`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
86 fleer jordan PSA vs BGS

RE: 86 fleer jordan PSA vs BGS
People must remember...a PSA 10 is Gem Mint = BGS 9.5 Gem Mint. BGS has the 10 Pristine grade, PSA doesn't have a Pristine grade.

I honestly prefer PSA... I understand the slab is not as strong as the BGS... But, it looks sexier in my opinion, especially for the MJ Rookie Card. I owned a BGS 8.5 and sold it to purchase a PSA 9 or 10; I purchased the PSA 9 b/c the PSA 10's are going for well over the 10k mark.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I used to own a PSA 9 as well and loved it! I agree that, while I still prefer BGS, that the Jordan RC looks awesome in a PSA case! Probably for the obvious reason that the red on the case blends in with the '86 Fleer cards! Idk why exactly the PSA 10's have all of the sudden skyrocketed past the BGS 9.5's? My only guess is people are hoping the PSA 10's could possibly crossover to BGS 10 since 2/4 did that!

I use PSA for my vintage baseball and any pre Star Basketball because it is widely regarded as the industry standard and most desirable slab/grading service for those types of cards.

BGS is the only company grading Star Co cards so there is no other choice there. 86 Fleer and later I stick with BGS. I feel the presentation is WAY nicer and I like the subgrade feature. There are so many modern issues floating around that I find it nice to have subgrades to differentiate. I also think the PSA Registry inflates the price of some of these cards due to the competition to have the best set. I have an 8.5 BGS Jordan with 9 centering that stacks up to most PSA 9s all day long.

[Image: 86MJ.jpg]

BGS is just tougher on grades for the Modern stuff IMO.

At the end of the day, its truly a matter of preference though. Either way, an 86 MJ, well centered in either slab is a lights out card and a must have in any collection.

(08-31-2012, 10:26 AM)user_3n5kp Wrote: I use PSA for my vintage baseball and any pre Star Basketball because it is widely regarded as the industry standard and most desirable slab/grading service for those types of cards.

BGS is the only company grading Star Co cards so there is no other choice there. 86 Fleer and later I stick with BGS. I feel the presentation is WAY nicer and I like the subgrade feature. There are so many modern issues floating around that I find it nice to have subgrades to differentiate. I also think the PSA Registry inflates the price of some of these cards due to the competition to have the best set. I have an 8.5 BGS Jordan with 9 centering that stacks up to most PSA 9s all day long.

[Image: 86MJ.jpg] I dont care for PSA number one reason there holders are easy to tamper with and lots of people are opening PSA holders and puting in fakes or real card of a lesser grade example people will take a nice PSA 8 jordan crack it out of holder and reseal it in a PSA 10 holder with fake lable and sometimes the holders dont look tampered with. you cant do that with a beckett holder no way. also PSA tends to over grade alot . I think becket for the most part grades very good they make mistakes to but not like PSA

BGS is just tougher on grades for the Modern stuff IMO.

At the end of the day, its truly a matter of preference though. Either way, an 86 MJ, well centered in either slab is a lights out card and a must have in any collection.

I have always been under the impression Beckett grades more accurately than PSA and that makes it harder to get solid grades here. If I had a choice between a Beckett 9 and a PSA 9, I would go with Beckett every time, personally. As with everything, though, it is just a matter of opinion.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I have heard of more than one person lately who have bought nice a BGS 9.5 Jordan rookies and crossed them to a PSA 10 and made a couple of grand. My only guess to the price difference is that people are collecting PSA holders for the set registry.

I've tried this crossover..i.e. taking a BGS 9.5 and submitting to PSA for a 10. I legitimately think that they (PSA) are corrupt and manipulating the market based on my conversation with customer service..Claiming that they can't just crossover all 9.5's because of the value difference. I have all 9.5's except surface, which was a 9. And I can only find a microscopic white spot in the blue border that possibly gave it the 9 surface. PSA's GEM MINT 10 PUBLISHED grading standard states that this is allowed. I can see why a 9 centering or 9 corners or edges would prevent a crossover because it's obvious when there's whitening on those areas, but when its an unnoticeable surface spot? if that? and it doesn't cross??? I call shenanigans!

A somewhat related question, how do you folks value PSAs with OC when it comes to the Jordan RC?

Would you prefer a PSA 9 OC vs. a PSA 8 without the designation or even a BGS 8.5?

I don't really like the qualifiers from PSA, but its also odd to see a nicely conditioned card graded a 6 or a 5 because of centering @ BGS. If i had to choose, I think I'd choose a nicely centered PSA8 because it may cross to a weaker BGS 9 due to sub-grading. It seems like everyone thinks BGS grades more strictly, but I check out 100's and 100's of '86 fleer on ebay all the time and notice that PSA 9's always have clean corners and edges where BGS 9's may still show some chipping. I think a nicely centered PSA 9 can turn into a weak BGS 9.5 and it takes a really strong BGS 9.5 to cross back to a PSA 10 these days. PSA seems to let a little go in the centering department and still give out a 10, but the rest must be immaculate and free of any edge or corner chipping.

I've also taken BGS 9's and tried crossing to PSA 9's and they come back 8's, so as much as I like BGS and their holders and sub-grades, PSA still seems tougher and the market clearly agrees.