`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need opinions......

RE: Need opinions......
(06-13-2012, 08:55 PM)ftballcardz Wrote: This is the same approach I have taken with my current set..... I've only seen 2 of the 8 SSP's needed, so I'm not going to be too picky on the patch or price ( within sane reason ).
I feel the same way Mike Smile Last night a Phillip Rivers patch I needed for my Crown set came up. Paid $30 for it. That hurt a little but at least it was a nice 3 clr patch Big Grin
(06-13-2012, 09:58 PM)melcmd Wrote: There are a lot of factors that go into to set building......set, size, print run, who's in the set (veterans, legends and/or rookies), time and, most important, budget. Small sets with large print runs don't usually require you to aggressively go after them. Small print runs ( or most things labelled "Prime") usually mean you take what you get when you see it. Hot rookie classes will always be overpriced. If it's #<5, you are going to have to pay.

I agree 100% with put the set together first and upgrade second. I also feel that if it's a short set, like any RPA set, you have to hit it early, hard and fast! I target the top 2 or 3 rookies when the product goes live in the first 24-48 hours. Usually sellers list for very short auctions and they don't know the market yet. By doing this, I get them out of the way. Then if I don't find anything other than scrubs for a while, I can look at the set and still feel like I've got some value. Over the next week or two, I pick up a lot of lower tier players in the set when everyone is chasing the big names. The lower tier players tend to show up more in the early release period. Big names will always pop up later because sellers will always feel they can get some value. Not so much for the lesser players.

You have to be in it for the long haul. You'll have to be looking on line and box breaks almost daily. There is a tendency to lose focus on the next new shiny product. Unless you have a huge budget, you have to stay committed.

You also need to know your financial limitations. Know that if the price is ridiculous, you can live without it for now in your set. As soon as the world knows you are doing it, prices can triple and quadruple because they know you need it. I don't usually share what I'm doing any more unless I have most of the big names, have 2/3's or more of the set finished and it's been months since I've seen anything to add. Then I go fishing!

One other thing.....if I know I am going to be doing a set in advance, I will start selling stuff I don't want any more to build up my Paypal account. That way, I can go at it when I start.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Mel for the tremendous advice Smile

I am really learning the value of picking up the big names first. My 09 Elite Throwback Threads I am now down to only the big names and they pop up rarely and for big $$$. Sad

I like your idea about selling before you start and bulking up your Paypal. Only thing is I love ALL my cards and have a hard time parting with them. I'm gonna have to work on that Smile

I do check every day for new listings and that has been helpful Smile

Thanks again Mel. I will definitely use your tips Smile