`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Caution!!!!! Altered Patch Cards on Ebay

Caution!!!!! Altered Patch Cards on Ebay
We dont talk about this alot on this board so I wanted to make a thread letting veteran and new collectors know whats going on. When buying patch cards, be very careful. There are alot of fakes out there nowadays and try to do the most research you can on a card before you buy it. Always examine the windows to look for damage, research past autctions to see if the card has been sold before with different patches or regular jerseys in them and if others from the same set have similar patches in them, obviously research the seller, and always post concerns on here if you feel an auction may have a fraudulent card (i think you can just copy the image of the card and post it to the site, since you can post auctions that havent ended). On the other site im active on, we just discovered a quad patch card of jordan, lebron, kobe, and garnett. The seller posted a picture of the card and hide the serial number. I did some research and found a new buyer that had bought a quad jersey card that looked just like the quad patch card. I then looked at his buying history and he had bought a few low end patches from bulls players, a low end dual laker patch card, and a low end t-wolves patch card. The patch that was in place for garnett was the same patch that was in the t-wolves card. Scammers are getting better and better at what they do, its up to us to look out for one another and ofcourse ourselves. Dont let this thread scare you, there are still a ton of honest people out there with patch cards that are nasty and were pack pulled, just use good judgement. If anyone has any other good clues to look for, post them here.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/04-SPGU-QUAD-JERS...6g~~_3.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2004-SP-GAME-USED...~60_12.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2010-11-ROOKIES-S...~60_57.JPG
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

RE: Caution!!!!! Altered Patch Cards on Ebay
Thanks again Pingbling. I have a doubt on one of my patches. Maybe you can help me. I bought this patch from a seller on ebay with 100% feedback. My problem with the patch is that Magic's patch does not quite fill the entire area designed for the patch. It has a small gap. I payed top dollar for it and do not know if this happens regularly. I saw a Jordan Patch a while back with the same problem. Any help will be appreciated. This is the card.

[Image: MichaelJordan-MagicJohnsonDualPatch.jpg]

i think youre good, i just looked at 3 different cards like that on ebay and all of the patches were cut from that same material, now if you had it and it had stitched patches, then i would be worried. i think ud just got a little lazy with the patch placement.

Wow. I saw that quad card on ebay and was going to bid on it! The bidding got too high for me, it was close to 500$ the last time I saw it. He also had a BIN price of 2,500$. Thanks for the insight!

take note, the seller cut off the bottom of the card (where the serial number is) so you couldnt exactly link it to the regular jersey card. funny thing is, ud didnt even make a patch version of that card.

(07-09-2012, 04:40 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: i think youre good, i just looked at 3 different cards like that on ebay and all of the patches were cut from that same material, now if you had it and it had stitched patches, then i would be worried. i think ud just got a little lazy with the patch placement.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will definitely keep an eye out for possible fake patches in the future. Because I am always looking at MJ jersey and patches in the bay, I sometimes see cards that had been sold over a month ago relisted for a higher price than they were sold. Maybe sellers also bring up the prices on Jordan Cards in this way. There are so many ways to get scammed on ebay! Sad They bid on their own auctions and when people see past auctions they think that Jordan is selling way high. You should always try to see the number on the card as you said.

(07-09-2012, 04:37 PM)edescartes Wrote: Thanks again Pingbling. I have a doubt on one of my patches. Maybe you can help me. I bought this patch from a seller on ebay with 100% feedback. My problem with the patch is that Magic's patch does not quite fill the entire area designed for the patch. It has a small gap. I payed top dollar for it and do not know if this happens regularly. I saw a Jordan Patch a while back with the same problem. Any help will be appreciated. This is the card.

[Image: MichaelJordan-MagicJohnsonDualPatch.jpg]
that looks authentic,sometimes they won't always fill the window.Usually fake patches will look guady and if you look close you will see damage around the window (s).
[Image: PennyBannerFinal.gif]

bump, still alot of fakes being listed.

sucks!!

Looks like the card id damaged! Check out the area around the patch...

[Image: %24T2eC16JHJI!E9qSO8D3HBP9d1zCyRg~~60_12.JPG]
[Image: %24(KGrHqYOKkQE3tSu-pqJBN+rl)!q6g~~_3.JPG]

after looking at those two pics for a few minutes.. the first pic, with the patches, looks high def... I got to get a camera like that....

I looked at the closed ebay listings.. their is a listing with that patch card saying serial number was 07/10... while the 2nd pic has a serial of 04/10... so in this case, those two cards are different...

BUT, if you search Beckett for "lebron jordan garnett authentic fabrics"... it only lists one card...

http://www.beckett.com/basketball/2004-0...nt-3353903

I wish Beckett would list if the card is supposed to be a jersey or patch under the "attributes" section of the card listing.. Below was copied from card's data pertaining to subject card.

Attributes Mem4, Jsy, Ser, Mem

the person that bought the card is going to be extremely upset when he finds out the card is fake!!

I do not know why this seller (rare_mj_cards) would sell an allegedly fake & damaged card... check out the kobe patch... !! DAMAGED CARD!!

a true collector would state that card is damaged when they try to sell it... not listing the serial number or showing it in the scan are warning signs to any collector/buyer that something is wrong with the card....

Seller made a mistake by listing the serial number in previous listings...

this seller has a Jeremy Lin RC AUTO... why would he want to switch a jersey for a patch, damage a card, & try to sell it to an unsuspecting collector....??? It is hard for me to believe that he is trying to commit fraud, but the evidence is piled against him!!

The case of the fake patch rests. He is found GUILTY!!
How can we turn him in for selling a tampered/altered sports cad.. ??
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

ud didnt make a patch version of that card. the listing stating 7/10 is the one that doesnt show the serial number right. its the same card, just somone trying to scam, check out the pics i added in my first post, it shows the patch used for the kg.