`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOUK!!!

RE: YOUK!!!
(06-24-2012, 06:38 PM)the cardboard fan Wrote: but not someone owed what he is owed to spot start
um...you cant afford 1 million this year, and 1 million to buy him out next year, plus give away two guys that arent very good and arent prospects anymore?

because that is what the chisox gave up

Agreed JSH

Its one thing to trade an overpriced player for a weak prospect and utility guy. Its a completely different story when you trade an overpriced player AND pay the majority of his salary for the same return.

It really seems like they traded him for the sake of trading him. I bet Bobby V didnt want him in the clubhouse anymore. There is no doubt that Youk would have helped us make the playoffs more than Stewart and Lillibridge will.
[Image: bWSA7.png]
Collecting: Alfonso Soriano and Boston Red Sox

(06-24-2012, 08:22 PM)bazooka joe Wrote: It really seems like they traded him for the sake of trading him. I bet Bobby V didnt want him in the clubhouse anymore. There is no doubt that Youk would have helped us make the playoffs more than Stewart and Lillibridge will.
i dont think valentine had anything to do with it. middlebrooks developed faster than they thought...they really thought he would be a september call up, but he killed AAA this season, then youk got hurt...and got wally pipp'd

they had to make room for will. just a necessity. if they need a guy that can fill in at dh or 1st, they can always call up lavarnway.

plus, this means no more agon in right field, which is a good thing

i dont think youk or the new guys would have/will help/ed much this year

youk has just been too injured

i still dont get sending the money with it though. that makes no sense, especially with what was reported to be multiple suitors

one thing is clear: this aint no nomar trade (i mean, at the time, we didnt know the nomar trade was going to be "the nomar trade", but still)

Personally, I wanted them to try out Middlebrooks in the OF. I understand that he hadnt played it in the minors, but I have to imagine he is young enough and athletic enough of a guy to handle it.

(06-24-2012, 08:15 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: um...you cant afford 1 million this year, and 1 million to buy him out next year, plus give away two guys that arent very good and arent prospects anymore?

because that is what the chisox gave up
His contract was for more than that... you take essentially half officially with where we are at in the season and then minus whatever the deal allowed

Why the Red Sox sent 5.5 mil or whatever you said and got those two AAAA lifers is beyond me but with that being said for 1 mil I still wouldn't want Youk in his current state I don't believe as that is not what they really need
My Bucket - w/ PC & Up For Sale Scans (NOT BACK UP TO DATE YET)

(06-24-2012, 09:30 PM)the cardboard fan Wrote: His contract was for more than that... you take essentially half officially with where we are at in the season and then minus whatever the deal allowed

Why the Red Sox sent 5.5 mil or whatever you said and got those two AAAA lifers is beyond me but with that being said for 1 mil I still wouldn't want Youk in his current state I don't believe as that is not what they really need
youk had 6.5 million left on his contract this year, the sox sent 5.5 to the chisox. thus, 1 million this year will be paid by the chisox

his contract next year is a club option 13 million, with a 1 million buyout

so again: youre telling me the braves couldnt afford to give a guy 2 million over 2 years, plus a couple nobodies? you think that would hurt them?
(06-24-2012, 08:43 PM)bazooka joe Wrote: Personally, I wanted them to try out Middlebrooks in the OF. I understand that he hadnt played it in the minors, but I have to imagine he is young enough and athletic enough of a guy to handle it.
a few issues:

1. you dont "try out a position" when you first gets to the bigs
2. they had him play some in the OF in ST. wasnt great at it
3. our outfield is actually really crowded, or about to become crowded
a. sweeney and ross, who both have played very well
b. kalish and nava, who both have played very well
c. ellsbury is back in 3 weeks, crawford back in 5-6

youk would be a significant upgrade from Francisco for the braves, and could spell freddie when he is slumping. for 1 million dollars, he could play 1st or 3rd, and would be an improvement at no cost

(06-24-2012, 09:40 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: a few issues:

1. you dont "try out a position" when you first gets to the bigs
2. they had him play some in the OF in ST. wasnt great at it
3. our outfield is actually really crowded, or about to become crowded
a. sweeney and ross, who both have played very well
b. kalish and nava, who both have played very well
c. ellsbury is back in 3 weeks, crawford back in 5-6
1. They could have sent him down to the minors to work on OF play
2. If Adrian can try OF, so can Middlebrooks
3. Sweeney has been hurt for a while now and its not like he is a stud. Hes been playing well, but I would much rather have had Youk and Middlebrooks than Sweeney. Kalish is no guarantee to play well and the same goes for Nava for the foreseeable future. Ellsbury and Crawford hopefully will be back on schedule and in regular form, but why not at least wait until the deadline and for them to actually be back?

I really cant imagine Youkilis would have lost value from now until the trade deadline unless he got injured. Why not wait til then so you get a better idea of what you are going to get from Ellsbury and Crawford ?

I do understand that we will have a crowded OF in the future, but right now there would have been room to at least experiment with Middlebrooks out there. I just dont see what the rush was.

This is all I will say being a Red Sox fan.

Youk, you the man and will be missed. Thanks for all the memories.

YOOOOOUK HIT A HOMA!!!

(06-24-2012, 10:38 PM)bazooka joe Wrote: 1. They could have sent him down to the minors to work on OF play
2. If Adrian can try OF, so can Middlebrooks
3. Sweeney has been hurt for a while now and its not like he is a stud. Hes been playing well, but I would much rather have had Youk and Middlebrooks than Sweeney. Kalish is no guarantee to play well and the same goes for Nava for the foreseeable future. Ellsbury and Crawford hopefully will be back on schedule and in regular form, but why not at least wait until the deadline and for them to actually be back?

I really cant imagine Youkilis would have lost value from now until the trade deadline unless he got injured. Why not wait til then so you get a better idea of what you are going to get from Ellsbury and Crawford ?

I do understand that we will have a crowded OF in the future, but right now there would have been room to at least experiment with Middlebrooks out there. I just dont see what the rush was.
you are ignoring a few things, but we'll skip all of them for the most salient one:

Youk can barely stay on the field, has had multiple injuries, and frankly, cant hit anymore

and not just this season. since last year, he has hit .250.

oh, and the other thing: he cant really play third base all that well anymore. injuries have robbed him of his gold glove caliber fielding he had 4 years ago, and now is a below-average fielder at third (he would be better at first)

so: why are we trying to find room in the lineup for a .225 hitter who cant field and is constantly injured?

(06-24-2012, 11:05 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: you are ignoring a few things, but we'll skip all of them for the most salient one:

Youk can barely stay on the field, has had multiple injuries, and frankly, cant hit anymore

and not just this season. since last year, he has hit .250.

oh, and the other thing: he cant really play third base all that well anymore. injuries have robbed him of his gold glove caliber fielding he had 4 years ago, and now is a below-average fielder at third (he would be better at first)

so: why are we trying to find room in the lineup for a .225 hitter who cant field and is constantly injured?
Im not sure what im ignoring?

And to answer your question, because I think he is a better player than that. I expect him to play very well for the White Sox.

I guess time will tell and we will see who was right.