`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My first BGS submission...what a bust

RE: My first BGS submission...what a bust
Maybe I am expecting to much, but it just seems BGS would need to wipe the card to make an accurate grade, and would do it on their own initiative.

I see both sides, I see BGS side as far as concerned they could be accused of scratching the surface of a card, but those concerns should not be considerably more than edges and corners.

The other side would be that they could give higher grades if they wiped the card surface and when did giving an extra .5-1 on a grade hurt the customer approval???
FB PC: Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Derrick Thomas, Chiefs
BB PC: Whit Merrifield, Salvador Perez, George Brett, Royals

(10-29-2012, 09:56 PM)jarmll Wrote: Maybe I am expecting to much, but it just seems BGS would need to wipe the card to make an accurate grade, and would do it on their own initiative.

I see both sides, I see BGS side as far as concerned they could be accused of scratching the surface of a card, but those concerns should not be considerably more than edges and corners.

The other side would be that they could give higher grades if they wiped the card surface and when did giving an extra .5-1 on a grade hurt the customer approval???
i honestly didnt think to clean the surface of the card....like you i thought they would clean it or not count fingerprints against the grade....

lesson learned
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

With all liability aside if I were a grader why would I wipe you card when I get double the overhead charge when you send it in twice possibly for grading due to not cleaning it on your own. Also keeping the population low on the high grades. You have to remember they are a business just like the local Wal-Mart, Target, insert whatever name here, etc. But I see your input.....but it's a business to them in the end. That's just all IMO though.

(10-29-2012, 09:56 PM)jarmll Wrote: Maybe I am expecting to much, but it just seems BGS would need to wipe the card to make an accurate grade, and would do it on their own initiative.

[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

(10-29-2012, 10:07 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: With all liability aside if I were a grader why would I wipe you card when I get double the overhead charge when you send it in twice possibly for grading due to not cleaning it on your own. Also keeping the population low on the high grades. You have to remember they are a business just like the local Wal-Mart, Target, insert whatever name here, etc. But I see your input.....but it's a business to them in the end. That's just all IMO though.
Yeah, I can see that. At the same time if I didn't care to wipe and give it it's best shot, why should they. I have a feeling this will certainly be an issue. A lot of these were trades that I never took out of plastic they were sent to me in so certainly a lot of mine will be this silly surface mistake.

Good lesson to learn now.
I collect Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Michael Jordan.

BGS is assuming a lot if they think I will send that card back to them. I could always go PSA or a couple other places. I have a few older cards that I sent in for grading and if they come in any lower than a 7 they will not be sent back to BGS, they will be sent to PSA. This is especially true for Beckett Vintage where they don't even give me subs.

Its not their responsibility to clean your cards. It is yours. As for your grades - My 1st submission was the same way and 90% of it was surface. I cracked most and resent in and was happy afterwards. Marked the extra cost up to a lesson learned. Hopefully it wasnt a huge submission. Mine was 30 cards so I ate about $280 lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

+1, same as me. It wasn't 30 but a few....I cracked and resubmitted and then found that article I posted and read up.

(10-29-2012, 11:10 PM)branesergen Wrote: Its not their responsibility to clean your cards. It is yours. As for your grades - My 1st submission was the same way and 90% of it was surface. I cracked most and resent in and was happy afterwards. Marked the extra cost up to a lesson learned. Hopefully it wasnt a huge submission. Mine was 30 cards so I ate about $280 lol
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

This might be the most informative thread I have ever seen on this site. Excellent explanation, england!

jarmll, it IS an accurate grade either way. It's just a lower grade if you didn't wipe the surface clean. On top of the reasons given why they don't wipe it for you, also know they have to get through a number of cards. Slowing down to fix your problem cuts into their productivity.

Also know, a PSA grade 9 <> BGS 9, so fixing the issues with your card, but sending it to somewhere else will cost you money in the end, if your intention is to flip it.
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

for the sake of clarity the How-To provided on the first page of the post can be found here...http://reviews.ebay.com/Complete-beginners-guide-to-grading-cards-BGS-PSA?ugid=10000000003819455
Not sure if this is the same individual that posted it here, but give credit where credit is due!

22 cards so maybe a little over zealous for my first but again I saw good corners, edges, and centering and completely dropped the ball on surface. I'm also getting ahead of myself as I have not seen them yet for the subgrades. I'm just making an assumption at this point. We will see when they come back and if it's blatant surface, I will share in the sentiment of costly first mistake. Glad I brought it up, learned a lot tonight
I collect Mickey Mantle, Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron, Jackie Robinson, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, and Michael Jordan.