`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could go back...

If you could go back...
As I'm going through different trade offers, I saw a few cards that I didn't need but reminded me of an upset I recently had. A couple of months ago I sold a few cards and had enough money to get the supplies I wanted as well as a box or two of cards. While I was waiting for the payment to complete, I saw a box of cards that I really wanted. It was only the retail version, but I absolutely love that product. Unfortunately about two days before the payment completed, they ran out of the product.

I've looked around online here and there, no consistent searching though, for this product through the years and normally have a very hard time finding a box or even packs (and I don't like to buy packs online). But I did buy a few packs at a show when I was a kid and now I wish I would have bought more packs of them back then or saved up to have bought a box or two, they were definitely cheaper back then.

So my question to you is, if you could go back in time to when a product was at it's lowest price, whether it be because it just came out, was a few years old but still relatively new, etc., what product would you have bought more of because you loved the product (not for the investment)?

My product:

1998-99 Black Diamond

[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: If you could go back...
I would of bought more Finest 1996-97... so I can grab some Kobe RC's... I loved Finest throughout the years. I bought a ton of packs the first two years they came out... Fell in love with those refractors.. I stopped collecting between the 95-96 season & 99.. Collected briefly in 99-01, then gave it up til 2007, when I jumped overboard into my cardboard addiction.. now I can't stop, but am fighting the urge to buy less Basketball cards... can't afford everything, so I collect my passion of Basketball instead of other sports..

my choice: 1996-97 FINEST

2nd Choice: 1992-93 HOOPS series II (shaq's 1st RC) ** bought this product like crazy & had very good luck pulling Magic's All RC cards.. think I pulled 4 or 5 Shaq's back then, but being 13 years old at the time, I always traded them or sold them away..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

1986-87 Fleer would be nice to go back and have bought more, but I was really only collecting baseball cards at that time, although I do remember those packs of basketball cards and wish I had bought some now. More recently I wish I would have bought more of the 09-10 Upper Deck boxes a little over a year ago. I love the dual relics and some of the inserts, plus the overall set is has some great photos and good rookies.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

This one is easy for me.... I remember collecting cards pretty big from 96-00, didn't have much money because I was only 12-16 and on allowance... But it would have to be 1996 Topps Chrome!! For you OG heads on here, you'll remember that '96 Chrome was a RETAIL release through Wal-Mart initially! I actually remember seeing BOXES of it for 50 dollars at my local Wal-Mart! 50 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! Topps really didn't think Chrome would be the instant classic it became & due to having the best rookie class the NBA had seen since 1984, it was an instant hit! So much so that by 97-98, Chrome officially had hobby boxes as well!

Yup.... If I could go back in time I'd have bought as many boxes as possible Smile

DAcardworld has that year of black diamond, Xstream. Well, they had it ....

for me though.... 1996-97 Upper Deck Series 1 to complete the set.

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

(07-31-2012, 06:39 PM)bengu Wrote: This one is easy for me.... I remember collecting cards pretty big from 96-00, didn't have much money because I was only 12-16 and on allowance... But it would have to be 1996 Topps Chrome!! For you OG heads on here, you'll remember that '96 Chrome was a RETAIL release through Wal-Mart initially! I actually remember seeing BOXES of it for 50 dollars at my local Wal-Mart! 50 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! Topps really didn't think Chrome would be the instant classic it became & due to having the best rookie class the NBA had seen since 1984, it was an instant hit! So much so that by 97-98, Chrome officially had hobby boxes as well!

Yup.... If I could go back in time I'd have bought as many boxes as possible Smile
I remember this as well. Problem was, I didn't particularly like the cards, it was just a glossy version of the regular topps cards haha.

96-97 was the last year I really did any collecting until I got back into it. That said, I'd go w/ the e-x2000 of that year. I remember going to my local card shop (literally 100 yards from my house) and I bought two packs for I believe $8. Pulled a ho-hum rookie (turned out to be Ray Allen) and a couple base (Mullin and my PC guy Mitch Richmond). I loved the design then, still love them now, and wish I'd tried a bunch more because the insert designs are just wicked (not too mention worth big $$ today). Now to get a box I'd have to hit the lottery! (Same for the chrome though, obviously lol).

Runner-up? 95-96 SP. Just a beautiful beautiful set. That base MJ is still my favorite card.
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

(07-31-2012, 06:42 PM)taffster74 Wrote: DAcardworld has that year of black diamond, Xstream. Well, they had it ....

for me though.... 1996-97 Upper Deck Series 1 to complete the set.
Yeah, that's where I was looking. I looked every day hoping my payment would clear so that I could buy it, then bloop, it was gone. Very sad Xstream over here. lol.
(07-31-2012, 06:54 PM)buckunteer Wrote: ...Problem was, I didn't particularly like the cards, it was just a glossy version of the regular topps cards haha...
Yeah, that's how I felt about Topps Chrome when they came out. I figured, if you're going to do that, why not at least change the pictures and the description in the back, or number them, etc. I hate looking for a card in my organize and I find 15 different versions of the card. Topps, Topps Chrome, Topps 1st Edition, Topps Chrome Refractors, Topps Chrome Refractors Orange, Topps Chrome Refractors Purple, etc. They all have the same picture and the same information on the back. Sadly though, OCD wants all. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

Great thread!

Very easy ... the first LCS I ever went to was Ski's in Sacramento, and I was just getting into collecting.

I was looking for Oakland A's singles from 1988 Topps (!), like Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire, and I noticed that they had 1986-87 Fleer Basketball packs for ... wait for it ...

Three for a dollar. They weren't even behind the counter, they were next to the cash register.

He also had a Michael Jordan rookie card for ... wait for it ...

Twenty bucks. I was actually into basketball because I was playing on my junior high team then, and I almost bought the MJ single ... but then I wouldn't have any money left for 1988 Topps baseball packs!

And yes, I remember 1996-97 Chrome, they had it at Target across the street from where I worked. But I think they were like $1.99 a pack or something, and that was a huge ripoff.

Man oh man ... Doing the math, a 1986-87 Fleer box would have been what, $12? ... and I probably could have had it for $10 if I offered to buy the whole box ...

Back when it was released I bought the best part of a box of 96 - 97 Finest series one. Left 4 or 5 packs in there after having no luck and pulling a Scott Williams and Lindsey Hunter refractor. Found out the next week that there was a Kobe refractor left in the box. Should have just bought them...