`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Grading advice needed

Grading advice needed
I just placed a bid on the bay for a graded Mike Trout Pro Debut card. I glanced at the image, saw the red sticker, assumed PSA and bid. Now that I look closer at it, I'm not sure it's PSA and might be a knock off.

Are there known knockoffs of PSA slabs out there that anyone knows of?

It's a live auction, so I can't post the link, but if anyone would like to look at it and lend their advice I'd PM the link.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but graded cards are something that I've just started thinking about ... apparently I need to pay better attention.
And I now grow more wary because every item the seller has for sale is "graded" 10 - Gem Mint.
Kepler

RE: Grading advice needed
the one you are looking at is NOT PSA

this is psa:

that first one is as bogus as a three dollar bill

Thank you ... that's what I was thinking. The seller also hasn't returned my email asking who graded the card so it appears a bid retraction is coming. Thanks for the help.
Bid retracted. The seller's name is the-sport-shack ... 35+ listings all with labels just like the one above, all the same "gem mint" grade. Also includes a certification number for whatever company is grading these. Heads up to everyone and thanks to jacoby for confirming my suspicions.
Kepler

Oh yeah, it's bogus, bogus, bogus, bogus.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Well I mean (from what I can tell with this "high quality" image lol) is the card isn't in bad shape. Centering seems 40/60 and the corners are sharp. Could still grade a bgs 9.5 or psa 10... Possibly
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be in bad shape and I probably could've got it for cheap, but then if I'd wanted to get it graded for real I would've had to try to get it out of that cheap slab ... or whatever it is. Probably best to go with raw cards or legit graded ones.
Kepler

(11-11-2012, 03:39 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: I just placed a bid on the bay for a graded Mike Trout Pro Debut card. I glanced at the image, saw the red sticker, assumed PSA and bid. Now that I look closer at it, I'm not sure it's PSA and might be a knock off.

Are there known knockoffs of PSA slabs out there that anyone knows of?

It's a live auction, so I can't post the link, but if anyone would like to look at it and lend their advice I'd PM the link.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but graded cards are something that I've just started thinking about ... apparently I need to pay better attention.
And I now grow more wary because every item the seller has for sale is "graded" 10 - Gem Mint.
The holder that its in looks like its made from 2 pieces of plastic.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

It's probably only going to be a ten on that guy's computer created sticker, but you could get a 9 or 9.5 for it. But what if the card is bogus, like you order a Mike Trout and get some over production era common?
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

I find it sad that only ONE person has left him negative feedback or even questioned the authenticity of his graded cards. I wonder how PSA feels about sticker ripoffs like that.
Kepler

I do a lot of buying on eBay and have never seen these before. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. Very scary. I have two young nephews who save up their allowance to buy graded rookie cards and can see them buying these without knowing what they are.
Currently collecting Mike Trout, Bo Jackson and Al Kaline.

Sets for sale or trade:

1998 Leaf Rookies & Stars-- 99.7% complete.
1999 Finest-- Complete.
2000 Bowman Chrome-- Complete.
2001 Studio---97% complete.