`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do people insist on using PWE?

Why do people insist on using PWE?
I did a trade the other day, no it was not high end but that isn't the point, and it arrived in the mail to my house in a PWE. The card was not damaged and I have left notice of his shipping tendencies in his feedback so I won't call him out in the thread (so don't ask).

This is mainly to let any new traders on this site know that this is not an accepted practice and please follow the same courtesy that I do with the cards coming your way.

In case you don't know it includes penny sleeve, top loader, team bag, and bubble mailer. There are few instances where this cannot happen like when send bulk amounts but other precautions can and are made to ensure card safety.

Sorry for the vent but I had to get it out and all I hear from my wife is who cares the card arrived ok. She doesn't understand that has it not arrived fine I would have been pissed.

RE: Why do people insist on using PWE?
I know it's an unpopular opinion - but I agree with your wife. Why spend time/effort worrying about what might have been.

That's not to say that I would ever send a card in a PWE without discussing it prior to accepting the trade (I wouldn't)

That's not to say I would ever encourage someone to send in a PWE without discussing it prior to accepting the trade (I wouldn't)

But ultimately - my opinion is - did you trade for the card or the envelope?

My opinion changes slightly for sales - where you are paying additional monies for shipping - but in a trade, regardless of whether the trader sends in a PWE or a stainless steel safe, he/she is going to be responsible for making it up to you if the card is damaged via shipping. It's his/her own neck that they're putting on the line using a sub-standard shipping method - not yours.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

I think that it depends on the trader. I try to clarify what methods I am using and communicate what I expect in return.

I have never, ever received a damaged card from a PWE in a top loader. If I am trading an $8 single for an $8 single it must be PWE for me to do the trade. It is just not logical to pay for shipping IMO. If I'm spending $2-$2.50 on shipping I'd rather keep my single and hawk one off eBay for $3.50 or less.

But again, I communicate that to traders ahead of time.
PC Players: Alex Bregman and Christian Yelich. Looking for any and every I don't have.
Other Players: Luis Ortiz Jr., Rowdy Tellez, Touki Toussaint

I have done over 800 trades here. I have NEVER sent PWE unless I previously asked the trader. There are a few times I have simply said "I can't do this trade because of value unless you wanna do PWE." in general though without discussion this is unacceptable. I think knocking the feedback is a little rough too though, especially on a new trader. Next time you may consider messaging and letting them know it is a frowned upon practice so they a learn to fix it in the future.

It's much more frustrating getting cards I paid shipping for on eBay that way. I nice received a 1/1 I bought in a PWE. Now that's something to be ticked about for sure. It is irreplaceable.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

i like to keep it simple all my trades go out in a bubble mailer never pwe.
[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]

I like the idea of any single card under $8 is PWE. I typically do single cards under $5 in PWE. But I always ask the other trader first beforehand.

The only PWE trades I have done involved talking about it before the trade was accepted. If both traders don't agree to it, then I either won't do the trade or try and up the value a bit to make it worth the $2.50ish shipping.

If I pay $3 for shipping on ebay and get it in a PWE, I am ticked off. It has happened quite a few times and each time the stars are bumped and a mention of it is made in the feedback spot. I just hate when someone does that.

Along dbrookerd story, I had a guy mail a 1/1 printing plate of my PC (Jenkins) in a 50-point toploader in a bubble mailer with no tape on the top loader, no team bag, no penny sleeve, nothing. The card was halfway out of the case when I got it. I was charged $4 for shipping and I was furious. I left him a neutral for it.

ok ok ok..

Lets say you are using a plain white envelope... how do you pack it? just a top loader with it taped up top?

Today I had about two 30$ trades to send out so I used my bubble mailers and made sure they were secure. I do not do base card for base card because of the fact it is $2.80 to mail out and just like you said Petillo, you can get it off ebay for cheaper
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

(09-19-2012, 02:38 PM)stera8 Wrote: ok ok ok..

Lets say you are using a plain white envelope... how do you pack it? just a top loader with it taped up top?

Today I had about two 30$ trades to send out so I used my bubble mailers and made sure they were secure. I do not do base card for base card because of the fact it is $2.80 to mail out and just like you said Petillo, you can get it off ebay for cheaper
I put the card in a penny sleeve and toploader and tape the toploader (so far it's just like all of my other transactions). But in a PWE deal, I tape the toploader to a sheet of paper so the thing doesn't move around.

Just FYI, on all of my low-end sells on ebay ($3-$5 and under), I don't charge anything for shipping and use the same method.

I've been using pwe for single cards in a trade on occassion two cards if they are in one toploader, then they have cardboard put in the teambag with them to reenforce the protection. I've been doing this to save on shipping as its,nearly two bucks to ship a card in a bubble mailer. I honestly don't see the issue with the additional packing steps I take. If someone was throwing the cards in there with zero protection I could understand. Conversly I've had single cards sent to me in a bubble envelope that were simply tossed in a top loader and dumped in the bubble mailer and thus all kinds of beat up. It's a matter of how you package it inside.
Is this thing on?

(09-19-2012, 03:02 PM)shivelycore Wrote: I've been using pwe for single cards in a trade on occassion two cards if they are in one toploader, then they have cardboard put in the teambag with them to reenforce the protection. I've been doing this to save on shipping as its,nearly two bucks to ship a card in a bubble mailer. I honestly don't see the issue with the additional packing steps I take. If someone was throwing the cards in there with zero protection I could understand. Conversly I've had single cards sent to me in a bubble envelope that were simply tossed in a top loader and dumped in the bubble mailer and thus all kinds of beat up. It's a matter of how you package it inside.
Because cards sent in PWE are machine sorted. Cards shipped in bubble mailers that are 3/4 inch thick are hand sorted. If you've ever seen a machine sorter at work you definitely wouldn't want to put a card through it. They go through rollers which bend the card and if its too rigid it gets stuck and chewed up. Use paypal shipping and you can ship in a bubble mailer with DC for like $1.64.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.