`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2012 v. 2011 Prestige

2012 v. 2011 Prestige
A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that the 2012 is so much better than the 2011 of this - I'm not sure I can agree. The base cards in the 2012 may well be the first cards I have ever seen which look better in pictures than in person. They aren't bad, but not as nice looking as the initial shots made me believe. There are also much fewer numbered cards than last year - I only got 5 numbered cards total this year, including 2 of the 4 hits and only one card numbered with fewer than 100 examples. 3 of the 5 numbered cards are numbered 899 or more. Last year, I got in addition to 4 of the 5 hits being numbered, I got at least 6 additional numbered cards (don't know the exact count) - including 3 numbered fewer than 100. Only two were numbered 899 or more.

It just seems like they gave more value last year. But I could have got an unusually good box last year.

In any case this 2012 box really depends upon one Dwayne Allen for reasons that shall be obvious (and this is actually one of the things which has me less than excited with the 2012 product).

Namely - both autographs were from Indianapolis Colts rookie tight end Dwayne Allen. At least they were different - one was the rookie ticket (on card, unnumbered) and one regular (sticker, numbered to 899. On one hand, its a player I wanted to get at least one auto from because he's from Clemson (wife is from western SC and comes from a family full of Clemson fans) so that makes life easier in that the autos were of players I wanted to get an auto from. But still, both autos being of the same player? Come on Panini

The memorabilia - let's see:

DeMarco Murray - Dallas Cowboys, RB Gamers plain white unnumbered. Interestingly this one says "game used" on it which is cool because that is from rookie year and not just left over rookie premiere materials. But its still plain white and there could be thousands of these because it is a very small patch.

Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens QB Franchise Foundations Prime - numbered to 49 this one at least is low numbered and multicolored. Of course, the colors are black and white but there is stitching so pretty nice and much larger patch than on the Murray Gamers. But oddly this one just says "player worn" - when? While Flacco was washing his car? Especially since I have to ask what Ravens uniform would just black and white without any purple. I want to like this card, its cool looking, but the statement "player worn" is hardly one that inspires confidence.

Interestingly enough last year, two of the memorabilia cards were also a plain white Dallas Cowboys and a prime Ravens.

Last year, I pulled a Prestigious Pros Tony Romo numbered to 249 and a Stars of the NFL Prime Ray Rice numbered to 40 -unlike the Flacco, the Rice is 4 colored with Black, Purple, Red, and White coming from the shoulder logo - both also say "game worn"

The third memorabilia last year was N. Suh of Detroit Rookie Review - it clearly came from the Rookie Premiere Photo shoot from the year before.

The autos were both sticker autos - Marcell Darius numbered to 299 and Amand Black numbered to 699.

So I guess if Dwayne Allen becomes the next star tight end this year's box might be better - but I actually liked the way that last year's cards looked - maybe I'm the only one.

RE: 2012 v. 2011 Prestige
I see people pulling luck and rg3 autos. I never seen a cam auto from last years set. This year seems more complete.

MAINLY COLLECTING KANSAS CITY CHIEFS PLAYERS
new updated bucket 12/16

(07-02-2012, 02:34 PM)robsvideos Wrote: I see people pulling luck and rg3 autos. I never seen a cam auto from last years set. This year seems more complete.
they didn't have any cam auto's in the 2011.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

Yep. My point exactly.

MAINLY COLLECTING KANSAS CITY CHIEFS PLAYERS
new updated bucket 12/16

and this year u get a patch per box. and there are actually on card auto's, unlike last year.
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

I think you just got a really good box last year that made you expect too much from an entry level priced product. I like this year's set much better than last year.

i only collect Brees....but i am liking 2012 alot better than 2011 in regards to his cards
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

(07-03-2012, 10:25 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: I think you just got a really good box last year that made you expect too much from an entry level priced product. I like this year's set much better than last year.
This right here is what I dont like about Prestige this year. The PRICE! Because just like this guy said, its an entry level product but yet the price is $96 online for a box. Since when are the low end products almost $100 a box??? Thats ridiculous. Why isnt it like 75 or something, like strata. Thats what low end prices are. I think the product is better this year over previous years, but now it doesnt matter because its more expensive.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

(07-03-2012, 11:37 AM)nthnoak Wrote: This right here is what I dont like about Prestige this year. The PRICE! Because just like this guy said, its an entry level product but yet the price is $96 online for a box. Since when are the low end products almost $100 a box??? Thats ridiculous. Why isnt it like 75 or something, like strata. Thats what low end prices are. I think the product is better this year over previous years, but now it doesnt matter because its more expensive.
I think that is the main problem - Panini is charging more and arguably delivering less value than last year.

I also do not think the cards looked as good in person as they do online (in person you can see they look cheap) - comparing the cards from last year, last year may have not had a very interesting design, but the cards looked like they were at least decently well made (talking about the base cards here). This year's cards look - while not as bad as early 1980s Donruss products - much closer to the quality level (without the printing errors) of what I was buying in the late 1980s. Not on par with previous products including previous years Prestige.
(07-02-2012, 04:31 PM)chasescardcave Wrote: and this year u get a patch per box. and there are actually on card auto's, unlike last year.
Too bad the on-card auto design is in my opinion ungainly. Also, with such a limited blank area for the auto, it loses some of the advantage of being an on-card auto. Also, do we know who common or rare those cards are at this point?

I want to like the patch card, but I'm worried by the fact that Panini is using almost as evasive language as Topps is using at this point as far as origins. Like I said "player worn" could mean Joe Flacco worn this to wash his car. The fact that they won't say "game worn" makes me think it simply isn't game worn - especially since the DeMarco Murray stated it was "game worn."

Well your right about the game worn vs player worn. If it doesnt say game worn, then it probably isnt. Thats how most stuff is these days. They just have the players wear a jersey for a bit and slap it on a card. The thing there is thats typically with rcs. Most veterans are game worn because they arent subject to wearing a ton of jerseys other than at the rc premiere. I seriously wish they would get rid of the rookie premiere altogether. That would do wonders for the hobby.
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/