`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Card investing?

Card investing?
Hi, just had a question for some of the older card collecters or investors. I know that some people use the term investing but with the current economy and they way the card market is going how would you start to actually invest in them. Quite frankly the only way i can think is to find vintage cards and grade them so they dont deteriate or find players today who is going to be HOF and mass collect them so that once they walk in the hall your cards walk out? I am interested to see what people say since i would love to open my own card shop.....But its expensive and topps doesnt like to respond to emails.

RE: Card investing?
(11-16-2012, 12:26 PM)kbfullerr Wrote: Hi, just had a question for some of the older card collecters or investors. I know that some people use the term investing but with the current economy and they way the card market is going how would you start to actually invest in them. Quite frankly the only way i can think is to find vintage cards and grade them so they dont deteriate or find players today who is going to be HOF and mass collect them so that once they walk in the hall your cards walk out? I am interested to see what people say since i would love to open my own card shop.....But its expensive and topps doesnt like to respond to emails.
Opening a card shop is one thing, but once you get in to talk about "investing" in baseball cards, I think you're usually further ahead by hiding cash in your mattress.

I don't think most card shops are making money by investing in cards, so much as hoping for a relatively quick flip for profit, either by buying wholesale, or paying a collector much less than current market for any cards they want to sell.

have a physical shop if you want but ebay is the way to go...buy stuff in mass quantities on craigslist for next to nothing and break it down into singles and small lots. and burn everything from 86-92 so that one day those cards will be hard to find.

i have been trying to buy on craigslist but omg some people are so attached to there stuff they want 500 dollars for maybe 2000 cards from the 80s and 90s

Investing in anything takes knowledge and luck. However running a business (i.e. a card shop) is not so much about investing as it is about the understanding the operations of the business, and being able to change with the times when needed (both in terms of who are the hottest players and getting cards of them in stock, and also in terms of technology; as most card shops now have some sort of online presence, be it a website or selling through eBay, COMC, SportsBuy, etc).
Now back to your original question regarding how to invest in cards. It is not easy and definitely requires quite a bit of knowledge and luck. Just buying old cards and having them graded may work, but it is not a guarantee of profit (as even old players' cards can drop in value). Buying new cards of potential future HOFers can be dangerous as well (look at many of the "sure 1st ballot" candidates from the 80s and 90s who now due to the PED scandals might not ever get in and whose card values have all dropped). Even current rookies have high risk, as the current style of investing seems to be to buy high and sell higher (in hopes that there is another person willing to pay a little bit more than you). Even established players like Albert Pujols can see some big drop in value if they have a bad year or as they get closer to the end of their careers and their yearly numbers drop. You can try the method of flipping cards by buying lots of no-name prospects and hoping one of them hits big, then selling when they do. You could try box/case breaks but that is more gambling then investing.
Now I don't want to discourage you from investing in cards, I just wanted to point out that you need to do some research to understand exactly what method of investing may work for you. Keep in mind most people that "invest" in cards do it because they enjoy the cards to begin with and see the possible profit as a nice reward but not the main reason for collecting.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I think the main thing about opening a card store is traffic......how and who do you get to come into your store? Who are going to be your customers? Folks buying new, folks buying old? Who is your competition? What else are you going to offer: other collectables, other cards/gaming cards (Pokemon, Ugio ext), comic books ect......what can you offer that someone will have to come to your store for instead of going online.

quick note example....a lcs near me is a great place....well stocked shelves with new and old products, a great selection of vintage and hobby supplies, honest well informed employees (ie no pack searching allowed), do alot in the community.....however, they charge between $20-$30 more for a box then I can get online. I throw them a bone once in a while, but the majority of my stuff I buy online.

The bricks a mortor can only be one part of your equation..(1) Store (2) online presence and (3) doing shows/flea markets.

I wish you nothing but the best, but be careful and most of all be very very honest. If not, you will be out of business real fast.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Seeing LCS closing 1 by 1 is a scary thought as I too have concidered opening my own store. I go to as many different stores and take notes of what i do and dont like. Being only 26 i see it as i have time to build on what i want for myself. And just because you might be the only store in town or maybe even the next couple towns for that doesnt mean people will go to you. its what you have to offer. from team/player collectors, set builders, high end, down to kids, gotta try and make it family friendly. should be all about sports not just cards. auto jerseys, balls, mcfarlane stuff some odds and ends and know the area. here in florida they are big on NASCAR and FSU and FU stuff like this is a must. baseball heavy might not always be the best way. supplies also refreshments is a must. nothing sucks worse then a person leaving becuase they are thirsty and doesnt return because they are already out of the store

I'll +1 all the thoughts on "investing" & running a store being two completely different pursuits.

As far as investing goes, I think that'll take you lots of knowledge, as others have said, along with making sure you're consistently out there searching for cards, both on the bay and at shows, flea markets, shops, etc. You might get lucky; if you stumble upon a real find, you'll be more likely to hold on to and it enjoy watching it grow as an "investment".

If you're looking to open a store, all I have to say is to think carefully about the image you put out there as an LCS. There's a card shop less than a mile from my home, but I'll never go there again due to their habits of letting people pack search, dubious pricing policies, and disgusting state of the store, i.e., dust bunnies all over packs and food stains on the cases. Not to mention the condescending attitude of the manager whenever I asked about a product. Ok, rant over, lol, but you get the idea. Big Grin

Another +1 on both being different topics.

As far as investing, it can be a very complex answer, but a simple suggestion is go with something where there is a historical trend and my personal belief is that the older, the higher grade, and the rarer the better. The key is to not overpay and learning how to do that only comes with experience.

Personally, I'm focusing on a rare set like 1966 Topps Venezuelans (graded) because it is very scarce and I believe will continue to rise in value above what I have put into it so far and history is on my side in that pursuit. First I really like the challenge, but I also see it as a collection that qualifies as an investment.

Another area I'm thinking is an investment, but may be riskier, are HOF relic cards. The rough historical data on these is only a decade-plus old compared to vintage, some of which has a 120+ year history going back to cabinet cards.

What concerns me most about Vintage is the effect of baby boomers exiting collecting.

Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

If you want to invest in cards, graded vintage is the way to go.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!