`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Anything Best 2009-10 SP Authentic?

Can Anything Best 2009-10 SP Authentic?
When it comes to card design, I'm hard pressed to think of a RC set more fetching than 2009-10 SP Authentic and boy have I not let you hear the end of it! But it's exciting to finally see a (dim) light at the end of the tunnel because after acquiring the flagship card of this Future Watch Autographed set, I hold for the first time all 3 of my favorite rookies from the 09-10 class. There's a certain relief that comes with reaching that sort of milestone (or breaking that psychological barrier, take your pick) and I can pause a moment to take a breath and look back at the progress:

[Image: 09-10FWACreme1.jpg]

There's a long way to go of course. 8 stubborn cards still stand between me and immortality *er* I should say, my first complete AU RC set (has it gone to my head?):

205 Tyler Bozak
225 John Scott - Locked down via Clint
228 Cody Franson
229 Matt Beleskey
230 Dmitry Kulikov
242 Tom Wandell
244 Artem Anisimov
256 Luca Caputi

Wandell and Caputi'll require patience if they're to be obtained at a reasonable value. I should also fess up at this point to purchasing 4 cards for my set long before I'd decided to complete the project entirely from trades:

224 Byron Bitz - Arrived via Nick
226 Riku Helenius
240 Oskars Bartulis
248 Joel Rechlicz

So technically there are 12/60 outstanding...but who's counting? Still and all, 80% set completion allows me to turn my attention to parallels. Gazing back once again at these 3 stars, really, how's SP Authentic going to trump these?

3rd Star - Senators fans are like, pfff no Erik Karlsson?...weak. Yes I'm a little biased too, but c'mon, the SPA FWA is for my money the essential card of any player who came into the league by 2001-02 and Cooch is the essential player in my PC.

[Image: CoutureFWA1.jpg]

2nd Star - This Tavares'll be familiar. I was waiting (hoping?) for a sophomore slump so that landing a copy would be a tad easier but I gave in because this man yeah he is good at hockey. It'll be fun to see if I should've followed my instincts to bide my time rather than panic though.

[Image: JohnTavaresFWA.jpg]

1st Star - Duchene's one of my all-time favorite pulls and this card could be the oldest piece in the set. I would've sent it in for grading but for the centering. You have 1 down year and suddenly the only rising superstar on the Avs is Landeskog. Sheesh, TSN analysts are as fickle as us.

[Image: DucheneFWA.jpg]

Oh, you were looking for the gauntlet? Here, I'll throw it down:

If there's a better looking modern era RC set out there, post it because I have to see it to believe it.

While you chew on that challenge (read: completely disregard that outburst), here's a ranking of SP Authentic AU RC design as I see it:

[Image: th_ZetterbergSPxRC.jpg]
I don't have any examples of 01-02 or 02-03 SP Authentic so the closest I can come is 02-03 SPx. SPx may very well have one-upped SPA that year, but the 02-03 Future Watch (not pictured) is still a striking card. Almost as striking as 09-10...but not quite.

[Image: th_SeminFWA.jpg]
03-04's look is understated and clean, sure, but that's the defining feature of SP Authentic and partly why it's such a great rookie chase year after year. But while it's a sleeper pick, you have to bring more to the table outshine oh-nine (ten).

[Image: th_SteverBernierFWA.jpg]
05-06 is simply iconic, plus it's tough not to be swayed by this rookie class' star power. On a CLEARLY unrelated note, Bernier's my only 001/xxx pull. Anyways, if I'm an alien who's landed on Earth moments ago, I'm going with 09-10 FIRST and THEN commencing the invasion.

[Image: th_KopitarFWA-1.jpg] [Image: th_CopyofKopitarGG.jpg]
You can almost see the exact moment when Kopi's hand started to cramp up: *just* after signing 700 identical cards with 300 more to go. Anyways, I'm still debating whether I like 06-07 or 08-09 to go up against 02-03 for the silver medal.

[Image: th_DubinskyFWA.jpg]
The favorite SP Authentic pull of my life (Toews) came out of this set, another iconic one. It's hard for me to admit though that 07-08 is just a snazzed up nod to 05-06. Hrm, tempting, but I still have to go with 09-10.

[Image: th_PietrangeloFWA.jpg]
There was a time when 08-09 gave 09-10 a run for its money but it's since fallen back. Stamkos makes collectors do crazy things but I'll try and retain my sanity just long enough to recognize that 09-10's a cut above.

[Image: th_JeffSkinnerFWA.jpg] [Image: th_HallSPxRC.jpg]
10-11 was straight up "ugs" ("ugly" for those unfamiliar with 90210-area parlance). I think 10-11 should be banned from the set entirely. SPx puts it to shame. And that's not generally recommended.

So without having had time to process 11-12 yet, my SPA card-design ranking goes roughly like this:

1) 09-10
2) 02-03
3) 08-09
4) 07-08
5) 01-02
6) 06-07
7) 03-04
8) 05-06
9) 10-11

How does yours go?
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

RE: Can Anything Beat 2009-10 SP Authentic?
I would be inclined to agree with you, im currently doing a master set of this as well (i havent started on Autos yet lol im poor.) But definitely its a very chean, sharp looking set.
[Image: nemesisbanner2.gif]

Sig by tha_penguin

After Joe Thornton serial #1's

Joe Thornton PC: (515) 11.36% Joe Thornton #'d 01/xx: (37) 1.34%
Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%
Couture (37) Demers (26) Sateri (23)

AFTER: TOMAS HERTL, HARRI SATERI

I think it's a matter of opinion on which SP Authentic looks the best.. to me, they're all about equal. It is a great set though.. with some nice players in there. I'm waiting on the Wandell too.. it's the only one I need. The Caputi will probably require a lot of patience, if you're looking to get it for less than $100
[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)

(08-25-2012, 12:43 AM)phildo37 Wrote: I think it's a matter of opinion on which SP Authentic looks the best.. to me, they're all about equal. It is a great set though.. with some nice players in there. I'm waiting on the Wandell too.. it's the only one I need. The Caputi will probably require a lot of patience, if you're looking to get it for less than $100
Sorry, but why is that? Are they short printed or just only a few have surfaced?

(08-25-2012, 12:56 AM)rippinwax Wrote: Sorry, but why is that? Are they short printed or just only a few have surfaced?
Pretty sure it was a redemption, and not many have been honoured, he didnt sign heaps or something, and only a few have surfaced like you suggested. I could be wrong though.

Sig by tha_penguin

Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%

I believe I have the Jon Scott, Its all yours hit me up

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

great set progress!!

good luck on the rest of them
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

(08-24-2012, 11:13 PM)nemesis77777 Wrote: I would be inclined to agree with you, im currently doing a master set of this as well (i havent started on Autos yet lol im poor.)
Whoa a master set...of the RCs or the whole shebang? It would seem almost attainable, given a decade, if it weren't for those Immortal Inks.

By the way, I understand your budgetary constraints only too well. I'm still running off fumes from better times. But it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't excruciating, I mean challenging, right?

-----

(08-25-2012, 12:43 AM)phildo37 Wrote: I think it's a matter of opinion on which SP Authentic looks the best.. to me, they're all about equal. It is a great set though.. with some nice players in there. I'm waiting on the Wandell too.. it's the only one I need. The Caputi will probably require a lot of patience, if you're looking to get it for less than $100
Throw me a bone and gimme your top 3 at least. Especially since you have the benefit of incredible 90s cards knowledge as context. Oh and $100 for Caputi? I think I'll wait to keel over and be reincarnated as Terry Pegula's great-grandson first.

-----

(08-25-2012, 12:56 AM)rippinwax Wrote: Sorry, but why is that? Are they short printed or just only a few have surfaced?
As I understand it, they were both redemptions at release because the players hadn't signed...I believe a good amount have been returned to UD but there are few in circulation right now. I, for one, will be waiting until people start getting Wandells and Caputis in the mail as replacements for damaged RNH, Yakupov, and Seth Jones FWAs before I make a move.

-----

(08-25-2012, 01:47 AM)jowlsisacanucksfan Wrote: I believe I have the Jon Scott, Its all yours hit me up
Dude, I'm all over it...thanks so much my friend. Please lock it down for me and I'll continue to locate Nucks to send your way in the meantime.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

(08-25-2012, 03:55 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: Whoa a master set...of the RCs or the whole shebang? It would seem almost attainable, given a decade, if it weren't for those Immortal Inks.

By the way, I understand your budgetary constraints only too well. I'm still running off fumes from better times. But it wouldn't be fun if it wasn't excruciating, I mean challenging, right?
The whole thing Smile im doing it with a few others as well, but some are easier to work than others. Or with budget as it is, im just doing the inserts for now, and worry about SP's and Autos etc later. Yeah its all about the thrill of the chase, long term goals haha.

Sig by tha_penguin

Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%

(08-25-2012, 03:55 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: Throw me a bone and gimme your top 3 at least. Especially since you have the benefit of incredible 90s cards knowledge as context. Oh and $100 for Caputi? I think I'll wait to keel over and be reincarnated as Terry Pegula's great-grandson first.

Maybe $100 is a bit much.. I think I might've been around $80 for mine. The 05-06 Barker was pretty expensive, and so was 08-09 Filatov

I'll give you my rankings (based on auto's only.. not non-auto FW's)

1. 06-07
2. 11-12
3. 05-06
4. 07-08
5. 08-09
6. 03-04
7. 09-10
8. 01-02
9. 02-03
10. 10-11

[Image: finlandbanner.jpg]
Bucket - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/phildonu37/ (I don't update my bucket when stuff is gone)