IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The De-saturation of the Hall of Fame

RE: The De-saturation of the Hall of Fame
(11-07-2012, 03:10 PM)capncush Wrote: i know none of them
i second that...
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

1) the fact that someone isn't a household name shouldn't matter for their candidacy (it's only natural to not know as much about players from 100 years ago)
2) But I do agree that their are some weak HOFers already inducted
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(11-08-2012, 11:28 AM)iconms Wrote: 1) the fact that someone isn't a household name shouldn't matter for their candidacy (it's only natural to not know as much about players from 100 years ago)
2) But I do agree that their are some weak HOFers already inducted
I agree with both points.

Even if somebody on this ballot who is unworthy of the HOF gets in, it won't be the first time. Anybody interested on the topic of who deserves to be in the hall, you should read the book Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame by Bill James.
Collecting T205 and Baseball HOF autos (currently at 116 of 298)

I think Barry Bonds will end up opening the flood gates because even before he started using PED's he won 3 NL MVP awards and was still getting 30+ homeruns a year. It's going to be hard to deny him though he might not get in his 1st year I am thinking by the 3rd he will be in.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

I also think that the PED guys like Bonds, Mcgwire, Clemens and so on will eventually get in. I may not like it but I am confident it will happen. On the other side, I dont think Pete Rose wil EVER get in and the fact that the above mentioned 80's stars will at the very least be on a ballot some day is complete BS in my opinion.

You will start to see more familiar names on the ballots in years to come. Guys like Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper, Griffey, Frank Thomas, Randy Johnson having just retired will all be first ballot inductees in my opinion and I know Im forgetting a few.

Then there is a huge list of guys on the verge of retirement like Jeter, Rivera, Thome, Vlad, Vizquel and Ichiro who, if not a lock in, definitely stand a good chance.

Even though I dont see but a couple of names not deserving on your original post, you shouldnt worry. There will be plenty of "famous" names on the ballots in years to come. Just because a player isnt a household name almost 100 years after their retirement dosnt make them any less important to the history of the game and their franchises.

If your looking for a hall of mediocrity, look no further than the pro football hall of fame.
It also appears to me that this is a different ballot all together. The PRE-integration era ballot.

LF 1934/1936 Diamond Stars
&
05 Turkey Red SPs
13 Turkey Red
12 Archives Au's
12 Archives Gold
13 Finest Master Set
Ginter mini Snakes/Fortunes/Beards/Hats/Bikes

The Hall of Fame is designed to recognize on-field ond off-field persons who contributed to the sport of Baseball. Unless your a true history buff of the game, there are quite a few of people you would not have "heard" of. There will always be the who deserves to be / doesn't deserve to be in argument, which is great. Look at Sandy Koufax's record.....does he belong in when someone like Jamie Moyer who has more wins isn't and will never be? Does Babe Ruth (the greatest of all time in my opinion) belong when he didn't have to deal with night baseball nor play aginst black, spanish or other non-White players? Era and what you did during your era, should be the main focal point.

See how easily feathers can be ruffeled? Enjoy the game and our hobby & when you see a name you don't recognize take the time as others have posted above and find out about the person and compare them to thier contemperaries.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

At what point do you put an artifact into the Hall to commemorate a player's achievement(s) instead of enshrinement for that player? Johnny VanderMeer pitched back to back no-hitters. Don Larsen pitched a perfect game in the World Series. Those events should be commemorated in the Hall without enshrining the players. (Which I believe is the case in these two examples.) Is four 30 win seasons in an era when many pitchers won 30 in a season a feat worthy of enshrinement? A guy invented a baseball. Do you put the baseball (or a replica of it) in the Hall along with a commemorative plaque or do you enshrine the inventor and make him a Hall of Famer? Where do you draw the line?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I don't think anyone is enshrined due to a one time accomplishment. If they could ever figure out who invented the baseball and had the actual ball.....the inventor sb enshrined and the ball put on display.

As far as your 30 game winner example...again, look at the era and how that player's career compares to his/her comtemporaries. A short period of excellence (4-7 years in my opinion) does not qualify for HOF enshrinement. Longevity in and of its self also doesn't qualify for enshrinement.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I think anyone who has a long term effect on the very nature of the game or how it's played deserves to be in. The key phrase being long term effect. Case in point, going way back here, Morgan Bulkeley and William Hulbert. Bulkeley was the selected to be the first president of the National League in 1876, served one one-year term then left baseball and went on to own numerous banks. Hulbert was the second president, turned professional baseball into a profitable and (somewhat) respectable venture and served until his death in 1882. Bulkeley was one of the first executives elected to the Hall while Hulbert didn't gain his rightful election until 1995! So, there are some in the Hall who might not deserve to be but some who, by their efforts in enhancing the long term standing of the game, have had to wait longer than they should have or are still waiting. Just my opinion.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

I hope Marty Marion gets in. I remember hearing stories about him from grandfathers when I was just a little boy.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/