`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Talk me into it or talk me out of it please...

RE: Talk me into it or talk me out of it please...
(08-29-2012, 08:42 PM)lambeau legend4 Wrote: All I can say is, collect what makes YOU happy, regardless of whether the value of the guy will increase or decrease over the years. Hope this helps!
100% in agreement with above statement...and I'll add this as well "Collect within your means!!!" That's it and enjoy. Also, narrowing your focus WILL save you time and money!

Good luck with your decision.

Collecting a player based solely on POTENTIAL will almost always end up in disappointment (player doesn't live up to expectation or is sooo popular that it becomes too expensive, etc) and unfortunately encourages collectors to leave the hobby.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

Well I don't think I need to give you my opinion lol, you already know what I'd say. I have to agree with what Marinocollector said about what if a sick auto or something else comes up right after you blew a bunch of money of Ryan. I spend a little too much $ myself on my Sooners PC and seems like every time I do I see a sick elway and am broke. DON'T BE LIKE ME LMAO!!! Stick to your guy!!!
[Image: mooncricket916.jpg]

Well if you decide to pick up some Ryan's here is a Nice BGS Graded 9 SP Authentic Gold #/25 Auto RC for the low price of $9,999.99. But WAIT! the seller has a special discount as he has marked down the card $1,000 off don't miss out. It's only $8,999.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATT-RYAN-2008-S...1e6895ebad

I am just messing but yeah some people want ridiculous amounts which I think is silly. Even if he won 3 superbowls that price would be tough.
- Collecting Navorro Bowman - http://tinyurl.com/bowmancollection
Total Cards = (236/349) 67%
Auto 59/83 Jersey 4/4

(08-29-2012, 08:58 PM)branesergen Wrote: I had the same problem when I was busting butt on the DT PC. All this time, money and effort spent and possibly nothing to show for it. Sure its a hobby and its supposed to be fun but who really wants to spend 10k a year and have 1k to show for it? I had this same discussion with a friend of mine and we discussed what I liked and why. In the end my Manning PC was born. And even tho his stuff is semi expensive its been the most fun so far. My Magic set was a total blast until I found 2 tools who are just jacking up the prices on the SP's and I've been discouraged from buying them. With Manning I may spend a little more but if something happens and I have to sell them, I'll get atleast 90% of what I put into them. My vote is stick with Marino. Make it fun, its something you know will never go down in value and there is a ton of cards you need to get plus you already have a bunch. Ryan is still too early for me to judge. I thought he was going to be good but he hasnt proven anything yet. As for Tanne - well I just dont think a receiver from A & M is gonna cut it in the NFL as QB with no one to mentor him thats worth a flip. But I'm also a Longhorns fan so kinda dislike anything from A & M lol
This is a VERY similar conversation I had with my gf. Why spent $100s on Tannehill or even Lamar Miller when they may never pan out??? I like what I see from Tannehill so far but without any top notch WRs the ceiling is low for him this year. Hence his prices will drop and I can pick up a few next off season if I want to.

Like I mentioned before Marino is #1 in my books but I think I want something new and fresh. There are a ton of Marino collectors out there and maybe its wrong to think this way but I like to be different. Its not very exciting when I add a new card to my PC and 10 other Marino collectors already have it. Its like my PC is a mirror image of their PC just not as extensive. The only way to be unique is to pick up rarer cards which is $150-$200 a pop with no room to grow. I stopped collecting ZT for a similar reason. I found a die hard super collector of ZT and Im like he already has his best cards so now what? I still grab what I can especially new autos but overall my PC is a mirror image of his PC. There is something about being unique that I like which explains why I enjoy my JT PC so much. No one has anything similar and if they do I have yet to see it. Again may be a dumb way looking at it but at this current time thats how I feel.
(08-29-2012, 10:33 PM)mooncricket916 Wrote: Well I don't think I need to give you my opinion lol, you already know what I'd say. I have to agree with what Marinocollector said about what if a sick auto or something else comes up right after you blew a bunch of money of Ryan. I spend a little too much $ myself on my Sooners PC and seems like every time I do I see a sick elway and am broke. DON'T BE LIKE ME LMAO!!! Stick to your guy!!!
Valid point but dont you like your Sooner PC? Im not saying I wont collect Marino when I can but something new and fresh seems like fun. BTW you need to show off that Sooner PC!!!
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341