`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Need advice

RE: Need advice
IMO I think you should go after the rarest cards first and give the seller a very fair offer. And maybe as you get to a lower overall total of cards (most being cheap) give a group offer. So the seller get the money for the high end stuff and then you get a good deal on the bulk thats left over. So in the end it evens out
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

If you remove every card that has print run lower then 150 what kind of BV % should she pay I think that is what she is asking for help with. Just like the BigBoyd Auction was blind, so is this that's why I say not 1% over 10%-12% when dropping $1,000.

Based on a $10 average I would assume the lot consist of cards like

1999 E-X Century Bright Lights Orange #5BL which book for over $19.95

and not cards like

1999 E-X Century Essential Credentials Now #18 Steve Young which book for over $119.95.

No auto's, jersey's or 1/1's and spending $1000 for nearly 800 different cards it better book for $7000-$10,000.

Until I see the list of Rubies, Essential Credentials, Slideshows, Mirror Golds, PMGs, Precious Metals, Ultra Platinum and Legacy cards. My price is very firm.
- Collecting Navorro Bowman - http://tinyurl.com/bowmancollection
Total Cards = (236/349) 67%
Auto 59/83 Jersey 4/4

Wow guys! Thanks for the great input.
Chad, I never even thought of doing something like that. Thanks for that point of view.
Warcraftin, I see where you are coming from, too.
I have some thinkin to do lol
Currently trying to build 2010 Gridiron Kings
I collect Steve Young, Manny Lawson, Roger Craig and most things Niners.

(09-16-2012, 12:33 AM)warcraftin Wrote: If you remove every card that has print run lower then 150 what kind of BV % should she pay I think that is what she is asking for help with. Just like the BigBoyd Auction was blind, so is this that's why I say not 1% over 10%-12% when dropping $1,000.

Based on a $10 average I would assume the lot consist of cards like

1999 E-X Century Bright Lights Orange #5BL which book for over $19.95

and not cards like

1999 E-X Century Essential Credentials Now #18 Steve Young which book for over $119.95.

No auto's, jersey's or 1/1's and spending $1000 for nearly 800 different cards it better book for $7000-$10,000.

Until I see the list of Rubies, Essential Credentials, Slideshows, Mirror Golds, PMGs, Precious Metals, Ultra Platinum and Legacy cards. My price is very firm.
warcraftin knows his sheet...Mary Ann listen to him please
Smile
2007 FotG NFL Prime 130/133
2009 FotG NFL Prime 66/90
2010 FotG NFL Prime 103/103
DONE
http://s877.photobucket.com/user/sto66/l...ECUT%20SET
2011 Playbook Prime 68/95

(09-14-2012, 12:42 PM)all day baby Wrote: My first, and only, opinion is 25%
With the way things are today. WHY would someone sell at 25% when TOUGH items from the 90's sell for decent prices for top players now a days for more on the bay...
(09-14-2012, 09:52 AM)koolkellygirl Wrote: Hmmm...I'm not sure, but I would think that somewhere in the 50% for the *better* cards and maybe much less for the typical base or common...I hate to pay a lot myself and have gotten some good deals on my Faulk cards-usually when I buy them I get them around 30% and a bit lower...
hey, when are we going to a Niners game? Wink

I'm going to go with koolkelley on this. 50% for the HARD 2 FIND Young cards

(09-16-2012, 11:22 AM)thelegendjerryrice Wrote: With the way things are today. WHY would someone sell at 25% when TOUGH items from the 90's sell for decent prices for top players now a days for more on the bay...

I'm going to go with koolkelley on this. 50% for the HARD 2 FIND Young cards
Someone would sell because on ebay sometimes they only get about 20% before the fees.

Deals are had on ebay Sept 14, 2012 $11 for a $50 - $62.50 BV card. SN#/25 1997 Playoff Contenders Red. Why would you pay your guy $30 for it if it's on ebay for $11 and your giving him even more business. Seems to me like you would be getting the business. That's all I am trying to prevent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-Young-1997...27cadc9ccd

In the end it comes down to pay whatever you can afford, but you should be looking for a deal that is consistent of what the market would pay for the amount of money you are spending. I don't see why you have to pay a premium just because.....you actually collect the cards.

If the guy no longer wants anything to do with his collection you are doing him a great service by offering to take such a large chunk of cards from him. The amount of time he is saving is his true savings.

This my last attempt to determine fair market value on this collection with the information available. Real #'s, real %'s, real opinionated facts .
Here is the true real world "Arithmetic" as Bill Clinton would say.

If he took his collection to real card buyer they would offer 55%-60% of what it sells for on ebay and they would say ebay normally gets 15%-20% therefore his $7,800 x .18 x .60 would net him $842.40.

If he wants to list every card individually on ebay he would get roughly 18% on average. After deducting the 12% for ebay and paypal fees he gets $1,235.52 for his 800 cards.

So now what did it cost him to sell on ebay. Assuming he lists 15 cards per hour (scan, list, description, get book value etc.) It would take him 53 hours to do that. Assuming he pays himself minimum wage $8 an hour that is $424 for listing. He is now at $811.52 but he needs to now ship the cards and package them..............even if thats only 30 hours which is grossly underestimated he now has $571.52. If he has a job making $25 an hour which is common in the bay area. He lost money selling his cards.

Or he can get lazy and do just one large listing notating its a collection of 800 cards and listing the top booking 100 cards and get 10% which would be $780 minus the ebay fees. He is now at $686.40 for his collection. He would probably have to itemize all 800 in the listing to get that 10% though.

Or he can sell you for $1000 cash in pocket you save him time, and he saves you time. He is getting a little more money.

Paying him $3,900 cash is not reasonable.
Unless 1 in every 4 cards is an auto, or SN# /50 or less, or jersey card. But with an average of $10 per card not very likely.

If he doesn't go for it like the others said just pull out the rare ones I would classify those as cards with a print run of 150 or less do a separate deal on them.

If a Steve Young card doesn't book for over $40 you shouldn't be paying anywhere close to 50% book on it for the amount of cards you are looking to acquire.
Total Cards = (236/349) 67%
Auto 59/83 Jersey 4/4

(09-16-2012, 12:54 PM)warcraftin Wrote: Someone would sell because on ebay sometimes they only get about 20% before the fees.

Deals are had on ebay Sept 14, 2012 $11 for a $50 - $62.50 BV card. SN#/25 1997 Playoff Contenders Red. Why would you pay your guy $30 for it if it's on ebay for $11 and your giving him even more business. Seems to me like you would be getting the business. That's all I am trying to prevent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-Young-1997...27cadc9ccd

In the end it comes down to pay whatever you can afford, but you should be looking for a deal that is consistent of what the market would pay for the amount of money you are spending. I don't see why you have to pay a premium just because.....you actually collect the cards.

If the guy no longer wants anything to do with his collection you are doing him a great service by offering to take such a large chunk of cards from him. The amount of time he is saving is his true savings.

This my last attempt to determine fair market value on this collection with the information available. Real #'s, real %'s, real opinionated facts .
Here is the true real world "Arithmetic" as Bill Clinton would say.

If he took his collection to real card buyer they would offer 55%-60% of what it sells for on ebay and they would say ebay normally gets 15%-20% therefore his $7,800 x .18 x .60 would net him $842.40.

If he wants to list every card individually on ebay he would get roughly 18% on average. After deducting the 12% for ebay and paypal fees he gets $1,235.52 for his 800 cards.

So now what did it cost him to sell on ebay. Assuming he lists 15 cards per hour (scan, list, description, get book value etc.) It would take him 53 hours to do that. Assuming he pays himself minimum wage $8 an hour that is $424 for listing. He is now at $811.52 but he needs to now ship the cards and package them..............even if thats only 30 hours which is grossly underestimated he now has $571.52. If he has a job making $25 an hour which is common in the bay area. He lost money selling his cards.

Or he can get lazy and do just one large listing notating its a collection of 800 cards and listing the top booking 100 cards and get 10% which would be $780 minus the ebay fees. He is now at $686.40 for his collection. He would probably have to itemize all 800 in the listing to get that 10% though.

Or he can sell you for $1000 cash in pocket you save him time, and he saves you time. He is getting a little more money.

Paying him $3,900 cash is not reasonable.
Unless 1 in every 4 cards is an auto, or SN# /50 or less, or jersey card. But with an average of $10 per card not very likely.

If he doesn't go for it like the others said just pull out the rare ones I would classify those as cards with a print run of 150 or less do a separate deal on them.

If a Steve Young card doesn't book for over $40 you shouldn't be paying anywhere close to 50% book on it for the amount of cards you are looking to acquire.
I agree with the fact 50% on the entire lot is unreasonable. The issues I have are an assumed discount because someone who resells are the only potential buyers.
Having purchased many lots many times of cards of various degrees of scarcity, it truly is a discussion that cannot be resumed due to the lack of knowledge of the cards. I still think the average of 1.40 per card would be insulting in this scenario. Best of luck with your purchase.

(09-16-2012, 09:25 AM)chibearsboy Wrote: warcraftin knows his sheet...Mary Ann listen to him please
Smile
He also is disageeing with Marinocollector, so I want to co-sign, because rather than being a man, I delete PM's when I have an issue with someone rather than discussing how I misunderstood a post.
Nice.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(09-16-2012, 06:27 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: I agree with the fact 50% on the entire lot is unreasonable. The issues I have are an assumed discount because someone who resells are the only potential buyers.
Again, I think the only other potential buyers will pay 18% as an average on the entire lot pieced out individually. I have explained those cost previously.

I live in the Bay Area and I have a fair understanding of what sells locally. I understand the 49ers have a huge variety of collectible players. Steve Young is in the middle of the list not at the very top so the opportunity for deep discounts are plentiful. Especially in this economy.

Who is the largest buyer of sports cards? Check below and see what they will pay. Not an offer anyone would probably agree with.

Try checking with a local LCS in the bay area. If it's not a USFL or Jersey patch auto then it needs to be under 5% book for them to even consider looking at the cards. Or you will get a sorry we are not currently buying those type of cards. Check back in the future.

Quoting Burbank Sportscards

"we stock the industry's largest selection of premium modern singles and we're aggressive buyers of your bulk inserts, parallels, game used etc. The buys below are based on the attributes of the cards to make things as easy as possible. Prices fluctuate up and down so check back often.The below cards are only for 1996 to present !! Price We Pay Per Card

Serial Numbered Inserts, Parallels,Rookies and Shortprints 0.17
Serial Numbered Base Cards (No 1998 Topps Stars) 0.12
Non Numbered Inserts 0.04
Non Numbered Parallels 0.03
Serial Numbered Game Used Materials (NFL Only) 0.95
Non Numbered Game Used Materials (NFL Only) 0.70
Serial Numbered Certified Autographs (NFL Only) 0.95
Non Numbered Certified Autographs (NFL Only) 0.70
College Game Used Materials 0.85
College Certified Autographs 0.70
Non Numbered Refractors 0.12