`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!

RE: 1984 Star & 1986 Fleer Jordan RC's!!! The icons!!
Thanks arabiansnowgriz for the link bro! That was a very interesting read!

By the way here is my MJ Fleer RC in BGS 9+ grade...

[Image: MJBENRC.jpg]

I had a BGS 9.5x4 but sold it because the wife & I needed extra money to buy a house. I am very happy with the BGS 9 though with the high subs. One day my dream is to maybe trade this one with some cash and get a BGS 9.5 with subs 10, 9.5, 9.5, and 9.5... With the 10 being on centering!

I can't wait to one day also add the 1984 Star in BGS 9... That would be an epic edition!

Who else wants to share their Jordan rookie stories or cards?

Nice MJ's u guys!

There has and always will be an arguable debate on which is considered to be MJ's true RC. The Star Card # 101 fits all the characteristics of being his "true" rookie. However, it is also looked at as a "first issue" card. Same can be said for Stockton, Wilkins, Thomas, and others...

Star Co. was and had the only NBA license at the time. These cards "were" available to the public in team sets, not complete sets; there is a difference. Actually, MJ's 5x7 Court Kings was said to be printed and issued before the iconic #101, but there has been no evidence; only rumors thus far.

Now that is a sick BGS 9! Love the sub grades on that thing. I'm looking to upgrade my own to a true BGS 9 with all subs 9 or better. Great card! I love looking at MJ's rookies!
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

Does anybody else find it surprising that the Star in BGS 9 had been on eBay for a while with a BIN of 10,000 and nobody bought it? I mean considering that it's the highest grade possible as of yet to attain of that card, I thought those few 9's would ever double that! I mean what the heck? Collectors would drop 50K on a PMG green... But not even 10K on the highest graded Star RC?? Lol

(07-08-2012, 05:29 PM)bengu Wrote: Does anybody else find it surprising that the Star in BGS 9 had been on eBay for a while with a BIN of 10,000 and nobody bought it? I mean considering that it's the highest grade possible as of yet to attain of that card, I thought those few 9's would ever double that! I mean what the heck? Collectors would drop 50K on a PMG green... But not even 10K on the highest graded Star RC?? Lol
I think that if you see one that grades a gold(9.5-10) you will not see those kinds of prices. I think that this card is under rated but then agian..It's not the greatest picture of MJ.
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

Yeah that picture compared to the Fleer one is a DISTANT second lol...

But for example look at this extremely strong BGS 9...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-85-Star-101...3a75c543c0

Subs are AMAZING for a card that was made almost 30 years ago!!! And the fact that it's the higest possible grade anyone can get of this card at the moment, i'm kinda stunned that people don't think 10K is a bargain lol. I mean there are over 220 BGS 9.5 Fleer RC's and those sell at LEAST for 3-5K depending on subs.
And there are only 18 BGS 9's of the Star!!!!!! That should tell the whole story on which card is more coveted and more widely considered as the true MJ RC!

I posted these images before but I am a sucker for the MJ RC threads so dug this one up while exploring the boards.

Bengu- That is an absolutely STUNNING 9! Beyond gorgeous with the 10 centering.

I purchased the 2 below as my grand return to collecting. The Fleer was picked up on ebay for $700. The 9 centering sold me and the card presents as well if not better than most PSA 9s I've seen. After purchasing I ended up completing the entire set with all key cards in BGS 8.5 or higher, stickers in BGS 9 is my current project.

My brother just picked up the BGS 9.5 with 10 for centering and 10 for edges,9.5 on corners and surface. Makes me want an upgrade!!

The Star came right after. I just couldn't have one without the other. The bottom right corner bothers me sometimes but the triple 8.5 subs made me go after it. The price was great at under a grand. I couldn't resist and feel I got great deals on both.

The Fleer is no doubt the more attractive and iconic card. Should PSA ever start grading Star though, i feel we will see a tremendous spike in price. It is far more rare and I for one believe any card that is licensed and released 2 yrs prior to the other needs to be considered the true RC. In any event, any Jordan Collection or IMO any Sportcard Collection in general needs both.

[Image: National.jpg]

'86 Fleer RC All the WAY!!

[Image: 9fd8346e.jpg]

(07-06-2012, 02:22 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: the one i own is in my sig. i think the better card is the star graded. its more valuable and more rare, although i think the fleer is the better looking card. the star will be more valuable in the future, especially since i dont believe bgs or psa will grade them anymore due to all of the fakes.
The '84 was always considered the true rookie in the '80's when i started collecting. Unfortunately there is a myth that has been perpetuated over the years that the Star card is easier to fake than the Fleer card. Neither card has any kind hologram that would prevent it from being copied any easier than the other.