`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ebay issue ?

RE: Ebay issue ?
(10-17-2012, 09:26 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: Isn't that just symantec's? Its the same price either way.

5.99 buy it now
2.50 shipping

8.49 buy it now
Free shipping

I know when i look at an auction I see it for the total cost....whats shipping, whats card price and add them together. I dont say well this ones free shipping so I'll buy it for 8 dollars rather than the one that is 5 dollars and 3 dollar. I dont think anyone is fooled by that.

The only differance I see is that you remove the ability to argue for combined shipping. I find it to be a game of perception and nothing more.
Totally, but if he's worked up about shipping costs, it looks better to him this way.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(10-17-2012, 09:46 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: Now that you put it that way....I'll make more money and the winners wont get any discount. LOL ! and that somehow makes me a better seller in someones eyes ROFL.
It's not that it makes you a "better" seller, but it could potentially make your life easier on ebay which is very well known to be in the buyer's favor. Hang around the boards long enough (here or elsewhere) and you're going to see people pop up and complain about s/h charges. People will ding the stars on ebay for that stuff. If you just tack the s/h charges into your listing price anyway and charge free shipping, they cannot ding your stars in that category at all. AND, since they all have free shipping, you won't get questions from people about it unless someone wants to know how you package the cards I guess. So, in the end, you still get the money you wanted and don't have to worry about possible buyers messaging you.

(10-17-2012, 09:46 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: I guess I'm just a wiser buyer because I would see through that and personally buy from someone else. But hey, if that makes other buyers happy I'll give it a swing next time I have some cards to put up for auction.
(10-17-2012, 09:26 AM)phillihp23 Wrote: I know when i look at an auction I see it for the total cost....whats shipping, whats card price and add them together. I dont say well this ones free shipping so I'll buy it for 8 dollars rather than the one that is 5 dollars and 3 dollar. I dont think anyone is fooled by that.
You'll see many people that also do this but you'll also see quite a few that don't. The only thing you're not able to do as a buyer is ding the seller on s/h charges. And I do fully believe that people get fooled by it. Something about the word "free" gets to people. Well, anything that sounds like you're getting something actually.

Take a look at the department store JCPenney. They always had sales going and did well. Then, 6 months ago (?), they ditched all sales completely and immediately labeled everything at their lowest price. So, no more ads for sales (15-50% off type stuff), and their stock fell. Coincidence? They were still advertising after all. It's the idea that people are getting something for free/at a discount.
http://ir.jcpenney.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=7...stockquote

Sounds to me like you may have lost the sale because you would not give a straight answer to his question.

I have been a seller on the bay since around 2000 and when I am listing singles and small lots, I always list the combined charges in my listings. Currently I am selling all sorts of sizes of sets and let the potential buyers know the types of shipping I use and if they have a question about the shipping charges of specific sets, to let me know.

The catch that I see is the use of auto pay for a buyer going the buy it now route. The main drawback of using that is that it does not allow you to combine shipping charges for the buyer if they want more than 1 item. Hence the question from the potential buyer. I do understand that you get a guaranteed payer using it. But you may lose the same buyer by not giving a reduction. The question the buyer faces is "is it worth it" when there are many options out there?

What if the potential buyer put in the minimum bid in on the cards he wanted and won them at that price? You would have to send an invoice at that time. What would you charge for shipping for the cards? That is all the buyer wanted to hear up front.

If you were to raise your prices to cover your shipping as was suggested, then the buyer has only one decision, whether to buy the card or not. Just remember that not everyone looks at shipping charges in deciding when to purchase something. They should but they don't. By keeping your prices w/o shipping where they are, you may entice those buyers to pick something up because they see a better deal.

My .02
Collecting Doug Waechter (118/149), Jared Sandberg (107/125), 1994-95 BB Michael Jordan (69/89), 1977-1997 Eddie Murray (877/943), and Bo Jackson BB/FB 1986-1995 (447/486), 2007 Fleer Mini Gold (126/370). Only completing trades with something on my lists.

(10-17-2012, 03:12 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I it could potentially make your life easier on ebay which is very well known to be in the buyer's favor.

Hang around the boards long enough (here or elsewhere) and you're going to see people pop up and complain about s/h charges.

AND, since they all have free shipping, you won't get questions from people about it unless someone wants to know how you package the cards I guess. So, in the end, you still get the money you wanted and don't have to worry about possible buyers messaging you.

Something about the word "free" gets to people. Well, anything that sounds like you're getting something actually.

Take a look at the department store JCPenney. They always had sales going and did well. Then, 6 months ago (?), they ditched all sales completely and immediately labeled everything at their lowest price. So, no more ads for sales (15-50% off type stuff), and their stock fell. Coincidence? They were still advertising after all. It's the idea that people are getting something for free/at a discount.
http://ir.jcpenney.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=7...stockquote
Some good thoughts in regard to the human psychy and marketing.

Many good points in regard to the human psychy and sales pitches.
(10-17-2012, 03:40 PM)kesscards Wrote: Sounds to me like you may have lost the sale because you would not give a straight answer to his question.

My .02

Actually after the rant concluded he proceeded to bid on 6 off my cards.