`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to start a 1972 Topps set from scratch

Looking to start a 1972 Topps set from scratch
I'm a team set collector and decided I want to complete a set from the 70's. Picking 1972 because I think that was the year I bought my first pack of cards which are now long gone. I have a question for the vintage set builders. What is or are the most important factors you use when choosing a card for your set? For example corners, centering, etc. Thanks for any info.

Mike
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

RE: Looking to start a 1972 Topps set from scratch
If you decide that your doing this set I have 645 doubles and triples that are extra for my 72 set if interested LMK
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

I like to put my sets in albums so eye appeal is very important to me. I can handle some corner wear, slight dings and/or a few surface wrinkles or very light creases. What I will not buy or trade for are cards that are off-register, more than 70/30 off-center, diamond-cut, or heavy creasing.

I try to get something that would at least get a Beckett 7.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Good color/sharp image, 70/30 min centering after that edges and corners. Back is not an issue unless they where previously glued down. Look for HOF cards with stats circled - they go for next to nothing because they dont grade high.
'72's a nice set, but the last two series are a bear - I stopped at about 85% - with most stars - couldent rationalize the price for hi series commons.
Good Luck