`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NY Islanders Move to Brooklyn

NY Islanders Move to Brooklyn
My team, the NY Islanders are moving from Uniondale to Brooklyn, (about 20 miles away). The Nassau Coliseum will hold Isles games until 2015, when they will move to the Barclays Center.

I wonder about a few things...

1. Will the value of any Islanders cards/autos change as a result of the move? Given that the team name & logo will remain the same & the only real change is where they are playing, I doubt it.

2. Will the Islanders finally be able to attract "big time" free agents? They've been getting by with waiver wire pickups, (Grabner), under the radar projects, (Moulson), and high draft picks, (Tavares). Will the stability of the franchise now be enough to get top tier talent to put them over the top & make them a playoff contender?

3. Will there be more interest in the team? Brooklyn isn't exactly a hotbed for hockey and most likely any hockey fans there are probably Rangers fans due to the proximity of NYC. The move was more of a necessity in order to keep the team in NY than a calculated move to generate revenues & interest.

Your thoughts?

RE: NY Islanders Move to Brooklyn
I think the answer to all three is "no"... and quite a shame since those 80's teams were so dominant, with so many really great players
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

I think the NYI move was because they really need a new arena and I agree with Phil for the answers

I have to ask a few friends who have tickets to see how they are going to react
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

I think bad contacts have done more harm for the team than the actual location.
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

1: No. The logo is the same, the name is the same and the team is the same. Won't affect card values.

2: No. That problem was never a location issue and always an ownership/management issue. If they can smarten up on contracts, develop young players and seriously pimp their own history, then you'll see better players there.

3: No, but there won't be any less either.

The move was solely for the arena. They've been trying for years to get one and when Nassau county voted down a new arena, a move for the team was sealed. The good news is it's not too far so they'll be able to keep a decent portion of their existing fan base.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

I would agree with the above and say no, the move was for new arena space.

SET COLLECTOR, RYAN SMYTH, BOBBY ORR AND MARTIN ST. LOUIS

I'm a Rangers fan and live in Brooklyn and I'm excited. Going to MSG to catch a Rangers game with my family is freakin expensive.

I always enjoyed going to Nassau Coliseum to watch the Islanders for a few reasons.

1. I usually went to see the opposing team, Rangers, Penguins, Coyotes (To meet Gretzky when he coached. and did!)

2. The Islanders were always more fan friendly than the Rangers, allowing my daughter on the ice multiple times to shoot pucks into the net after the game. How awesome is that for a kid??

3. Cost. Where else in NY can you watch hockey for 3 people for less than $100. Not MSG, that's for sure.

If the islanders bring those qualities to Brooklyn, while I wont switch allegiances, even though the wife is a huge isles fan, I'll get some sorta partial plan for the family.

From a collecting standpoint, I dont see much of a huge bump.

personally I preferred the Islanders over the Rangers

not sure why just prefer the blue and orange I guess