Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Opinion on 2011-12 Retro. Buy or no?

Opinion on 2011-12 Retro. Buy or no?
Hello all,

After watching eBay go nuts over the 2011-12 fleer retro cards and boxes I am trying to rationalize whether buying a box is a good idea. Obviously opening boxes is a huge gamble any way you look at it, but $500+ is a lot for one box where you are basically hoping for a LeBron or MJ to salvage the price.

Any thoughts out there? Worth it, not worth, buy a mini-box?

Thanks in advance!
Always willing to trade for Dwyane Wade/Alonzo Mourning Cards

RE: Opinion on 2011-12 Retro. Buy or no?
I would say it's not worth it. I only bought one box but didn't even recover half of what I put into it. At the same time though, had I pulled a single Jordan insert particularly a PMG or auto, I would be saying the exact opposite. I did pull a Lebron 61-62 insert one per case valued at $60 and PMG red Darrell Griffith valued at $50, but that was pretty much it. SO I guess it would be worth it if you pull a Lebron or Jordan, but if not your pretty much screwed unless you pull a couple of the other nice autos but even still your probably not looking at getting you money back out of it. My opinion, hope it helps.
On a side note, if these boxes had remained at their original $300 it would definitely been worth it to buy one or two. $500 to much for the risk unless you really have money like that to lose.

I just asked the same question last week. After researching it I would say its not worth the risk. I am more of a vintage and 80's guy so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you are really into modern stuff.

I see boxes going for $500-600 here in NYC and the temptation to rip for an MJ is high but after watching about 20 rips on youtube i get the feeling there is a lot of junk in these. I was going to buy a box and instead loaded up on vintage packs/boxes. Again always a gamble but I can rationalize buying 80-81 topps for $45/pack going after a Bird/Magic RC (4 packs, no luck, LAME) but not $550 on a box looking for a PMG MJ that is more than likely not there and only valuable due to manufactured scarcity.

Just my two cents.

Ur right buy singles that what I am doing
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

Nothing about this product really excites me. Well nothing about any products has really excited me in awhile. Thats why I havent busted a hobby box in years, I follow alstott9adams' advice to the bank.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

(09-27-2012, 10:26 AM)crimedawg47 Wrote: Nothing about this product really excites me. Well nothing about any products has really excited me in awhile. Thats why I havent busted a hobby box in years, I follow alstott9adams' advice to the bank.
Yeah but you keep saying you're going to at least pick up an old school box or two from time to time but you never do! That level of discipline- even if you're buying singles instead- is impressive.

I, however, don't have that discipline, I keep sniping old school boxes with lower-than-they-usually-go-for bids, so I have a 98-99 Finest box coming to me by early next week Smile Keep your fingers crossed for an MJ refractor or two!
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(09-27-2012, 11:20 AM)buckunteer Wrote: Yeah but you keep saying you're going to at least pick up an old school box or two from time to time but you never do! That level of discipline- even if you're buying singles instead- is impressive.

I, however, don't have that discipline, I keep sniping old school boxes with lower-than-they-usually-go-for bids, so I have a 98-99 Finest box coming to me by early next week Smile Keep your fingers crossed for an MJ refractor or two!
Kemp/Payton/Kobe as well...Ok i feel like we are jacking this thread i will stop now.
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

I appreciate the responses. This makes me feel a lot better about waiting this out and just searching out the singles on eBay. Does anybody believe the price on these will hold? I see the greens going on eBay for over $1000!!!!!! Granted a MJ or LeBron will fetch that, but a Steve Nash green pmg for $1800?!?!?! Seems a little crazy.
Always willing to trade for Dwyane Wade/Alonzo Mourning Cards

Boxes are inflated.. Don't buy!! Only people making money are dealers & online powersellers.. average collector will lose money, unless pulling an A-STAR player or a PMG...

I like the designs, but that's about it. I don't like the high cost of a box!
I do not like that UD used the same photos for different inserts within the same product!! That is just plain lazy!! Black & white photos don't do justice to players that played the game after 1985...

I can't believe a MJ Jambalaya RETRO is selling more than the 2006-07 version!!!

Non-auto cards going for a $1,000 & there are print runs of 50 & 150... forget that!!

better to pick up a few singles when you can!! but, I believe prices will drop at the end of next basketball season!! boxes will probably stay where they are or increase, but singles will drop!! especially sticker autos...

college uniforms?? People are nuts for buying them!!!

RETRO is too much a gamble!!
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

exquisite should be a fun break, if you are rich.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]