`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1948 Leaf Babe Ruth...Should I get it graded?

1948 Leaf Babe Ruth...Should I get it graded?
Hey guys I see there's been a few posts recently about sending in vintage cards to get graded, and I've been debating this one for a while. I've got a 1948-'49 Leaf Babe Ruth #3 I've been wanting to send in to get graded, but havn't sent it in yet. I've been checking different grading services and I'm torn between which one to send it to. I've been told PSA or SGC are the way to go with vintage, but the cost for PSA was like $65 to get it graded I believe. I just don't want to send it in for $65 to get it graded and have it come back a 1 or 2 and possibly be worth less than what it is ungraded. The card does have minor wrinkle/crease around the middle of the card on the left side, and it is off-centered top to bottom. Other than that it looks to be in decent shape to me. My question is what grade do you think it would get if I sent it in to either grading service and is it worth it?

[Image: IMAG0266.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0267.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0255.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0256.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0257.jpg]

RE: 1948 Leaf Babe Ruth...Should I get it graded?
Nobody can give me any help on this...?

Man I'll be honest. I'm not a vintage guy but I doubt it can be worth less graded. The fact is these type cards are so often seen fake that grading it also authenticates it and in my opinion helps its value. I also prefer SGC.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

SGC dosen't have the name that PSA has, but man their holders and slabs look sooooooooo much better. If it is going into your PC and never leaving (accept for a tremendous offer) I'd send that out ASAP. Even if that comes back a 2 (I would guess a 3) its going to look fantastic.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Yeah it would take a hefty offer to get it from me, especially once it gets graded. I know PSA has had its trouble with its credibility in recent months, but it also seems that its still the preffered grading service as far as vintage cards. I do agree that the SGC slabs look better, and in terms of the card itself being graded by either it seems like there is no difference in value of the card. The only major difference I saw was the price of sending it in to PSA was a little higher than sending it to SGC.

Get the card graded, it's Babe Ruth. Grading will verify that the card has not been tampered with as well as authentication and protection for the card. PSA or Beckett vintage, there's nothing wrong with Beckett , compare the price and use the one that best fits your budget. Both of these services are reputable and would eliminate any problems of authenticity should you ever decide to sell it. Any high value vintage card of mine gets graded, if not graded when I get it.

(11-01-2012, 11:14 AM)MRHARPER Wrote: Yeah it would take a hefty offer to get it from me, especially once it gets graded. I know PSA has had its trouble with its credibility in recent months, but it also seems that its still the preffered grading service as far as vintage cards. I do agree that the SGC slabs look better, and in terms of the card itself being graded by either it seems like there is no difference in value of the card. The only major difference I saw was the price of sending it in to PSA was a little higher than sending it to SGC.
These are the two that I recommend you decide between and, if it's for your PC, then you've already hit on the two things that I think should dictate your decision. One of course being the cost to you and the second being how the card presents to you in the holder.

Both PSA and SGC are the two grading companies well associated with vintage cards, though SGC does tend to be more known for pre-war. I don't know if it matters or not but I don't think it would hurt to check the population reports of the three main grading companies to see how many of this card they have graded in the past. My own belief is that the more they have graded, the more experience they likely have with the card issue and can potentially have a more accurate grade as well as authentication.

I tried to look them all up but SGC's population report wasn't working at the time I typed this out though this may be because they are in the process of moving to another facility. PSA has graded the Ruth 770 times and BVG has graded it 100 times. Obviously there will be instances of the same card being graded multiple times so I wouldn't use these numbers as precise figures.

In any event, keep us informed of your decision and how it comes back!

SGC is moving!
there site is down for a bit.
I sent some cards in for grading, and hoping its work out.
Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep you posted on how it comes back.