`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
is it any wonder that people don't trust most of the "other" grading companies?

RE: is it any wonder that people don't trust most of the "other" grading companies?
I just do not get the craze of getting a card graded? I respect cards that are graded and I am just as amazed as the next collector by amazing high grades, but if it is a PC item I don't understand having somebody else tell you how great your valued possessions are?

I can see grading vintage for purposes of authentication but modern? I can look at my own card and tell if it is scratched, slightly OC, or the auto was not the players best without paying somebody?

Please understand I am not trying to be rude or disrespect the people that do grade cards, I just do not understand the hype? Maybe somebody out there can enlightened a grumpy old timer like myself?
Thanks

RE: is it any wonder that people don't trust most of the "other" grading companies?
I agree. Just submitted a PRO Mint 10 Jeter and it came back saying edges were tampered with. I mean, are you kidding me PRO?
 photo banner_zpsbab74229.jpg

(06-07-2012, 11:49 AM)jasonmj Wrote: I just keep shaking my head. There are too many of these companies out there. I am not saying there isn't room for compitition (no offense Beckett you are still the best), but these companies make a joke out of the service.

Great replies and nice Colby!

Here is my Prado 2005 Chrome

[Image: scan0086.jpg]

and my base card just because it's a 10 Wink

[Image: scan0081.jpg]
You just trying to show me up?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin j/k Real nice Prado cards.
(06-07-2012, 09:54 PM)osujeffrey Wrote: I just do not get the craze of getting a card graded? I respect cards that are graded and I am just as amazed as the next collector by amazing high grades, but if it is a PC item I don't understand having somebody else tell you how great your valued possessions are?

I can see grading vintage for purposes of authentication but modern? I can look at my own card and tell if it is scratched, slightly OC, or the auto was not the players best without paying somebody?

Please understand I am not trying to be rude or disrespect the people that do grade cards, I just do not understand the hype? Maybe somebody out there can enlightened a grumpy old timer like myself?
Thanks
I agree.
It is crazy how many graded cards are out there and how many 'grading' companies there are. I really don't see why some people spend more to grade a card than the card itself is actually worth. All of my graded cards (only 4) came from trades, otherwise I'd own no graded cards.
The only card I've even considered getting graded is my 1979 Topps Ozzie Smith RC. However, if I sent it in and BGS gave it anything less than an 8, I'd be PO'd. I know it is at least an 8.
BTW, my other 3 graded cards are all 10's. 2 from BCCG and one from USA. I think that they would still be 10's (or at least a 9.5) if graded by BGS or PSA, but I only have them b/c I traded for them and they are PC cards.

Here is another good reference for this thread...(copied from BO)

edit - forgot I can't post live ebay auctions on this board.

Mantle gem mint 1969

At least the seller is honest in his description...lol

On topic, in terms of grading services etc. I believe Beckett needs to hire some new "Graders" I'm currently looking for work, have a vast knowledge of this hobby and all products and best of all I'm not cross eyed.

[Image: pujols.jpg]

See the flaw?
Will Sell Your Cards For A Low Consignment Fee, PM Me For Details!
[Image: BWBANNER.png]

I must confess I do not see it, but the scan is small and I am not that familiar with the atomic refractors
X

There's no real autograph.

It's not an auto!! hahahaha Imagine that? A Chrome Atomic Refractor Auto of Pujols???!!!
[Image: B1tP5.png]
*RED SOX * PATRIOTS * CELTICS * BRUINS*
*I'm currently looking for autos of Tom Brady, David Ortiz, and Yasiel Puig!!!*

(06-08-2012, 11:11 AM)willbbc2 Wrote: There's no real autograph.
ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Your more qualified then current employees, congratulations.
[Image: BWBANNER.png]

(06-07-2012, 09:58 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: I agree.
It is crazy how many graded cards are out there and how many 'grading' companies there are. I really don't see why some people spend more to grade a card than the card itself is actually worth. All of my graded cards (only 4) came from trades, otherwise I'd own no graded cards.
The only card I've even considered getting graded is my 1979 Topps Ozzie Smith RC. However, if I sent it in and BGS gave it anything less than an 8, I'd be PO'd. I know it is at least an 8.

BTW, my other 3 graded cards are all 10's. 2 from BCCG and one from USA. I think that they would still be 10's (or at least a 9.5) if graded by BGS or PSA, but I only have them b/c I traded for them and they are PC cards.
As for your first comment, you can specify a minimum grade. You'd be surprised by how many people think that their card should've been graded higher. Beckett has very high standards.

Same thing with your 2nd comment. BGS/BVG has very high standards. I would be willing to guarantee that they won't get 10's if they were crossed to BGS/BVG. And I'd bet that they wouldn't get 9.5's either.
(06-07-2012, 09:54 PM)osujeffrey Wrote: I just do not get the craze of getting a card graded? I respect cards that are graded and I am just as amazed as the next collector by amazing high grades, but if it is a PC item I don't understand having somebody else tell you how great your valued possessions are?

Thanks
As a die-hard Nolan Ryan BGS/BVG Supercollector, I take offense to your comments. Based on your comments, I'd have to say that Graded cards are not for you.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!