`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ramifications of "GIFT"

RE: The Ramifications of "GIFT"
(07-03-2012, 12:27 PM)giantfan270 Wrote: they sent me an e mail inquiring on what the transactions were all about and they sent me a copy of their policy in terms of a "gift" with a little threat on how they can close my account if it is not used according to the terms. That was the icing on the cake for me. I closed it for them.

Lol, you closed your account because they wouldn't allow you to circumvent their policy and force them to unknowingly process your transactions for free when they should have been paid for their services? You really showed them!

As a seller OR a buyer, I honestly don't understand how anyone could NOT like Paypal. (I should clarify that I have never been on the seller's end of a dispute, so I can't speculate on that) It is ridiculously convenient and the fees are barely more than they would be to process a credit/debit transaction without even using them as a middle man. I am more than happy to pay the extra (less than) 1% for the convenience.

OK OK - NO FIGHTING !! LOL

I use gift with members I trust. I'm not laundering money to Columbia for my shipment of Cocaine. I pay cash for that.

When I do send gift to a member/person I trust,...in the comment line I write "happy birthday" or "congrats" etc etc. I have gifted a lot, and rec'd gift less, but "gift" makes for a happy seller when trying to buy stuff cheap off card forums.
Insert Banner.

(07-03-2012, 02:23 PM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Lol, you closed your account because they wouldn't allow you to circumvent their policy and force them to unknowingly process your transactions for free when they should have been paid for their services? You really showed them!

As a seller OR a buyer, I honestly don't understand how anyone could NOT like Paypal. (I should clarify that I have never been on the seller's end of a dispute, so I can't speculate on that) It is ridiculously convenient and the fees are barely more than they would be to process a credit/debit transaction without even using them as a middle man. I am more than happy to pay the extra (less than) 1% for the convenience.

Never said that. Please don't put words in my post. I'll reiterate. Read it slowly.

That was the icing on the cake. Before that they gave a buyer a refund for a card without him retuning the card. A $325 card. That's why I don't like paypal.
2012 Beckett "Super Collector"

(07-03-2012, 12:00 PM)ricky williams 34 Wrote: I'm wondering if they "play favorites" with their premier members. I just took a significant chunk of change in as "gift" from about 17 people with no ramifications. Of course, I run quite a bit of money through their system every year...
I think its on a case by case basis but when I got hit, it was a little bit after I had the money come through.

The last 2 years I used PayPal for a march madness bracket pool. I didn't want to be on the hook for taxes (it wasn't my money, whether that matters or not when talking about income) so I had people send as a gift. A little after the tourney they shut me down. They held payments and stuff but have since lifted it. I was using PayPal for other things pretty heavily too but that didn't matter.

This year there will be no paypal for my pool.
Penn State Auto Collection

www.PSUAutoCollection.yolasite.com

(07-03-2012, 10:17 PM)mkufta Wrote: I think its on a case by case basis but when I got hit, it was a little bit after I had the money come through.

The last 2 years I used PayPal for a march madness bracket pool. I didn't want to be on the hook for taxes (it wasn't my money, whether that matters or not when talking about income) so I had people send as a gift. A little after the tourney they shut me down. They held payments and stuff but have since lifted it. I was using PayPal for other things pretty heavily too but that didn't matter.

This year there will be no paypal for my pool.

Well, we'll see what happens...I'm running a fundraiser for a friend who is dying of cancer. We've had quite a bit come in as gift and no notice yet, but as the money continues to come in I'll keep you posted!!
I like cards serial numbered 34/xx
[Image: RD1.jpg]
Still working on 2009 Topps Magic Autos

In that case, it might be a good idea to inform paypal what you're doing. I would guess that's what the gift feature is really for so you shouldn't get in trouble for it, unless they don't know.

(07-04-2012, 08:13 AM)mkufta Wrote: In that case, it might be a good idea to inform paypal what you're doing. I would guess that's what the gift feature is really for so you shouldn't get in trouble for it, unless they don't know.
they charge charities just the same as everyone else...gift option is not a viable option for charities

/believe...i have been down that road with paypal, arguing until i was blue in the face

however, there are services for charities that dont charge for taking payments

(07-04-2012, 09:20 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: they charge charities just the same as everyone else...gift option is not a viable option for charities

/believe...i have been down that road with paypal, arguing until i was blue in the face

however, there are services for charities that dont charge for taking payments
Agreed!

I am also a member of a NASCAR trading site and every year we have a fundraiser for the 'Victory Junction Gang Camp'. The admin taking in the funds has had to make sure that no one sends the donation as a 'gift' through Paypal b/c they have threatened to shut down his account b/c of all the 'gift' activity. Even though it's only once a year, we try to raise at least $2500 (enough to send 1 disabled child to the camp for a week) and most of that runs through his PP account.
I guess I can understand PP's point but if it can be proven that it really does go to charity, they should be a little more lenient.

Jacoby, would you PM me some info about that last sentence?

Not being allowed to take gift when the money is for charity makes very little sense to me.