IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Good News For Slotman, Please Read

Good News For Slotman, Please Read
Bengals WR Jordan Shipley returns to practice

By The Associated Press
CINCINNATI (AP) — Bengals receiver Jordan Shipley has been cleared to practice, the final step in his comeback from reconstructive knee surgery.
Shipley tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Sept. 18. He was limited during drills in the offseason and wasn’t allowed to practice when training camp opened on Friday.
He practiced for the first time on Monday, along with cornerback Nate Clements. Clements started all but one game last season. He’s been bothered by an abdominal strain.
Shipley is in a group of receivers competing for the starting job in the slot. Andrew Hawkins and rookie Mohamed Sanu are expected to get a lot of time at the position during the preseason.

RE: Good News For Slotman, Please Read
Thanks for the heads up!!! I had made a post already, but no one has read it yet...Wink

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1508823.html

(07-30-2012, 10:13 PM)slotman11 Wrote: Thanks for the heads up!!! I had made a post already, but no one has read it yet...Wink

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1508823.html
Actually, it was funny, because after we were going back and forth last week I read more about the PUP list thing, and basically all it means is that the player can't practice until they are taken off it (duh), but the funny thing is they can be taken off at any time, sooo ...

I don't really get the point of the PUP list, or why he (or anybody) was put on it in the first place — because I'm pretty sure it still counts against your roster total?

(07-30-2012, 10:34 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I don't really get the point of the PUP list, or why he (or anybody) was put on it in the first place — because I'm pretty sure it still counts against your roster total?
I wasnt sure either, heres what I could find.

Active/PUP relates to players being unable to start training camp with a football-related injury. There is no rule governing them to sit out of practice for any amount of time. Once they are medically cleared, they're allowed to practice that moment. For example if Shipley goes on Active/PUP to begin training camp, he's eligible to practice once Cincinnati's medical staff clears him. At this point, every mention of PUP that you're seeing pop up around the NFL, refers to the Active/PUP. It's the less catastrophic Armageddon version, but it enables players to eventually become eligible for the other PUP list (which benefits teams with players still recovering).

Then there's the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List. If by the end of the preseason a player isn't medically cleared yet, he can be transferred to the Reserve/PUP, which prevents that player from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season -- however that player doesn't count against the 53-man roster. If the player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a three-week window to make a decision (injured reserve, release, activation).

So if Kirkpatrick or Shipley are placed on PUP on Thursday (or Friday), it's the active list. Meaning that once they're cleared, they're ready to practice and the start of the regular season has no impact. However if they remain on Active/PUP following the final preseason game, then they're candidates for the Reserve/PUP, which impacts their playing time for the first six weeks, but frees their spot on the roster for another player.

However once a player practices during training camp, all options of the Physically Unable to Perform list are off the table. For example, Antonio Bryant came into training camp in 2010 with a serious issue in his knee. If the team placed him on Active/PUP, he could have been eligible for the Reserve/PUP list and allowed to rehabilitate for several months before the team needed to make a decision. Instead he practiced during the first training camp session and was thus ineligible for Reserve/PUP -- therefore they ended up eating Bryant's signing bonus and other guarantees he earned in his contract, cutting him before the regular season without the option of observing any improvement and using him if he recovered.
[Image: davisban2bcopy4.jpg]

(07-30-2012, 10:52 PM)the great 48 Wrote: I wasnt sure either, heres what I could find.

Active/PUP relates to players being unable to start training camp with a football-related injury. There is no rule governing them to sit out of practice for any amount of time. Once they are medically cleared, they're allowed to practice that moment. For example if Shipley goes on Active/PUP to begin training camp, he's eligible to practice once Cincinnati's medical staff clears him. At this point, every mention of PUP that you're seeing pop up around the NFL, refers to the Active/PUP. It's the less catastrophic Armageddon version, but it enables players to eventually become eligible for the other PUP list (which benefits teams with players still recovering).

Then there's the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List. If by the end of the preseason a player isn't medically cleared yet, he can be transferred to the Reserve/PUP, which prevents that player from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season -- however that player doesn't count against the 53-man roster. If the player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a three-week window to make a decision (injured reserve, release, activation).

So if Kirkpatrick or Shipley are placed on PUP on Thursday (or Friday), it's the active list. Meaning that once they're cleared, they're ready to practice and the start of the regular season has no impact. However if they remain on Active/PUP following the final preseason game, then they're candidates for the Reserve/PUP, which impacts their playing time for the first six weeks, but frees their spot on the roster for another player.

However once a player practices during training camp, all options of the Physically Unable to Perform list are off the table. For example, Antonio Bryant came into training camp in 2010 with a serious issue in his knee. If the team placed him on Active/PUP, he could have been eligible for the Reserve/PUP list and allowed to rehabilitate for several months before the team needed to make a decision. Instead he practiced during the first training camp session and was thus ineligible for Reserve/PUP -- therefore they ended up eating Bryant's signing bonus and other guarantees he earned in his contract, cutting him before the regular season without the option of observing any improvement and using him if he recovered.
Good enough for me, sir, thanks for looking into it.