`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1994 Topps Finest - are mine refractors?

1994 Topps Finest - are mine refractors?
This has been driving me nuts for a week now.
I bought a big box of random cards, and I've got about 6 or 7 '94 Topps Finest. They're all shiny and reflective, and the outlines of the players and the lettering of their uniforms and equipment is shiny as well.

I doubt that I was lucky enough to get a handful of refractors - but I can't seem to find a base card to compare them to. Seems like every '94 Topps Finest card on Google and eBay are listed as refractors, which again - seems unlikely to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

RE: 1994 Topps Finest - are mine refractors?
no pictures, no way of knowing, but doubtful they are refractors

(06-10-2012, 03:00 AM)fanofcardinals Wrote: This has been driving me nuts for a week now.
I bought a big box of random cards, and I've got about 6 or 7 '94 Topps Finest. They're all shiny and reflective, and the outlines of the players and the lettering of their uniforms and equipment is shiny as well.

I doubt that I was lucky enough to get a handful of refractors - but I can't seem to find a base card to compare them to. Seems like every '94 Topps Finest card on Google and eBay are listed as refractors, which again - seems unlikely to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Refractors usually have a rainbow color effect in the background.

Ray

if you hold it up to a light you will know if its a refractor or not with those

you can't mistake them usually if you had a regular to compare side by side you'd see what i mean and you'd never question which was which on those haha Wink

but yeah hold it up to the light and if its a glimmering shining rainbow of color you're in luck.

they were nice looking
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

You know when you hold a CD under the light and you can get a rainbow like effect on the surface. Same thing with a refractor only its more pronounced. If every card you have from that set looks the same its doubtful they are refractors.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

The cards all have that sort of "CD" effect. But I'm wondering - were all of the 94 Topps finest cards at least reflective? If so, they're probably not refractors. If they were not reflective, but made just like most other baseball cards, then they're not refractors.
The problem is, half the ones on eBay that were graded were graded as refractors - and I really hope that the grading companies aren't grading ALL of that set as refractors.

I'll post pictures in a few minutes.
Here are some photos, but the lighting isn't the greatest. I tried it with and without a flash.
And yes, I know the cards are dusty. I pulled them out of a box with about a thousand others.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they're all definitely reflective - but there are a ton on eBay that look exactly the same and they're graded as refractors.
I haven't been able to find a non-reflective card from this set.
The images at Beckett, when there are any, are the same for refactors and non-refactors.

So, my best guess is that the whole set was reflective, and there are a ton of professional graders that are just letting it slip by.
Otherwise, I was lucky and the guy that collected these only kept refractors.
[Image: 9zvv5v.jpg]
[Image: 29qk17a.jpg]
[Image: 23vgk0y.jpg]
[Image: ekhvts.jpg]
[Image: nq4qgz.jpg]
[Image: 2gwcket.jpg]
[Image: nfp26g.jpg]

they look like base to me.. on my website I have a 94 finest base/refractor of my guy scanned. if you want to check it out for reference goto www.josecansecocollector.com and look in the photo gallery.
My funny athlete names collection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/935847757314558
IG: dicks_n_funny_athlete_names
Whatnot: funnyathletenames