come in they are given a # that is only known by the person entering in the cards into the system. The graders sit in an office and are given just the cards...Not who they came from.

No one is making people buy graded cards.
I will always buy a graded over no-graded. A third party is always better than a person’s word on if a card is mint or not. At least with a third party there is a base line to what ‘mint’ is…with other collectors this is VERY broad.

The small chance of corruption is not worth worrying about.
The graders are no going to risk their job just for a $200 kick back....come on.
Maybe I just have more faith then people than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdTIX7LGo8

I'm sure BGS is almost the same.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

(11-22-2012, 10:22 PM)arabiansnowgriz Wrote: The grading company has NO idea WHOS cards they are grading. When they come in they are given a # that is only known by the person entering in the cards into the system. The graders sit in an office and are given just the cards...Not who they came from.

No one is making people buy graded cards.
I will always buy a graded over no-graded. A third party is always better than a person’s word on if a card is mint or not. At least with a third party there is a base line to what ‘mint’ is…with other collectors this is VERY broad.

The small chance of corruption is not worth worrying about.
The graders are no going to risk their job just for a $200 kick back....come on.
Maybe I just have more faith then people than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdTIX7LGo8

I'm sure BGS is almost the same.
My thoughts exactly.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

I believe there are 2-3 graders who grade cards and they average the scores. Like I said before... I'm sure the majority of the business is pretty straight forward but there will always be some shady play here and there. ESPECIALLY people who get them RCR'd at their local shows. It's too easy to slip them a few hundred bucks to have them slap a BGS 9.5 sticker on it. Then once they submit them to BGS in Texas, they'll have to honor the grade and slab it a BGS 9.5. You have no idea how many BGS 9.5 cards I've seen that hardly look Gem Mint with their corners, surface and edges.

Just imagine having a 1998-99 MJ Rubies that normally sells for ~$6k raw ungraded. A few hundred bucks to have it RCR graded Mint 9 or a 9.5 is nothing when you've now just made it a $10k+ card. I've heard of stories like this from numerous people. And when you consider the amount of trimmed cards and fake patches that have been graded high recently... it's hard not to ponder about the whole grading system and question it.

It's nice to have your cards in Gem Mint slabs but just do your homework before paying the premium just for the Grade. I know of at least 5 High End 90's MJ's that have been trimmed and received a Gem Mint grade. Thanks to forums, most people are staying away from those specific cards but who's to say more and more are out there and the same group of people who are doing this will continue to milk the system and make a fortune.

there are crooked people everywhere. I know people & have heard of others that made over $100,000 a year... get caught up in fraud because of a few lousy hundred dollars.. I been offered kickbacks while I was in the Navy... most was material items not money.. but it was a lot... I had to turn one company in, because of their crooked practices.. & this was regarding a 2 million dollar contract... the guys I was talking to tried everything to get me & my Supply Officer to pick them for the contract.. even though the minimum bids we had to get was 3 for the same/similar material and/or services..

We were smarter not to get caught up in any shady business.. because it would cost us our job & we would probably end up in the Brig, which is no joke. I know a few Supply Officers & Enlisted Sailors that are still there...

-- I understand what arabiansnowgriz is saying.

But there are still shady people everywhere.. those that make over a $100K will take a gamble for a few hundred dollars here & there, because when it is all added up.. that is extra money...

Look at all the different companies that certify autographs... some of those guys have committed fraud or shady business dealings.. google it.. you find all the stories.. I would rather trust UD, TOPPS, or PANINI with their autograph cards... but I still question their jerseys...

Where do they get their jersey's from.. some are from 3rd parties, not the NBA... especially when it comes to HOF players... I have a bunch of jersey's that look real.. probably pass certification/authentication... but they are fake.. I paid about $20-50 each for them.. I used to have a DJ J jersey that was supposed to be game used.. I had a little certificate for it, but turned out to be fake.. I sold it for $50 to a friend that collected jerseys.. this was back in early 2002..

How does the grading company know the patch is not fake... ??? Pretty sure everybody seen the MJ graded patch/logoman card on ebay.. the card says it is a jersey, not a patch.. first person that won the card never paid, so it got relisted... people still bid on it, thinking it is the real thing, because it got graded.... but we all know... there was no logoman patches on that type of card...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

Just a quick heads up in this conspiracy theory, Raw Card Review grades are not guaranteed to grade out the same when you send them into BGS (common misconception and total waste of $ IMO). Also, the graders at BGS headquarters have no way of knowing who sent in what. Your cards go through a few different people before they ever even make it to the graders. As for cash for high grades, someone on this site I believe once tried that and had everything returned ungraded with shipping billed to him lol. The patch thing, there's no database showing what patches went into which card, I'd blame the card manufacturers before I'd blame BGS in that regard.

(11-23-2012, 10:43 AM)krayzie83 Wrote: Just a quick heads up in this conspiracy theory, Raw Card Review grades are not guaranteed to grade out the same when you send them into BGS (common misconception and total waste of $ IMO). Also, the graders at BGS headquarters have no way of knowing who sent in what. Your cards go through a few different people before they ever even make it to the graders. As for cash for high grades, someone on this site I believe once tried that and had everything returned ungraded with shipping billed to him lol. The patch thing, there's no database showing what patches went into which card, I'd blame the card manufacturers before I'd blame BGS in that regard.
WOW!!! You may have saved me $1200 with the knowledge that a Rare Card Review is not 100% guaranteed to get a Final grade of BGS 9.5.
Thank you!
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]