`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OT: Clear Grading Labels

OT: Clear Grading Labels
Is it time for BGS to add a new label for cards that just want to be slabbed?

I did a thread on this about a month ago on the grading boards. It's a pretty dead boards for the most part. Since this is my favorite boards and I know quite a few people here, I'd love to get some thoughts and input on this subject.

I used to be a heavy grader, but stopped when I started seeing a lot of inconsistencies in grades for items other than Chrome cards and autos. I love the BGS slabs, however, I don't care for the blue labels on authenticated cards just to be in the slab. When I see these for sale I usually pass because of the label. A lot of people do the same thing. Also 8.5's don't have the same appeal.

I have a number of low numbered cards (1's or #'d to 5) that I would love to have slabbed for protection. I personally, think it's time for BGS to add a new category for cards for unaltered cards that you want to get slabbed without that blue label. You are paying for it any way.

The blue label is a red flag that something is wrong with the card, otherwise there would be a numerical grade.

Most of my collection these days is in top loaders and magnetic holders for the higher end stuff. I'd feel safer with a slab......just no blue label.

Any thoughts out there on this? Would people who don't buy graded cards be more interested in a slabbed, authenticated card with great 'curb appeal' (sorry, house hunting right now)? Is a card in a slab with a clear BGS label visually more appealing?

RE: OT: Clear Grading Labels
I personally like the colors. But, like you, I do not like the blue labels. Every time I see one I pass it up because, like you said, it appears there is something wrong with the card aka it didnt meet minimum grade. To me I dont want a damaged authentic card. I would be more apt to buy a 6.5 Cam Newton Auto card for $150 then I would to buy the same card "authentic" for the same $150. Meaning I would overpay for the actual grade than underpay for "authentic". I have only one blue label and it is altered. Everything else I submit gets a grade. Its worth it for me just to know what is wrong with the card numbers wise. As for clear labels - I'm not sold on that, seems like it would be difficult to read. Maybe a green or something not so standoutish LOL
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I would love the idea, they could just write BGS on the slab. It would look nice too IMO.
[Image: Avcnw.png]
Football- Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Bolden

(06-11-2012, 11:38 AM)branesergen Wrote: I personally like the colors. But, like you, I do not like the blue labels. Every time I see one I pass it up because, like you said, it appears there is something wrong with the card aka it didnt meet minimum grade. To me I dont want a damaged authentic card. I would be more apt to buy a 6.5 Cam Newton Auto card for $150 then I would to buy the same card "authentic" for the same $150. Meaning I would overpay for the actual grade than underpay for "authentic". I have only one blue label and it is altered. Everything else I submit gets a grade. Its worth it for me just to know what is wrong with the card numbers wise. As for clear labels - I'm not sold on that, seems like it would be difficult to read. Maybe a green or something not so standoutish LOL
And that's the inherent problem with blue labels. The perception of alterations. Maybe there needs to be something to separate the altered cards.

I noticed the Beckett's logo stands out pretty well on the clear part of slabs.

I suspect more people would get cards authenticated or just slabbed if they could rather than get a numerical grade.

We all have cards that we love that have great patches but were cut wrong. It would be nice to have it slabbed, especially since you already know it won't have google at numerical grade.

Some series are not cut well. Wouldn't it be nice to protect those from further chipping and damage? I'd rather have the slab than to have an 8.0 grade andhave to crack the case to get more value. I've just wasted money grading in this scenario.

(06-11-2012, 11:50 AM)patsfan129 Wrote: I would love the idea, they could just write BGS on the slab. It would look nice too IMO.
My thoughts exactly!

I couldn't agree more, I sent something like 6 or 7 1/1s in on Wendy's submission just to be slabbed for protection. I honestly dislike the blue paper authentic label so I went ahead with having them graded. I wouldn't care if it was a silver label that just said " slabbed for protection " or " incased for protection " just not the dreadful blue I want to be psa label
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

(06-11-2012, 12:54 PM)biglump007 Wrote: I couldn't agree more, I sent something like 6 or 7 1/1s in on Wendy's submission just to be slabbed for protection. I honestly dislike the blue paper authentic label so I went ahead with having them graded. I wouldn't care if it was a silver label that just said " slabbed for protection " or " incased for protection " just not the dreadful blue I want to be psa label
I stopped grading 2007 Exquisite. Almost always got 8.5's. Ended up cracking the cases to sell. Had a nice Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson and J Russell triple auto that I wanted to sell during early 2008. It had a blue
Abel and got little interest until I cracked the slab and relisted it.

SPX in 2007 and 2008 were cut in such a fashion that I just didn't bother grading. 2008 SP Authentic graded well. 2009 did not. Too much chipping. It would be nice to have these slabbed without the blue label or a lot of 8.5s.

The numerical grade, for the most part, is only valuable if it's a 9.5 (9.0 for SP Authentic or Exquisite). Maybe if enough people respond, maybe BGS will take the time to consider a different label of some type for authenticated, unaltered cards.

More thoughts....

(06-11-2012, 11:25 AM)melcmd Wrote: The blue label is a red flag that something is wrong with the card, otherwise there would be a numerical grade.
(06-11-2012, 11:25 AM)melcmd Wrote: Is a card in a slab with a clear BGS label visually more appealing?
I like the idea of a clear label, but would not become the new "blue" in terms of being a red flag that something is wrong with the card?

Going one step further, I'd like to see an option akin to their personalization service where you could get a different color flip based on a certain quantity that would be graded at one time. I'd send in all of my Leather and Laces cards (chips, scuffs, indentions, etc) if I could have flips that were a black anodized look.

I am sure the majority of my cards will get 8.5 or higher, but I really could care less as I just want them all protected the best way possible... I don't like the blue labels either at all... I am going to start with my 1/1's, then the /5's, and so on...Smile

(06-11-2012, 04:35 PM)jplarson Wrote: I like the idea of a clear label, but would not become the new "blue" in terms of being a red flag that something is wrong with the card?

Going one step further, I'd like to see an option akin to their personalization service where you could get a different color flip based on a certain quantity that would be graded at one time. I'd send in all of my Leather and Laces cards (chips, scuffs, indentions, etc) if I could have flips that were a black anodized look.
I feel that it is time for a modification in the system to separate cards that are sent in just for protection. Of course, I'm sure the "powers that be" already know the blue isn't appealing. That way more people take a chance with numerical grading. This widens the bell curve and makes the higher graded cards seem less common.

Some brands, like Topps Chrome or 2010 Contenders, seem to grade out a lot of 9.5's and 10's. It defeats the purpose if everyone submits 9.5's and 10's. There would be too many in circulation.

(06-11-2012, 04:50 PM)slotman11 Wrote: I am sure the majority of my cards will get 8.5 or higher, but I really could care less as I just want them all protected the best way possible... I don't like the blue labels either at all... I am going to start with my 1/1's, then the /5's, and so on...Smile
I have a lot of die cut 1/1 autos from Donruss Elite over the years. The 2010 Certified Freshman Fabric Black autos had a lot of surface and corner defects. A 9.0 doesn't add value. An 8.5 or 8.0 takes something away from the card, even when lying out the set to look at. I would rather pay to have my entire set slabbed without a grade knowing all the while that some might grade 9.0 or better. I think there is a balance with the lower grades and is aesthetically more appealing.

Any other thoughts out there on this topic? If not clear labels, what else would look nice? Or, are you a fan of the blue labels and why?