`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few vacation pickups with Lou Brock autos and a postcard of a guy with no cards

A few vacation pickups with Lou Brock autos and a postcard of a guy with no cards
Was on vacation this week in the town we go to every summer. Went to the same antique shop and found the same card dealer set up in there. Picked up the 59s, Giles and Brocks from him. Also opened a couple of packs during a trip to Wal-Mart.

One of the pickups at the antique store was a neat little signed postcard of a player named Charles "Chuck" Aleno. He has only 1 card listed in the ORG and it's a minor league card. He played from 1941-1944 for Cincinnatti and still holds the record for longest hitting streak to begin an MLB career. It doesn't have a COA, but for just a couple of bucks, I couldn't refuse.

Anyway, let me know what you think and what you're interested in. I will be getting them put into my ORG tonight. The Bob Allen is NFT. Thanks again.

[Image: July12scan0001.jpg]

[Image: July12scan0002.jpg]

[Image: July12scan0014.jpg]

[Image: July12scan0003.jpg]

[Image: July12scan0004.jpg]

RE: A few vacation pickups with Lou Brock autos and a postcard of a guy with no cards
the postcard is neat, i am curious what you need for it
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

RE: A few vacation pickups with Lou Brock autos and a postcard of a guy with no cards
(07-12-2012, 10:53 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: the postcard is neat, i am curious what you need for it
I am thinking I am going to hold on to it for now. Might send it off to JSA or PSA or whatever and get it authenticated before selling it. Just don't know enough about the guy or the cards to let it go right now.

Found his obituary:

The Deland Deltona Beacon
February 13, 2003
Charles Aleno

DELAND - Charles Aleno, 85, of Marion Court, died Feb. 10, 2003, at Woodland Terrace Nursing Center.

Mr. Aleno was the concessionaire for all DeLand ballparks for more than 40 years. In the late 1950s, he owned Aleno Interiors, which was taken over by his son Chuck. He played professional baseball for the Cincinnati Red Legs 1939-43 and for various leagues until the 1950s. Born in St. Louis, he moved to this area in 1937 from Nanuet, N.Y.

He was a charter member of the Rockland County, N.Y., Professional Sports Hall of Fame, and a past member of the DeLand Jaycees, Elks Lodge No. 1463 in DeLand, and the DeLand Moose Lodge.

Mr. Aleno is survived by three sons, Mick and Randy, both of DeLand, and Chuck of Lyman, S.C., six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Lankford was in charge.

Wonder how they would be able to authenticate something like that?