`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Did I miss something?

Did I miss something?
2011-12 PMGs. I absolutely don't get it.

The reason the 97-98 ones sell so high is because it was the first time (or at least one of the first) a set was numbered so low. Of course it didn't hurt that they looked pretty cool too.

The new ones, of course, look great as well, except the hobby's been inundated with low-numbered parallels for years. You could get at least 6 low-numbered Bill Russell autos for the price that his PMG/10 went for.

It's just a low-numbered insert people, why all the fuss??

I say again, I absolutely don't get it.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

RE: Did I miss something?
I feel the same way. I was wondering if I was the only one by how the prices have gone nuts.

I get why UD made these cards and why some people love them (First time PMG's for Lebron and other guys, as well as how the 90's inserts have been selling) but the prices are just to insane.

#1 I really don't like college uniforms
#2 Black and White photos throws me off a little
#3 They have different numbering system for the 3 colors (I liked how 90's PMG were the first 10 numbered in the set...not sure why)
#4 UD has been using the same photos for some time now.

Don’t get me wrong. I would LOVE to have a 2012 PMG MJ! But when I look at how much they are going for…All I can think is how many HIGH value 90’s inserts I could get for just one of those cards.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

RETRO = market speculators and opportunists...plain and simple

A lot of people are buying this product at inflated prices because they "think" that retro may some day be worth as much as the originals...
They are simply trying to secure cards that might be sort after in the future....
In my opinion, this product will drop in price dramatically, with an exception of a few players like lebron,jordan and few cards that ''might" hold value like the PMG Green,Blue possibly Red maybe even showcase /150....Of course 1/1 buybacks auto's are in a different league.
All of the above cards could be worth holding onto, BUT only at realistic prices....
From what i have seen, RETRO is selling above Market value on some of the originals, now that is just crazy!
So,
I believe the cards right now are EXTREMELY over priced.
Its going to be a very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong investment in some of these cards and i would think it will take many years before people could see good returns.

When the hype dies down and the bubble busts, thats when you will see the true value of RETRO.

I'm NOT saying everyone is buying just to sell, but too many people are and that forces the people buying for there PC's too over pay...

I think RETRO is great for the hobby and will get a lot of people interested again.
Thats my opinion anyway, i don't think i'm too far off....
Gary.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

PMG's in general are overrated in my opinion, yes even the originals. I grew up as a kid collecting cards during the 90's and nobody my age was freakin out about PMG's... Sure they were nice & the greens especially were crazy rare... But take value of today's market away and ask yourself... What would you rather have in your PC... a pmg of your favorite player.. or a 97-98 autographed game jersey or OG auto graphics? Or even some other awesome looking 90's insert? PMG's are so "cool" and insanely valuable now all of the sudden, but be honest... They're average & ugly looking cards that don't measure up to so many other better designed inserts from that time!

I'll even say this... The base card of the Metal product were nicer looking then the ugly ALL red or ALL green PMG's!!! Yeah I said it Smile

So you're not missing anything but hype !

(09-27-2012, 09:35 AM)bengu Wrote: So you're not missing anything but hype !
and guaranteed profits if you would have bought in at pre-sell Wink
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

Everybody is trying to make a quick profit.. those that prebought are making thousands of dollars.... while those that are buying singles at high prices are going to be screwed...

I don't understand how the MJ Jambalaya RETRO is selling so high, when the 2nd one (E-X 06-07) doesn't sell...?? The first one always sells good... 2nd one, seems like it's a bump in the road.. some sell good, while others don't sell or sell cheap..... then there are those that try to "up the price" ... pretending that one of their friends bid the card high, but then didn't pay... no "non payment claim" was submitted, they simply cancelled the transaction & relisted.. hoping that somebody else will bid that high & actually pay the high costs....

this has happen with a lot of different cards.. I see it happening with Elite Black & Retro right now...

WHAT are people actually paying for?
I know it's not the picture on the card, since UD uses the same pictures for all there cards.... I believe people are paying for the design & player's name... not the picture... they can care less what picture is on the piece of cardboard.... I think it is hysterical..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*