`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pujols rethinking move to LA?

RE: Pujols rethinking move to LA?
Considering he plays in Orange County, he better rethink. Those dumb Angels don't play in LA. They are just trying to hang on to the past. Pujols will be fine.

Jeter is one of the best players on the team right now, current performance wise.....
Super-Collector of Bernie Williams

Photobucket

I could be totally wrong here, but Albert Pukols never really struck me as the kind of guy who cared about being the "face of the franchise." To me, he seemed like a great player who worked hard and didn't really care as much about the glory as a lot of other guys. I'm sure he appreciates recognition as much as any of us would, and he'd be crazy to turn down the money he was offered, but I just never saw him as caring about being the face of a franchise, even though he seemed to handle that role pretty well in St. Louis. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Just an opinion.
Collect Kirk Gibson (Tigers), Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Jack Morris (Tigers), Lance Parrish (Tigers), Sparky Anderson (Tigers), Tom Brookens (Tigers), as well as earlier Tigers greats like Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton,etc.

Pujols who?

Let's go Cardinals! 12 in 12!
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

(10-07-2012, 03:16 PM)mseward Wrote: I could be totally wrong here, but Albert Pukols never really struck me as the kind of guy who cared about being the "face of the franchise." To me, he seemed like a great player who worked hard and didn't really care as much about the glory as a lot of other guys. I'm sure he appreciates recognition as much as any of us would, and he'd be crazy to turn down the money he was offered, but I just never saw him as caring about being the face of a franchise, even though he seemed to handle that role pretty well in St. Louis. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Just an opinion.

I'm not sure that he sought to become the face of the franchise, but I think it's something he embraced. He always expressed a deep respect for those who played the game before him (especially STL legends) and seemed to have a grasp on where he stood in that lineage. He eschewed the nickname "El Hombre" out of respect to Stan "the Man" Musial.

Even if being the "face of the franchise" isn't important to him, I don't see what he possibly could've gained, personally or professionally, from moving to California. It's hard to believe a few million bucks would make any difference to him. (And sports economists could probably make a pretty strong case that Pujols stood to make more money in the long run, aside from salary, by remaining a Cardinal for life). The Cardinals could've even added in a 20 year "personal services" contract to commence after his playing career ends for $2m per.

Sure, the AL has the DH, which ultimately could help extend his productivity, but I don't see AP volunteering to be DH anytime soon. It's not like he left a sinking franchise to go to a WS contender either.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Well said. Definitely see your point. Tigers fans are smart! Smile

(10-07-2012, 03:36 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I'm not sure that he sought to become the face of the franchise, but I think it's something he embraced. He always expressed a deep respect for those who played the game before him (especially STL legends) and seemed to have a grasp on where he stood in that lineage. He eschewed the nickname "El Hombre" out of respect to Stan "the Man" Musial.

Even if being the "face of the franchise" isn't important to him, I don't see what he possibly could've gained, personally or professionally, from moving to California. It's hard to believe a few million bucks would make any difference to him. (And sports economists could probably make a pretty strong case that Pujols stood to make more money in the long run, aside from salary, by remaining a Cardinal for life). The Cardinals could've even added in a 20 year "personal services" contract to commence after his playing career ends for $2m per.

Sure, the AL has the DH, which ultimately could help extend his productivity, but I don't see AP volunteering to be DH anytime soon. It's not like he left a sinking franchise to go to a WS contender either.
Collect Kirk Gibson (Tigers), Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammell, Jack Morris (Tigers), Lance Parrish (Tigers), Sparky Anderson (Tigers), Tom Brookens (Tigers), as well as earlier Tigers greats like Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton,etc.

This thread hould be titled pujols rerhinking move to L.A. of Anaheim. lol thats always sounded dumb to me.
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331

He and CJ Wilson deserve to sit home and watch the playoffs. The owners of the Angels deserve to watch their team fail. When you spend that kind of ridiculous money and pin in on hopes of making it to the post season perhaps a decent arm would have been better for them. CJ can't pitch to save his life because he's more interested in racing.
[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]

(10-06-2012, 11:16 PM)chasescardcave Wrote: I agree he should have retired with the cards. Just like chipper is retiring with the same team he started with. Not a sellout like teixeira, sabathia, OR FREAKING ICHIRO lol idk what ichiro was thinking.
You do know that Cleveland TRADED Sabathia to the Brewers, Texas TRADED Mark Teixeira to the Braves and Seattle TRADED Ichiro Suzuki to the Yankees?

XX

He's not rethinking anything, he got the money and that's what he wanted.
(10-08-2012, 12:04 PM)sportscardtheory Wrote: You do know that Cleveland TRADED Sabathia to the Brewers, Texas TRADED Mark Teixeira to the Braves and Seattle TRADED Ichiro Suzuki to the Yankees?
Those players were traded because their teams knew they didn't have the $$ to re sign those players....they all signed for the $$ as soon as they had the chance.
[Image: 374.gif][Image: 1337.gif]