`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Question: PC or Sets?

Philosophical Question: PC or Sets?
I'm curious as to how and why you guys collect. I'm a set-builder. I want every card in a set and maybe doubles of the important rookies and favorite players. I've recently taken on the 09-10 Upper Deck set. I made it with the base 2 times over in each box for a total of 4 times on the base set, but the rookies alluded me and of course, all those inserts including "immortals." So I've gone about adding to it via ebay, which I always saw as "cheating," before I realized how fun searching and bidding was.

Now, I'm not immune to the PC. I'm trying to get Gerald Wallace stuff wherever I see a good price, Henderson and maybe go back and get some interesting Olajuwans as well. But I'm nowhere near some of you guys on that stuff.

So, how and why do you collect? I'm really intrigued by some of the sets and PC's you guys are putting up!

RE: Philosophical Question: PC or Sets?
I like pc. Also i have a ton of wallace. I even have a pair of autographed game used player edition jordans from wallace. Let me know if your interested. My henderson pc is off limits. Lol.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

I used to love chasing sets as a kid. I still collect sets in my early 30's. But my collecting habits have changed over the years, along with numerous breaks I've taken away form the hobby.

Collecting sets is not the same. RC's are scarce/limited in some sets, making in very difficult to complete.

I stopped collecting between 2001-2007. I paid a visit to my LCS & fell in love with Ultimate Collection 2006-07 set. I bought a box & loved the autos & "legends /99" cards.. I just had to have the set, along with the Ultimate Signatures. Took me a little over a year, but I finished off the base, legends (subset), & RC/AUTO/350 set... only to find out, that there were 2-3 cards never produced & redemptions were fulfilled with "replacements" ... no I feel like my set will forever be INCOMPLETE! DISLIKE UD for that reason... I hate redemptions!

I Loved the set so much, I put together a 2nd base set, & am missing 2 cards from the Legends subset (Mashburn & Walt Fraizer). I have a few RC/AUTO duplicates, but it would cost to much to get a 2nd set of them.. I have a ton of duplicate Ultimate Signatures that are FT, if anybody is interested.. includes a KOBE Auto..

Chronology is my favorite set!! I was lucky to put together 2 base sets of each. The duplicate sets are FT/FS if anybody is interested. I bought a couple big "lots" off ebay for an excellent price, if not, I would of never chased these sets. I still have about 60% of a third set.. But don't want to put the money into completing it, since most of the harder to find cards were bought at BV (after shipping costs). They are beautiful sets!

Besides those sets, I have chased Limited 2009-10, including Legends /99 & RC/AUTOS... but only because I bought a case & was able to pull a Blake auto from one of my first packs I bought. Still chasing the Glass Cleaner autos.. but most are sold at BV or above, I have kinda given up on that set..

The most challenging set I've just about completed is Elite Black Box 2010-11. It was the most challenging, because it has a checklist of 200 cards all have a print run of /99. Box of 7 cards cost $150-200. It was probably the most expensive base set I put together.. even compared to Chronology which had a print run off /299 & /199 (both base sets have a 100 cards, while Black Box had /99).

LOOKING FOR: ANDREW BOGUT #77 /99 ELITE BLACK BOX BASE CARD (**WILL PAY $12 DELIVERED**)

I try to collect sets that are appealing & will hold value over time. I collect for a hobby, not for profit. That is a big difference between collectors today.. too many think they can make a quick buck busting wax & resale the singles..

Regarding PC... I collected Jordan Farmar since the beginning. I watched him play at UCLA a few times & thought he was a great asset off the bench when he was with the Lakers. Upset he was traded, but a sports team is a business. they do what they do, to try to win championships & make millions of dollars.. you can see my FARMAR PC at http://photobucket.com/farmar SCAN HEAVY!

Other PC collections.... is Elite Black Box autos of Lakers... only missing 2 "elite" version autos..
You can see my Elite Black Box Lakers Autos & Lakers PC at the following link:
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/j...%20LAKERS/

PC HOME PAGE: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
ENJOY! don't forget to "follow me" on my photobucket account...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

A few of my collections..

check out my other scans of PC, SETS, FT/FS cards at http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
including Topps Signature 2008-09 set I am working on & SPA 08-09 VARSITY LETTERS AUTOS of all LAKERS..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I have been an Atlanta Braves fan for over 25 years and have collected on and off since I was 9(I am 36 now). I just got back into collecting in April of last year. I started off just buying a few cheap rcs and base cards of random braves players just for fun.Now I only collect/buy certified autos. I only buy singles on ebay and comc, so Ive put together a nice little collection for very little money!
For basketball, I only really collect James Johnson rookie year autographs. I started collecting him because he used to kill it for me on NBA 2K11 and helped out my fantasy team last year with his blocks and steals! I also started collecting him because his autos are dirt cheap!

I am from west virginia. attend west virginia university. have been a huge mountaineer fan my whole life. with wvu being in the big east (until this year, hello big 12). I remember coming to morgantown and watching carmelo play wvu during his one and done at syracuse and drop 46 points in a huge beating of wvu. i had seen him on television in high school, and that was the best player i'd seen in person at the time. so i decided to follow him. i've went every year since he's been in the league to cleveland and/or philly (both 6+ hr drives from my hometown, now only about 3 from college) to watch him in person.
Always looking to collect Carmelo Anthony patches and autos

Still offering 20 dollar finders fee for anyone who can point me to the T or Y of 07-08 Topps letterman set.

Check My Melo PC on my bucket.
http://photobucket.com/nateadamsdubvmelo

[Image: ZfsEI.png]

I collect multiple things. I collect Pistons cards (over 3,750 different cards), different sets (some finished, MANY unfinished), and I just started also collecting Detroit Tigers (~500 different cards), Detroit Lions (~200 different cards), and Detroit Red Wings (74 different cards). I'm huge on Detroit Sports as you can tell, so whenever someone wants/needs something from me, they more than likely have something I need. Now when I go after sets (I only go after basketball sets), I do collect doubles of any Pistons cards so I have one each for PC and one for the set (the Pistons in the sets don't count towards my Pistons PC total). Whenever I want to buy a box, I TRY to get one where within 2-3 boxes, I should have the complete set or be very close to finishing it. Means I don't normally go for high end sets. If I were to decide to go for a high end set, I won't buy a box but try and trade/buy the cards for it. Like if I wanted to go for 2010-11 Gold Standard, I'm not spending $100 for 12 cards were only 4-5 of them go towards a base set of like 150+, that's ridiculous, even though you can pull some nice cards for trade. I'd rather buy some of the singles for $1 each and be 2/3 done with the set. Unfortunately all of this means that my money for cards is gone pretty quick. Smile I need to find a way to get a second job or something so I can get more cards. Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards