`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
did superstorm sandy change card collecting

RE: did superstorm sandy change card collecting
(11-16-2012, 03:41 PM)acevanquish Wrote: This was the banner at the top while reading this post
[Image: 11692084803238608579]
I noticed that too. I think more people will consider insurance, but I don't think the other two points will/have happen/happened.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(11-16-2012, 01:28 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: I'm not too fond of Sandy being called a Super Storm. Freak storm that brought damage to an area that wasnt ready and prepared for storm. But in Florida its something we deal with all the time. Bad timing, Wrong area = bad damage
same things could be asked any time a tornado hits the midwest or a wildfire breaks out in Colorado disasters happen and people wont change there ways until it hits too close to home but at that point its only a small fraction of collectors
Seriously???
This was a category 1(just short of a cat 2) hurricane then it mixed with an historic low pressure system off the coast, a cold front from the west & add the blocking high pressure system over Greenland. Essentially it was 3 storms or storm systems combined. The storm surge was the highest in nearly 200 years in NY/NJ. Freak storm? You bet but no way is it something you or anyone deals with all the time.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

Honestly, some of these comments disgust me. I live in an area affected by the storm and I believe it was a SUPERSTORM. I know I live in NY and not Florida or another place that gets hit with hurricanes often but this seemed pretty bad to me. I didn't lose anything, except power for 2 weeks. I was one of the few lucky ones in my area and the surrounding areas. There was not too much rain and the wind wasn't extremely strong, but the surge was what did most of the damage. In my area, which is in flood zone B, and was not evacuated or predicted to have much damage, got hit really hard. At least 80% of the cars are totaled, towtrucks cant get them out fast enough! (Somehow my cars didn't get damaged but my neighbors got flooded and totaled) There are still a bunch on sidewalks, in the streets, against poles, that you can see the residue in. In the other areas, flood zone A, people lost everything. All my friends and family in my neighborhood and zone A neighborhoods lost just about everything. All you see is furniture, rugs, and all other stuff that people had to get rid of, in the streets. It is such a sad sight. Stores by me still aren't open and I don't think they will open for a while. We were ready for this storm too. What can you do? People had sandbags, their houses boarded up, and parked their cars at a higher elevation. They still had no luck.
[Image: jetersig_zps16abeec2.jpg]
Collecting Robinson Cano, Eduardo Nunez, and Derek Jeter
Also making sigs

I live in NJ and think it is offensive to say this was a mere storm that we weren't prepared for. No one can prepare for trees hitting there house, cutting it in half. For NY's tunnels to be closed because of water is unheard of, in what some people referred to it as "not a big deal." Has Florid dealt with worse? Yes. However, this is the most densely populated area in the country. Further, I am no electrician, but you can't prepare for power outages.
Busting boxes!!!

(11-17-2012, 07:18 AM)mweber012 Wrote: I live in NJ and think it is offensive to say this was a mere storm that we weren't prepared for. No one can prepare for trees hitting there house, cutting it in half. For NY's tunnels to be closed because of water is unheard of, in what some people referred to it as "not a big deal." Has Florid dealt with worse? Yes. However, this is the most densely populated area in the country. Further, I am no electrician, but you can't prepare for power outages.
Exactly.
[Image: jetersig_zps16abeec2.jpg]
Collecting Robinson Cano, Eduardo Nunez, and Derek Jeter
Also making sigs