`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bird/Magic Rookie- Most under rated card of all time?

Bird/Magic Rookie- Most under rated card of all time?
The Jordan 86 Fleer wtf post got me thinking...Is there a single basketball card out there that is more slept on than the Bird Magic RC? Here is a card that is 30+ yrs old, is INSANELY condition sensitive AND features the undisputed RCs of two of the greatest and most influential players in basketball history. I rarely see any solid 9's in either slab out there. I have been looking to upgrade my PSA for a hot minute and have had no luck!

Bird was an absolute beast and Magic may very well be the best player to lace up not named Michael Jordan and a 9 will run you about $1200 and and 8 a measly $300. Seriously...WOW.

RE: Bird/Magic Rookie- Most under rated card of all time?
Yeah man that's insane!!! I'd suggest buying a BGS 9/PSA 9 ASAP on that one if you can afford it! People are caught up in all the new crap, but once this hobby fades away, and sadly it will with time, it'll be cards like THAT that still retain high value & increase because they transcend the hobby and are more like historical artifacts!

You are absolutely right, that is definitely (in my opinion) one the most Iconic cards of all time! I would love to own one regardless the grade just to own (like Bengu said) an historical artifact. All though, I don't know about the hobby fading away, in about 14 years RC cards of Kobe will be 30 years old. I think as long as the NBA is successful in creating a superstar every so often such as a Kobe or Lebron the hobby will continue to thrive. It has faded before many times and has been brought back to life by new superstars and new products. If anything the Asian market will carry the hobby. IMO!

(11-16-2012, 08:09 AM)bengu Wrote: Yeah man that's insane!!! I'd suggest buying a BGS 9/PSA 9 ASAP on that one if you can afford it! People are caught up in all the new crap, but once this hobby fades away, and sadly it will with time, it'll be cards like THAT that still retain high value & increase because they transcend the hobby and are more like historical artifacts!
I agree. The hobby isn't anything like it was when i was growing up collecting. I just don't see how new people find there way in with the exclusivity deals and redundant products that are being released. Everything seems like a chase for the hits these days and all the hits are some jersey or some sticker auto.

On the other hand, I see a ton of guys my age (32) and older getting back into collecting and keeping the market for older, blue chip cards like Magic/Bird and MJ Fleers hot. Look at the major run on MJ inserts from the 90's...most people going after those are guys in their late 20's early 30s that have more disposable income now and remember them from their early collecting days.

But now I'm WAY off topic...Back to Bird/Magic...such and amazing card of two amazing players. Both incredibly likable, both champions and both american icons... $300-400 for 8's and 8.5? Sign me up!!

I have been thinking the same thing for some time now. When I got back in cards a year ago, that was one of the first cards I went for! Still love looking at it to this day.

Might look for an upgrade soon.
[Image: 1980Bird.jpg]
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

the Bird/Magic RC was the 2nd all time great card... I remember everybody trying to get it when I first found out what a card shop was.. I was 10 years old.. I fell in love with that card & the MJ RC...

of course, everybody wanted MJ.. but who did they want next.... BIRD/MAGIC..... I remember the Bird/Magic card selling more than the MJ... back in the early 90's... I could of got one that was ripped apart for about $100.. but being a kid.. I didn't have the money...

There are three classic cards I always wanted.... MJ, BIRD/MAGIC, WILT... Rookies.... those are my top three favorites for Vintage cards!! One day, I will own all three... graded of course.. don't care if it is a graded 7.5 ... as long as it has 4 straight corners & no creases.. I would be extremely happy!!
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I got my Bird/Magic RC for just $50.

(11-17-2012, 08:23 AM)will23c1982 Wrote: I got my Bird/Magic RC for just $50.
Please explain lol??

The centering isn't great on my Bird/Erving/Magic RC, but it has sharp corners. So I got it for a bargain $50 ($55 including postage).

Although I'd obviously love to own PSA 10s, realistically I can't afford that. But I find it astonishing that you can get RCs of legendary players for a fraction of the cost if you're willing to buy cards in relatively poor condition.

For example, this week I received a Bill Russell RC card in the post. It's one of the new centrepieces of my collection. It goes great with my Bob Cousy RC. Neither of them would receive high grades, but that doesn't really affect how much I value them. And it allowed me to get them for truly great prices.

[Image: P1020528.jpg][Image: P1020532.jpg]